• « First

87 Replies - 47266 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Gaming Challenge

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

View PostCasiOo, on 11 August 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

I have only halfway done projects.. If just I could fully commit to one.

I could upload my 50% bomberman project if anyone is interested..
It is possible to pack image folders together with your runnable jar? how? (eclipse)

Mine wasn't nearly done when I gave it to Dogstopper either.

If anybody wants mine:

Here's my submission PM to Dogstopper since I don't want to re-type it.

There's a lot yet to be done on my game (optimization, aesthetics, etc) but I'm going to be away from my computer until after the contest deadline is over. Everything works though so it's ready-ish for submission.

Some pics of it:

http://imageshack.us...eenshotthn.png/
http://imageshack.us...enshot1zkm.png/
http://imageshack.us...eenshot2fd.png/
http://imageshack.us...eenshot3wg.png/
http://imageshack.us...reenshotbt.png/
http://imageshack.us...reenshotbt.png/

Overall, this being my first game and first major project I feel I did pretty well. I didn't think it was going to be as much work as it was though. Although the process was a lot of fun.

I based it off a game I play on my TI-89 calculator Phoenix by Patrick Davidson. His site:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~pad/

When I get word from him I'm going to open a Google Code project on it. Hopefully I'll be able to get all the kinks worked out of it.

On my to-do list for it:
Finish level designs (mostly done)
Finish enemy designs (again, mostly done)
Optimize (long way off - never done optimization because I never needed to before)
Get better images (I'm terrible with graphics)
High score list (Once I get done with all the levels)
Game end screen (Just ran out of time)

Attached File  Phoenix_0.1.zip (157.08K)
Number of downloads: 89
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

is it to late to submit guys?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

If you have one, send it to me or Dogstopper tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 11 August 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

stackoverflow, how come? :(

I got carried away with my other project and I neglected my game. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

@dogstopper : if you are extending the dates the let me know the exact time coz i have done 60% of my new project and would like to give this one instead of old ones
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:53 AM

nicks707, I'm not extending the due date. But if you can get SOMETHING to use by Monday, when judging well, begins, I'm sure we can add you. Just try and get it last minute working.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Alright, the results are based on 3 factors - game play, structure, and efficiency. Game play takes 40% of total score and is based on factors like the controller handling, levels, and other game design factors. The structure also took 40% of the score, because an effective structure leads to a program that can be well maintained. Finally, the efficiency is how well the code written was implemented. Did it use modern APIs? Did it have warnings? Things like that.

The results and the totals are below.
Name        Game Play    Structure    Efficiency    Total        
Nicks707            8            4             6        6
HiddenDragon        7            4           3.5      5.1
Casi00              3          8.5             9      6.4

So, without further ado, let's congratulate CasiOo for winning the tournament! Please contact me for details on your prize! Everyone that participated gets an award that will display in their profiles under the awards tab. Thanks for participating.

Judge's comments are below:

HiddenDragon:

Judge 1 Comments:
Your game play was good, however, the controls felt sluggish and they didn't always respond to input very well. Also, I keep recieving a NullPointerException in level 3, which is not truly that serious in it's own accounts, but you need to place some important things in place like error handling.

I feel that most of your code could be EASILY cleaned up by using more effective OO tecniques, like creating an Enemy class that you can simply change the properties of by passing in arguments to the constructor, rather than simply allowing a whole class dedicated to that purpose. In this case, you would want to accept an image parameter to finish it. Also, you are comparing Strings with ==, which is a bad thing, and you are using depreciated mathods.

Overall, you are off to a good start, but I'd like to see more fixes in that area.

Judge 2 Comments:
-Use of deprecated, non-generic Collections
-Comparing Strings using ==
-I feel like use of AncestorListener was a complicated way to get CardLayout to work
-Overcommenting imports
-Perhaps the explosionTimer could have been in Sprite, with a protected Image[] for the explosions that each subclass deals with instantiating
-Overuse of subclassing Sprite for Bosses and Enemies. Create a Boss and Enemy class, each of which accepts an Image.
-Disposes the Graphics object in paint()

-Overall, there is a good start at designing the program. It could be cleaned up a little, though. Within each class, there is a lot of redundnacy
that can be eliminated by better adherance to OO practices.

Nicks707:

Judge 1 comments:
I really enjoyed the simplicity of this game, and it really worked well at what it did. The controls responded nicely, and it did exactly as it should have done.

On the other hand, all of your code was in a single file (and a single class). I think that you would greatly benefit from separating out your code into different functional parts. In addition, you should try to either use Swing (and its Timer class), or create an efficient game loop in a separate part of your code. Basically, the engine feels cluttered in with the rest of the code.

Great start!

Judge 2 Comments:
The gameplay is good, but the structure of the code is very antiquated. AWT is a dead platform, and should be avoided in favor of Swing.
Techniques like use of getGraphics() and Threading should also be avoided in favor of using the Swing Timer to invoke repaint().
All painting should be confined to the paint() method. In addition, the paint() method should invoke super.paint() to handle key
superclass functionality. Some of the methods, like your NewColor() method, could have been greatly simplified as well. Creating an array instance
field containing Color.RED, Color.BLUE, and Color.GREEN, and having NewColor() return colorArray[rand.nextInt(2)]; would have been sufficient.
Also keep in mind elements in an int[] by default are initialized to 0. So looping to assign 0 to all the elements is unnecessary.
Structurally, the code was overall well organized. Some of the indentation and spacing conventions inhibited readability though.
Overall, the game played well, but there is a lot of refactoring to be done to improve maintainability from a programmer's perspective.

CasiOo:

Judge 1 Comments:
Your game was not actually finished, which is why you have the low score. However, from what I could see, it was going to turn out VERY well. The controls were extremely well written and the character just seems to float.

I don't have much to say about your structure. I think you did a fantastic job structuring your code, and even your packages to do the induvidual tasks efficiently and with very little code. Good job!

Your game just needs to be finished.

Judge 2 Comments:
Overall, the structure and efficiency of your game is very good. A couple points, though. First, rather than making your CollisionEvent class a Throwable,
you should make it an Event instead and piggyback on the existing event-handling functionality in Swing. Second, avoid naming your classes the same things
as existing classes in the JDK. Map and Canvas are two examples of this. Renaming these to GameCanvas and GameMap would be more descriptive and clear up
any potential confusion. Overall, your code was very well written and very well designed!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

thanks for the appreciation ...

yea i know my code was bad from maintenance perspective ... all things cluttered in one place ... no comments and spacing ....

sorry for bad aspects
:D
regards
nicks707
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

Any chance of seeing the winning contributions? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#85 CasiOo  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

You want to see the game or the actual code? I will upload the newest version where I have done a lot more :) But damn there are a lot of ugly code.. I think I just need more experience, so I eventually figure out how to do it the 'right' way :P

I like how players get stuck if they get hit by a moving bomb :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#86 CasiOo  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

This is not the version submitted, but instead the newest version
http://www.speedysha...4675/Upload.rar

Don't flame too much :) thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

CasiOo, can you re-upload that or a newer version please?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

try my game too ... just unrar the file and click on html file !!! enjoy :P :D

some of my good codes :P :D

http://www.mediafire...8aq0gmtb9d9qu90
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +