9 Replies - 990 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Finding Code Which Uses Best Practices

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi All,

So, it's time for me to seek help from the REAL gurus who populate this forum.

I am now out there looking for a job, and it's become readily apparent that of current skill set (such as it is), C# is currently the most desirable. Linux development seems to have moved in the direction of Java (where I have no background), rather than the C/C++ I've been using for years.

Unfortunately, my C# experience has come pretty much entirely by my own self-teaching; I've not had much in the way of good code from which to learn best practices. I got tagged as "the Windows guy" strictly on the basis of coming into my previous job having written a simple MFC client to allow the QA department to test the SNMP implementation I created on the Unix server on which I spent the majority of my time working. Consequently, while most of my work has been on Linux, whenever it came up that "we need an application for Windows to interface with our Linux system", I got the job and I set about figuring out how to best do that.

So I'm going to focus on boning up on hardcore C# and the associated .NET technologies such as WCF, ASP.NET (not happy about that...I'm really a closer-to-the-metal guy there) and ADO.NET/Entity Framework, etc, as well as any others that might be helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find good, intermediate-advanced code using these technologies which employs what you consider to be the current best practices? Maybe you've worked with some publicly available code that fits that mold and can point me to it. Is CodePlex the place to look for that?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

-Jack

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Finding Code Which Uses Best Practices

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Finding Code Which Uses Best Practices

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

Do you mean good written code and examples of it? If so here is something I can give you. I found it on stack overflow and it just has a few examples of some well written projects. Here is the link: http://stackoverflow...-c-code-samples

If this isn't what you're looking for then sorry but I think I'm right :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

For asp.net I'd definitely recommend following both Scott Guthrie and Scott Hanselman if you're not already. They quite regularly provide great code examples for asp.net, both on their blogs and through twitter.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

I do in fact follow Hanselman, but haven't dived into a lot of that stuff yet. I'll know of Scott Guthrie, so I'll add him too.

Matt, thanks, that looks like some good resources as well!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

No problem. I hope it helps. Also for some of those hard core technologies I would consider reading some of these books. Every book I have read by Apress has always been great.

http://www.apress.co.../category/1701/ - This one for ASP.NET 4 is the number two seller this week currently.

http://www.apress.co...k/9781430233688 - Here's one for WCF. Honest to goodness I know nothing about WCF. I just like the main core language.

http://www.apress.co...t/net-framework - Just go there for .NET books in general. They have some great ones.

Hope you like some of the suggestions :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Just so you know, the Gu has moved to the Azure platform, so he probably won't be tweeting much about .Net anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 17 May 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

No problem. I hope it helps. Also for some of those hard core technologies I would consider reading some of these books. Every book I have read by Apress has always been great.

I'll agree with that. I've really liked the two books I've gotten from Apress. I've got one on Sql Server 2008 and one on developing Server Controls and Ajax Components, both have been very useful. I'll probably looking into purchasing more from them soon myself.

This post has been edited by Nakor: 17 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

I actually attended a Web Camp given by Hanselman, he's really good. It was all about ASP.NET MVC. I'd love to suggest that to you, but it's probably too new to be all that good a skill for finding a new job. But it certainly does follow much better practices than standard ASP.NET does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

View PostNakor, on 17 May 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 17 May 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'll agree with that. I've really liked the two books I've gotten from Apress. I've got one on Sql Server 2008 and one on developing Server Controls and Ajax Components, both have been very useful. I'll probably looking into purchasing more from them soon myself.

Yes definitely. I started out MISERABLY. I was copying code and just doing all the bad habits a beginner could do. Then one of my good friends got me to read Microsoft Visual C# 2008: Step by Step. It got me started on a great path and after that I was hungry for more so I got Accelerated C# 2010 and I really loved Apress and their style of books after reading that so I got two more: Visual C# 2010 Recipes and then one more to top it off which was Pro C# 2010 and the .Net 4 platform. Since then I have only gotten books on a few different languages and almost all of them by Apress. They have sure taken me on a journey!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi ,

Hi All,

So, it's time for me to seek help from the REAL gurus who populate this forum.

I am now out there looking for a job, and it's become readily apparent that of current skill set (such as it is), C# is currently the most desirable. Linux development seems to have moved in the direction of Java (where I have no background), rather than the C/C++ I've been using for years.

Unfortunately, my C# experience has come pretty much entirely by my own self-teaching; I've not had much in the way of good code from which to learn best practices. I got tagged as "the Windows guy" strictly on the basis of coming into my previous job having written a simple MFC client to allow the QA department to test the SNMP implementation I created on the Unix server on which I spent the majority of my time working. Consequently, while most of my work has been on Linux, whenever it came up that "we need an application for Windows to interface with our Linux system", I got the job and I set about figuring out how to best do that.

So I'm going to focus on boning up on hardcore C# and the associated .NET technologies such as WCF, ASP.NET (not happy about that...I'm really a closer-to-the-metal guy there) and ADO.NET/Entity Framework, etc, as well as any others that might be helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find good, intermediate-advanced code using these technologies which employs what you consider to be the current best practices? Maybe you've worked with some publicly available code that fits that mold and can point me to it. Is CodePlex the place to look for that?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

-Jack

if you want to learn ASP.NET\C#

then here is 3 places i can recommend ,

CSharpFriends

http://www.asp.net really helped me alot with ASP.net :D

Lots of Videos for you ..

http://www.asp.net/mvc/videos mania .

And D.I.C of course , where we can help with asp.net. :) , well i have not done MVC yet so i would not know.

"advance code" is when you use the best possible logic in you C# code , it's all about logical steps to complete the task , and using the StopWatch class to test the speed of my code block . I love to do this .

My first C# program i have written was 1400 lines of code in 1 file :`), And looked somewhat revolting , ahhh the old days

Greetings .

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 17 May 2011 - 06:07 PM
Reason for edit:: fixed bbcode

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1