9 Replies - 6330 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2007 - 08:37 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating an embedded MS-DOS program

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

This is a general question...can you create a program to view a MS-DOS program within a window?

This post has been edited by Videege: 23 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating an embedded MS-DOS program

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating an embedded MS-DOS program

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

View Postbrottmayer, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 03:54 PM, said:

This is a general question...can you create a program to view a MS-DOS program within a window?

:huh: Sorry i do not understand the question. Can you explain a bit?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

View Postm2s87, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:13 PM, said:

Let's say that you have a MS-DOS program that you use often. Generally, when you start the application, it completely changes your monitor to show the MS-DOS program in full screen mode. In this mode, it is hard to look at other options (programs, etc.) that is on your desktop without having to press the windows button to get to the normal screen.

What I am asking is, can we design a functionality with the form in Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, to open up that MS-DOS program inside that window form and not occupy the full screen of the monitor. That way you can access the other options (programs, etc.) that is on your desktop or etc.

I hope I've explained this a little better... :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

to reduce the size of the window, just press alt+enter, this will window any fullscreen application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

View Postbrottmayer, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:20 PM, said:

View Postm2s87, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:13 PM, said:

Let's say that you have a MS-DOS program that you use often. Generally, when you start the application, it completely changes your monitor to show the MS-DOS program in full screen mode. In this mode, it is hard to look at other options (programs, etc.) that is on your desktop without having to press the windows button to get to the normal screen.

What I am asking is, can we design a functionality with the form in Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, to open up that MS-DOS program inside that window form and not occupy the full screen of the monitor. That way you can access the other options (programs, etc.) that is on your desktop or etc.

I hope I've explained this a little better... :D

So you want to disable CMD fullscreen for some program that is running with vb.net?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:23 PM, said:

to reduce the size of the window, just press alt+enter, this will window any fullscreen application.

William, thanks, I realized that, but I just thought that if there was a way to do it, it would be nice. B/C I have had people tell me that they hate that they cannot see their desktop and it's disconcerting to them since now-a-days people are used to seeing a desktop and windows, whether it be with a PC or a MAC. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

what program are you running that launches a full screen command prompt? There are ways to force a minimize or is that not what you are looking for? Is the app itself in the prompt?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:46 PM, said:

what program are you running that launches a full screen command prompt? There are ways to force a minimize or is that not what you are looking for? Is the app itself in the prompt?

Well It's a program that we have at my job call Alpha 4 and it's an MS-DOS program. I was thinking of creating a windows "shell" (if you will) that would load this Alpha 4 inside the "shell" and maintain the effects of a windows function but running a MS-DOS program internally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

View Postbrottmayer, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:50 PM, said:

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 23 Jan, 2007 - 08:46 PM, said:

Well It's a program that we have at my job call Alpha 4 and it's an MS-DOS program. I was thinking of creating a windows "shell" (if you will) that would load this Alpha 4 inside the "shell" and maintain the effects of a windows function but running a MS-DOS program internally.

I guess you could use qemu, and install Dos in there and run your app in it (this would work for any unix based system) :blink: This should work as you wanted. :D

You could use Shell32.dll to make a little program or as mentioned before, use key shortcut Alt+Enter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

I guess you could use qemu, and install Dos in there and run your app in it (this would work for any unix based system) :blink: This should work as you wanted. :D

You could use Shell32.dll to make a little program or as mentioned before, use key shortcut Alt+Enter.

Well I would rather use the windows functionality in Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition. What about using something like this:

Process.Start("Program.exe")

Would something like that work? Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1