2 Replies - 3224 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2007 - 04:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

RoR multi-platform and svn

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

does anyone know of a way to 'ignore' single files (like dispatch.cgi and dispatch.fcgi) on a working copy, so i don't get asked to add them each commit... because i don't want them versioned as it messes up people working on win32 and linux (paths are different)...

does anyone know a good solution?

for now, i just deleted them from the repo, and uncheck them when i commit... just a bit annoying, just wondering if anyone else does anything better. thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RoR multi-platform and svn

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RoR multi-platform and svn

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

View PosttheRemix, on 18 Jan, 2007 - 03:29 AM, said:

does anyone know of a way to 'ignore' single files (like dispatch.cgi and dispatch.fcgi) on a working copy, so i don't get asked to add them each commit... because i don't want them versioned as it messes up people working on win32 and linux (paths are different)...

does anyone know a good solution?

for now, i just deleted them from the repo, and uncheck them when i commit... just a bit annoying, just wondering if anyone else does anything better. thanks

Wow, I clicked this post out of curiosity (I've been dabbling with Ruby for a bit), and I actually know the answer! Go to the svn root of your RoR project. Let's say you want to ignore the two files you mentioned that are in the root of the svn checkout
user@linux # svn propset svn:ignore dispatch.cgi .
user@linux # svn propset svn:ignore dispatch.fcgi .

If you want to also have it ignore ALL of the .tmp files in a temp/ directory, do this:
user@linux # svn propset svn:ignore "*.tmp" temp/

In cvs, if you create a .cvsignore file, then cvs will ignore the files specified in that file. So to use that same file in svn, do:
user@linux # svn propset svn:ignore -F .cvsignore

You'll then have to commit the properties, but they'll be ignored from now on.

I JUST stumbled on a page called HowToUseRailsWithSubversion that you might also find interesting. It'll tell you all the files you need to set up with the properties set. I've never worked with Rails, so I don't know specifics, but this page apparently does.

rockstar_
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: RoR multi-platform and svn

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

wow thanks a lot man!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -