8 Replies - 1233 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Servers - What are they?

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have been confused by the topic of servers every so often. I always hear of server maintenance, updating servers, etc., but never actually knew what they are. Here is what I think servers are (based on the interwebz):

A server is a special computer made specifically for I/O with its compatable clients to produce fast interaction with each other. A server-side program is developed for the needs of the project and a client is made to interact with that server. A server can hold several threads to hold many as many connections with clients as possible. A server (is/connects to) a database to store and send information to/from it's client. A sever can be limited by bandwidth caps set by an external company that specializes in providing Internet access for servers. The more servers you have, the more connections you can have to it.

Am I right/wrong? The only part I'm confused about is: what exactly is sever maintenance? Is it shutting off the servers for a while to cool off, or to relieve overhead because of database I/O?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Servers - What are they?

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Servers - What are they?

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

Basically yeah, a server is a dedicated host of information, websites, programs, whatever that distributes the info to other computers/"clients". They're kinda like the boss, and there's a bunch of other employees taking orders, getting info, and such from him/her. Really, any computer can be a server. I could get a dedicated IP or whatever from my ISP and host my own website and be considered a server, because it's hosting the website.

Every now and again you need to shut off your computer to get rid of any memory leaks, random stuff, etc. that clogs up the computer. Also, when they make updates to the site/database, they usually do it off to the side, then they have a scheduled "maintenance" to sort of replace/infuse the new stuff in so the updates take place. Can't can't just be fiddling with files while people are viewing them, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Pretty much what Neo said. You could also check this out http://www.wisegeek....maintenance.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

They also make sure the data on the server is backed up and they replace failed components or whole servers. I think someone told me a while back that most places plan for 10% of their servers failing and needing to be replaced each year.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

In a technical sense, a server is any computer that acts as a host of information of some kind (website, game servers, database, etc).

Servers are brought down for maintenance usually for software updates, OS/Security patches, or hardware changes (upgrades, etc). Most of the time we've brought servers down to apply security patches or hardware changes. Servers that you are thinking about are usually kept in a data center/room that is controlled for heat and what not so the only time a server usually goes down because of heat is if the HVAC or cooling system has a problem and the computer shuts itself off.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Or it get's hacked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

In computer networks, a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application) that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers. A client connects to the proxy server, requesting some service, such as a file, connection, web page, or other resource, available from a different server. The proxy server evaluates the request according to its filtering rules. For example, it may filter traffic by IP address or protocol. If the request is validated by the filter, the proxy provides the resource by connecting to the relevant server and requesting the service on behalf of the client. A proxy server may optionally alter the client's request or the server's response, and sometimes it may serve the request without contacting the specified server. In this case, it 'caches' responses from the remote server, and returns subsequent requests for the same content directly.for mor information about server you can go interra IT
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

All these big fancy words expanded my vocabulary! :D

In all seriousness, I now understand what it's all about, thanks to you all!

I have a feeling that shubhamrana joined just to answer this question. Thank you especially for that! Also, welcome to the </dream.in.code> family! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -