1 Replies - 926 Views - Last Post: 09 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Basic version of website up in one month using Drupal or CMS?

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi guys!

I have an idea for a website, and I'd like the main page and forum to be up in a little over one month from now. There is a website I like called Runeterra (http://runeterra.com/index.php) which uses a free forum software called SMF which I think works really nicely, and I saw on GoDaddy.com that SMF is available.

Also, I want authorized users to be able to sign in and post new topics/blog posts, etc, and so I was thinking about using a CMS because it would be the easiest way to get a site up and running. I have a few questions about this though, so I would appreciate it if someone with experience could help me:

1) The blog posts on Runeterra.com have a read more button, which link to an SMF forum post. With Joomla, Drupal, or another CMS, will I be able to connect the website itself (running the CMS) to SMF, which is a separate forum installation?

2) How much flexibility will I have in customizing the website? The CMS makes it way easier for me to manage users and content, but I will have to use a template, or spend lots of time trying to customize and create a new template, where it may be easier to just add PHP/MySQL to a custom website WITHOUT a CMS.

3) A normal website with very little backend code can be up in a month, but I'm not the strongest custom PHP/MySQL coder, which is why I want to use a CMS (for the first time). What do you think I should do? Should I use the new Drupal 7 or something more simplistic?

Thank you SO much for the help you can provide.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Basic version of website up in one month using Drupal or CMS?

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Basic version of website up in one month using Drupal or CMS?

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

Everything on that website (except SMF) looks handmade. Which means they created their own CMS/Blog system.

If you where to use Drupal or Joomla, you would either have to find a plugin to integrate them with SMF, or, of course, make one yourself using their selective APIs.

Where you to make your own CMS/Blog system, you would only have to use and follow the SMF API.

In the long run, I would make my own CMS system. Using pre-made ones like the ones you've asked about tends to drag you down, whilst if you make your own, you have no limits as to what you can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1