14 Replies - 7482 Views - Last Post: 22 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

#1 jammmie999  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-April 09

Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hey guys,

Is there any way that I can change the date advertised to a program e.g. by filtering and intercepting its API requests. So that this program thinks it is another day.

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Change programs date

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

In other words, today is 09may but you want your program to be told it is 01april?

So that the demo doesn't time out and quit, I presume.

We won't help you circumvent the security of someone's program.
Consider purchasing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 jammmie999  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-April 09

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 May 2011 - 09:27 PM, said:

In other words, today is 09may but you want your program to be told it is 01april?

So that the demo doesn't time out and quit, I presume.

We won't help you circumvent the security of someone's program.
Consider purchasing it.

No, I am actually working with a peice of legacy software that does not work with dates later than 1st Jan 2000. And I would like to keep my system time intact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 NickDMax  Icon User is offline

  • Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

Reputation: 2250
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9,245
  • Joined: 18-February 07

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Run the program in a VM and set the date on the VM to the mid-1980's. Basically, you probably COULD write some driver to specifically spoof the date for that particular piece of software. But it would be a difficult task and because of its potential for misuse/abuse you would probably find it difficult to get a lot of help -- however since data/time is a service of the OS there is probably a way to control the interface.

The better option in my opinion would be to take a more drastic approach and control the environment the software runs on. Either by installing it on some old computer from the era it was from, or by using emulation to create a virtual version.

The BEST option is to replace the software with something more modern.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Please excuse my skepticism, but requests to do malicious things come in often.

I'm just curious now... What is the software that doesn't cope beyond Y2K?
Wouldn't you have run across this sometime in the last 10.5 years? It seems a little late to be discovering Y2K issues.

As a thought, you could run it inside a VMware virtual machine that has the date rolled back.

Of course this is a coding site: Make a new program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jammmie999  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-April 09

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

The organisation I am working for currently utalizes windows 95 machines to run there financial control software. They are finally upgrading to Win7. But for the past 11 years they have had to set there dates to 1999. I am responsible for upgrading and would like the new Win7 boxes to have accurate dates, but intercept this programs API request for the date, so that the application runs properly and I don't have the source code to be able to update the program to run properly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 RandomlyKnighted  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 118
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,370
  • Joined: 14-January 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

This is the first time I've heard of a company having to upgrade from Windows 95. Most companies I've encountered are using either Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jammmie999  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-April 09

Re: Change programs date

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

95 isn't there main OS. It is just an OS that are running specifically for this financial control software. They use XP elsewhere in the organisation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Hiram  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 69
  • View blog
  • Posts: 203
  • Joined: 02-June 09

Re: Change programs date

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

That must make for some pretty great ledgers! 11-12 years worth if 1999. Hope they never get audited, haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 09 May 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

This is the first time I've heard of a company having to upgrade from Windows 95. Most companies I've encountered are using either Windows 2000 or Windows XP.


That's because you're 19 years old. You were only 8 when the rest of the world was panicking over Y2K. And only 6 when Window'95 was replaced by Window'98.

You also never lived in a time when there weren't CD's and DVD's. But many of us remember 8-track tape cartridges being replaced by cassette tapes. And the battle between VHS and BetaMax.

I'm not putting you down. Just saying that you never heard of it happening because it was before your time. But it is a good illustration has to how ridiculous the situation is, that a company chose to roll back the dates on their accounting computers rather than buy new software. And even now still won't spend a few dollars on new software but instead is looking for ways to continue to use this 2 decade all stuff.

I say again to the OP:
  • Buy new software
  • Make new software


At the very least you don't roll back to 1999 as the year. If you roll back to 1911 then at least '11 still looks right. Then next year it will automatically roll over to 1912 and so on. It just seems that would at least make it easier to correlate with the real year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 RandomlyKnighted  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 118
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,370
  • Joined: 14-January 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 10 May 2011 - 07:09 AM, said:

That's because you're 19 years old. You were only 8 when the rest of the world was panicking over Y2K. And only 6 when Window'95 was replaced by Window'98.

You also never lived in a time when there weren't CD's and DVD's. But many of us remember 8-track tape cartridges being replaced by cassette tapes. And the battle between VHS and BetaMax.

I'm not putting you down. Just saying that you never heard of it happening because it was before your time. But it is a good illustration has to how ridiculous the situation is, that a company chose to roll back the dates on their accounting computers rather than buy new software. And even now still won't spend a few dollars on new software but instead is looking for ways to continue to use this 2 decade all stuff.

I say again to the OP:
  • Buy new software
  • Make new software


At the very least you don't roll back to 1999 as the year. If you roll back to 1911 then at least '11 still looks right. Then next year it will automatically roll over to 1912 and so on. It just seems that would at least make it easier to correlate with the real year.


Haha I remember cassette tapes and when CDs became popular. When I was 5 my sister had a car with a cassette player and she had a personal CD player she used. At the time Wal-Mart only had a very small section for CD's. I remember my dad upgrading to Windows 98 and how relieved he felt knowing it was more stable than Windows 95. I also remember playing an old Cabelas Deer Hunter game on Windows 95. I don't remember the Y2K panic at all, because I wasn't huge into computers at the time other than to play games.

In relation to the OP, I agree with tlhIn`toq when you said you should either buy new software or make new software. If it was me, I'd buy the new software in order to have less headaches in the long run. Plus you wouldn't have to deal with the year situation anymore. You're biggest trouble will be to make the transition from the old software to the new one, but once that is done then you are good to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 10 May 2011 - 07:29 AM, said:

Haha I remember cassette tapes and when CDs became popular. When I was 5 my sister had a car with a cassette player and she had a personal CD player she used. At the time Wal-Mart only had a very small section for CD's. I remember my dad upgrading to Windows 98 and how relieved he felt knowing it was more stable than Windows 95. I also remember playing an old Cabelas Deer Hunter game on Windows 95. I don't remember the Y2K panic at all, because I wasn't huge into computers at the time other than to play games.


<Nostalgic fade-in>

The older I get the more amazed I am at how much happens in one person's lifetime.

Just in driving years alone, my father went from no radio in the wood sided ice delivery truck he drove at age 14, to AM radio, to adding an under-dash 8-track in a VW Rabbit, to cassette, to built-in CD and GPS in his final vehicle.

Or 66 years from the invention of the airplane to landing men on the moon.

The first TRS-80's came out when I was in school and I was hooked. Bought a Commodore VIC-20 with my odd-job money. My smartphone has more power than a server of that era. I can barely envision what they will be in the next 30 years I should be alive.

And the OP's company will still be rolling back the date on their virtual windows 95 installation. :eek:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 Hiram  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 69
  • View blog
  • Posts: 203
  • Joined: 02-June 09

Re: Change programs date

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

The gap is much more visible with modern technology. I have a phone with a 1Ghz processor, my little old netbook from 2009 doesn't even have power like that.

I recently got handed a friend's laptop to fix. It has 256 meg of ram. Once again, my phone has more than that!

It's always impressed me how quickly technology changes, even across a life time. I can't imagine what the world will be like in another few years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 NickDMax  Icon User is offline

  • Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

Reputation: 2250
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9,245
  • Joined: 18-February 07

Re: Change programs date

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

@jammmie999 -- IS this actually a DOS program? That is, does it use Win95's GUI or an old text based one?

For VMWare there is software you can use to create and exact copy of the current computer into a VM. This is beneficial because, as I understand it, it can save you from having to re-license software so long as it only runs on 1 instance at a time. Of course read your EULA but I believe that Win95's agreement is that you never run the OS on 2 computers at the same time. So as long as you never power up the old machines (and only run them virtually) then you never violate the license.

If it IS a DOS program then you may want to look at DOSBox as your VM. Again virualization will put the program into a nice container that you can control.

as for the original question: Windows 95 was a simpler time. You might get away with writing some interrupt handler to handle the date. Of course the problem there is working out how to tell that the request is coming from that particular piece of software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 RandomlyKnighted  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 118
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,370
  • Joined: 14-January 10

Re: Change programs date

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

View PostHiram, on 10 May 2011 - 08:52 AM, said:

The gap is much more visible with modern technology. I have a phone with a 1Ghz processor, my little old netbook from 2009 doesn't even have power like that.

I recently got handed a friend's laptop to fix. It has 256 meg of ram. Once again, my phone has more than that!

It's always impressed me how quickly technology changes, even across a life time. I can't imagine what the world will be like in another few years.

Exactly, one of my computer's that I have just sitting around came with 256MB RAM, 2.7GHz Celeron and a 40GB hard drive. The laptop I got back in October had 4GB RAM with a 250GB hard drive and a 1.07GHZ Intel i3 quad core processor. That's a huge difference.

The the OP: Does everyone in the company use the finance software or just a select few people?

This post has been edited by RandomlyKnighted: 22 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1