• +
  • Last »

140 Replies - 10248 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Bill Nye is a 'heretic'

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:44 AM

In Waco, Texas, people believe that god created two great lights, one for day and one for night. But Bill Nye dared say no! This guy dared publicly say, that moon does not produce it's own light, but rather reflects the light of the sun!

http://www.thinkathe...od-in-texas-for

Discuss P:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bill Nye is a 'heretic'

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bill Nye is a 'heretic'

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:00 AM

He's right. The biblethumpers are wrong. Nothing really to discuss. It's a fact that there is no light source upon, or within, the moon. Therefore it's not physically possible for the moon to emit any light. As stated, the moon simply reflects the light of the sun. Further proof is in the way that a lunar eclipse works. The moon goes dark because the Earth is between the moon and the sun, blocking the light from the sun and throwing a shadow across the moon. If the moon were a light source, then a lunar eclipse would be impossible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

So the creationism story shouldn't be taken literally. No seriously. There are some Christians who believe in a solely literal interpretation of the bible, which is quite honestly, a stupid thing to do. Of course some things are meant to be taken literally (like the gospels), but the creationism story is put the way it is because the details are unimportant - the only thing that is important is that it happened.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:56 AM

details about how the world and the universe came to be are unimportant? that is exactly how religious people think. I don't need to know details and facts, as long as i "know" it happened.
Some people aim to find the details and the facts, and in doing so reach different conclusions.

I'd rather belong to the latter of the 2.

-on topic
these people are just brainwashed. you can't call it anything else. how else can a person so easily throw all reason out the window.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

POPULAR

That's the whole core concept of faith, don't question it or think about it, just accept it and believe it. That's what makes it so difficult for me to respect those people at all, and why, much to the disgust of many of my in-laws, I refuse to let my 4 year old daughter participate in any children's event that is affiliated with any church, she's just too young and impressionable to defend herself against their brain washing attacks.
I have no problem with her learning about religion when she is old enough to make up her own mind, but I will not have her learn it as fact, I will tell her "this is what some people believe, and this is what I believe..."
So many people believe this stuff without question because they've had it drilled into them since birth. If you grew up never hearing anything about god or religion, and then someone came along and tried to convince you that the bible was true, you'd call them a nut job.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

Everything emits some form of light.
Even a human emits light.
Further Reading:
Photon
QED
Quantum Mechanics Guide
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

Oh look it's this thread again. :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

I think that faith is just a convenient substitute for logical thought, and these people ( the ones that just left ), are taking that convenience to a new level, especially when you won't even stick around to listen to someone else's view or opinion on the subject and automatically label them as 'wrong'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:15 AM

The nerve of that Bill Nye, spewing blasphemy, we should stone him to death.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 05 May 2011 - 06:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:17 AM

He's clearly into witchcraft. Where's a puritan when you need one?

This post has been edited by hookiethe1: 05 May 2011 - 06:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

-Off topic: It is true that the story of creation is not the most in-depth but this is how it was designed by the prophets (assuming it was), if they had given us the answer to our creation then what exactly would science have to look forward to? We know how we came to be, KTHXBAAI. :whatsthat: Isn't that one of the ultimate questions of science, to discover how we came to be, maybe the creator was being nice to humanity :P?

-On topic: Even if it does not produce its own light, it is still reflecting light of the sun. If there is a creator then perhaps it was designed this way?

This post has been edited by v0rtex: 05 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

View Posthookiethe1, on 05 May 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

That's the whole core concept of faith, don't question it or think about it, just accept it and believe it. That's what makes it so difficult for me to respect those people at all, and why, much to the disgust of many of my in-laws, I refuse to let my 4 year old daughter participate in any children's event that is affiliated with any church, she's just too young and impressionable to defend herself against their brain washing attacks.
I have no problem with her learning about religion when she is old enough to make up her own mind, but I will not have her learn it as fact, I will tell her "this is what some people believe, and this is what I believe..."
So many people believe this stuff without question because they've had it drilled into them since birth. If you grew up never hearing anything about god or religion, and then someone came along and tried to convince you that the bible was true, you'd call them a nut job.

I completely agree. I've always thought that when I'd have kids, I was going to sit them down around 6-10 (still innocent enough to not be cynical and skeptical, but intelligent enought to hold their own/persue curiousities. Plus when they're young they question everything, which is good.) and explain to them the differnent religions, ideologies, pros/cons of each religion or religion itself, and connatitions that come with it. I would let them choose whether or not they want to go, but if they ask to go before then (just to see what it's like and why all their classmates go to church) I might accompany them to a serman or two. That's what I did when I was little. My mom was more of a wannabe, saying that using the lord's name in vein was bad and not to dis religion (she still does that), but she's never been to church, so I never grew up with it. But my curiousity got the best of me, and I asked her to go to church with my neighbor, and so she let me. I went for a few months, paid the collection bucket like them, read the Bible, prayed, went to church camp, etc., but after like... 6 months or so, I was like "I don't get it, none of this makes sense. How can you say Jesus did/say that, and they're talking to me? There's no proof that he exists. I can't believe this." so I left, and never returned. I was about 8 when that happened. I wouldn't object to my kids doing the same thing, I mean, faith is a personal and born right, so if they want to be a Christian/Jew/Muslim/Buddhist/etc. I would support that ... except Scientology. Fuck that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

Wow... This story, again?

Here's the account from the guy who reported it, then the internet folk skew it, and then folks report on the skew, reposted bs on facebook, and thus made for typical internet sensationalism.

http://www.examiner....at-story-speaks

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.

"There was some mischaracterization of what happened," Woods says. It seemed like the story was always construed in such a way to make his hometown look like backwoods idiots. "The one that always floors me is they say, oh, he was booed. No, he wasn’t booed. I've gone back through the story, and nowhere does it say he was booed."
<...>
"Would you describe it as a huff?" we asked.

"No," Woods says, "More of a low murmur."

<...>
The main point is that in a crowd of 600 people, a few walked out, and were obviously upset, but most were receptive.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

necro-news?

I wonder how many down-reps that deserves.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 05 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Necronews built on a rumor of some gossip of a social media sensationalism.

There's also a great steaming pile of irony here.

Most definitely spades of "Otherization" as well. Hell the first five words in the blanket generalization, ("In Waco, Texas, people believe") made me snort my Cinco de Mayo morning hydration of choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »