4 Replies - 1659 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2011 - 08:11 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Error list keeps popping up

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

I am working on an ASP.NET WebApplication (not a WebSite) with Visual Studio 2008.

Whenever i am editing the front-end files (the .aspx/.ascx files), the error list window just keeps popping up constantly every time an ASP.NET compilation error exists in the code. For example, just begin writing as asp tag and don't finish it and the error list window will pop up after just a 1~2 seconds. When i save the file, the error list will pop up immediatly. That is, of course, if there is an ASP.NET error in the code. This is EXTREMELY annoying. It should open the error list window only when i compile the application...

The weird thing is that if you are working on a WebSite, it behaves perfectly. It only opens the error list window when you compile the page or the site, not every freaking time you are trying to edit the page.

I need the error list window to pop up *ONLY* when i compile the application, i need it to not keep popping up constantly, getting in the way of my intermediate work.
I've tried all the options in Visual Studio and searched google with all the keywords i could think of but i can't find any solution to this miserable behavior.

This post has been edited by PauloAugusto: 12 May 2011 - 04:31 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Error list keeps popping up

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Error list keeps popping up

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:45 AM

The only time I've had something like that happen is when my mouse was accidentally hovering over one of the tabs at the bottom when I had those windows set to autohide.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

I was already expecting it to be one of those *REALLY ANNOYING AND PRODUCTIVITY KILLER* problems that microsoft knew about but disregarded completely because of whatever reason (unethical attitude towards paying costumers / force WebSites instead of WebApplications / force Visual Studio 2010 / etc).

Answer is: it's a recognized bug comming ever since Visual Studio 2005 not fixed by Microsoft and, apparently, never intended to be fixed:
http://connect.micro...spx-source-view

Long live Microsoft once again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Use Visual Web Developer Express , not VS2005. Far newer and has the best features for ASP.NET Dev
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

one way to prevent it is to just go ahead and pin it open and then just shrink it down to wear it's barely viewable, which is really more of a work around than a solution. Since you made this post and I started paying attention I've noticed that it does that to me to when I'm editing an aspx page and am working inside a web control, say adding template items or something like that. Visual studio is trying to error check the code before the code is finished being written which wouldn't be bad if it just did the red squiggly underline like it does in the .cs files but when it pops up the error console every couple of seconds it starts to get annoying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1