2 Replies - 2587 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2011 - 01:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Multiple Choice Programme for GRE words

Post icon  Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

I'm not a proficient Python programmer nor am I here for help in homework. I've simply decided to take up Python as the programming language of choice in an attempt to make a 'Self learning' 'Auto storing' GRE wordlist programme; and I'm here looking for advice, hints or tricks that may come my way in the process. Below is a vision of how I see the programme:

1. A generic file that contains the GRE words in one column, number of times the word has been selected for the question in the next column, and a mistake ratio in the third column.

2. Upon entering a name in the start of the programme, either a new file is created for that person with the generic content, or the account is looked up from a destination.

3. When a question is answered incorrectly, a list of pre-written sentences with the correct answer in them is shown on the screen.

4. A semi-randomized approach to the selection of the word for the question; the more you get the answer incorrectly for that specific word, the more it would show up in the future. (Basically using a ratio to determine the selection of the word from the list).

5. An easy input mechanism (via commands on the interface) for new words and corresponding sentences into the files without having to restart the counters. (basically having an automatic input mechanism)

Any kind of input would be much appreciated.
Cheers!!

This post has been edited by atraub: 16 May 2011 - 12:21 PM
Reason for edit:: Good question :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Multiple Choice Programme for GRE words

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Multiple Choice Programme for GRE words

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

Rather than using tons of files for this, I'd suggest using a SQLite 3 database. It'll make the process of keeping records for individual users and storing the GRE words easier.

EDIT:
This seems like a good question that even non-Python guys could really weigh-in on!

This post has been edited by atraub: 16 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• coderさん
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Multiple Choice Programme for GRE words

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

View Postatraub, on 16 May 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

Rather than using tons of files for this, I'd suggest using a SQLite 3 database. It'll make the process of keeping records for individual users and storing the GRE words easier.

I agree with Atraub, sqlite3 would be a great choice to store the information in this program. Another thing which you may want to look at is easygui. If you don't have much experience in python and want an easy way to do a good looking GUI for the user to use, easygui could suit your purposes. If you want something a bit more complex and customizable, maybe you should have a look at pythoncard and eventually wxpython.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1