3 Replies - 1556 Views - Last Post: 14 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Poll: Which looks better on Resume? Internship or Fulltime Employment? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one looks better on resume?

1. Internship (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Fulltime Employment (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Which looks better on Resume? Internship or Fulltime Employment?

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

I have an offer for a part time internship doing programming and security for a medium grocery chain at their home office. It's paid and part-time but I feel doing it and my business would conflict and much like it did with my job at NCR cause tardiness. I'm wondering which looks better on a resume and to potential employers? I have 3 years of professional IT experience plus 2 before of student system and network admin for my high school so all together about 5 years.

I'm thinking of taking it and just see what happens and thought I'd get some other opinions on how much an Internship really matters to employers.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which looks better on Resume? Internship or Fulltime Employment?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which looks better on Resume? Internship or Fulltime Employment?

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Depends who you internship with and who you worked for. If you internship at a fortune 500 company, that speaks more than full time work at a mom and pop shop nearby. If you internship at a fortune 500 company or had equivalent full time work experience, the work experience will surely win.

Employers see internships as learning experiences... which they are. Full time work is seen as being an expert and established which is what most want at their company.

In your case if you internship with a company or full time work at your high school, perhaps the internship would seem more desirable. Working at a high school is not exactly glorified.

But in most cases full time work experience beats down internships. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

I was fulltime with NCR Corporation which is a Fortune 500 company. The internship isnt exactly mom and pop store its Harps Foods but it isnt big either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Well there you go then, full time work at a fortune 500 company will surely be seen as more desirable to potential employers than an internship with a small largely unknown company. Plus, if you feel it may conflict with your side business then it appears that it would be better to do the full time than the internship.

I think it should much more cut and dry now. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1