11 Replies - 6688 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Rewriting family friends website

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm redoing my family friends website, and I need some help along the way.

Here is his current website: http://montanascabbards.com/index.php

Here is my redid website (half complete): http://www.dostalcom...ards/index.html

Do you think it's better? Besides the obvious (a purchasing system, changing all pages to what they actually say, images where they go), what needs to be implemented? Should the colors be changed? So on so forth. Any and all ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

-Cody

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Rewriting family friends website

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rewriting family friends website

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

It is good and looks nice than the previous. But I suggests;
- put contact us after hunting resources
- put the upper links in buttons as previous one
- dont forget icon for the site and give your site a bunner
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

It looks like you took your own sites template, changed the header and content, and called it original.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

@NeverPool: Didn't call it original :) Just trying to make it look better. What do you recommened over it?

@smohd: Thanks. I will move the Contact Us over
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

You should add some padding for your main content. At the moment the text pushes right up to the edge. Also try increasing the line height a little.

Overall I think it's good. It just needs some images in the content area to spruce it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

View PostCodyD, on 05 May 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

@NeverPool: Didn't call it original :) Just trying to make it look better. What do you recommened over it?

Create an unique design for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

As a designer it is your DUTY to give your clients the best of your work always. No excuses, that's lazy and a bad habit to get into.

By delivering a poorly made website you're giving a company the death sentence. No one and I mean NO ONE will take a poorly made site even remotely seriously. If it isn't within your capacity and talent level to give the client a site that is up to par then it would be best to advise them to hire a professional.

There's a time and a place to admit that something is over your head, be very wary of that line as you get into work.

Regarding the site itself, trash that and remake it from scratch. The site design has absolutely NOTHING to do with the product. Remake it completely then come back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

View PostLemur, on 05 May 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

As a designer it is your DUTY to give your clients the best of your work always. No excuses, that's lazy and a bad habit to get into.

By delivering a poorly made website you're giving a company the death sentence. No one and I mean NO ONE will take a poorly made site even remotely seriously. If it isn't within your capacity and talent level to give the client a site that is up to par then it would be best to advise them to hire a professional.

There's a time and a place to admit that something is over your head, be very wary of that line as you get into work.

Regarding the site itself, trash that and remake it from scratch. The site design has absolutely NOTHING to do with the product. Remake it completely then come back.

I took your advice into account, and deleted all the CSS from my file (apart from the page-container so it stays in a 750px box in the middle of the screen)

What do you advise to make the design look like? 2 or 3 column? only 1 column? Color scheme? I'm not new to writing the CSS, I, however, am slightly new to designing it to fit the product. I don't exactly know how to design it to fit certain products.

Thanks in advance

-Cody
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Look into the rule of thirds and the golden ratio for design ideas.

Color: Adobe Kuler. Either that or take a photo and take the 2 most prominent colors from it and 3 similar ones for a theme (4-5) which also needs to account for a dark and a light color.

You're not required to really scrap much of any CSS but you may look at using wordpresses normal html skeleton as a start. Quite useful and it also helps to have it ready for a CMS later on.

I reuse substantial portions of my CSS for margins and such but I change it a lot. Think of it as a skeleton system more than a copy-design.

I would recommend having a total width between 800 and 1000, I find 900 is the easiest to work with myself.

Get a small moleskin journal for sketching and carry it around everywhere. Whenever an idea hits you write it down. Get used to doing that, no matter how stupid it seems. Make at least 5 pages worth of sketches and notes on the website you're making.

Sketch, envision, detail, repeat. Keep at it until ideas start forming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostLemur, on 07 May 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

Look into the rule of thirds and the golden ratio for design ideas.

I am right now.

Color: Adobe Kuler. Either that or take a photo and take the 2 most prominent colors from it and 3 similar ones for a theme (4-5) which also needs to account for a dark and a light color.

So I need to have 3 light and 2 dark colors or so?

You're not required to really scrap much of any CSS but you may look at using wordpresses normal html skeleton as a start. Quite useful and it also helps to have it ready for a CMS later on.

Oops :) Too late. Scrapped all my CSS apart from the page container. Haha

I would recommend having a total width between 800 and 1000, I find 900 is the easiest to work with myself.

So use 800-1000 over 750?

This post has been edited by CodyD: 07 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

General rule of thumb is to aim for one highlight, one shadow, and 3 variants. At least, that's what tends to serve me best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blub

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

sorry for not reading all the answers but:
the content is hard to read. i would stick to white or black with text where black is even better ;)
also its sort of strange, that the content is black and the outer part white... wouldnt it make more sense the opposite way?
anyway.. its your website, these few words where just my first impression of the website :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1