Music in the Work Place

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2086 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

Poll: Music in the Work Place (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you find new music?

1. I don't change up my music very often (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. I go through a web service (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

3. I get recommendations from friends (1 votes [8.33%])

4. I get my music from the radio (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. I have problems finding new music (1 votes [8.33%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Music in the Work Place

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

As a developer, software engineer or anyone in the IT world knows; music is a big part of being able to work efficiently. I was just wondering how many other people find that it is a constant struggle to find new music throughout the day. Songs seem to be getting a little old. Also, what is the policy for music in your work place? Are you aloud to play it on speakers so long as the others in the room don't mind, is it something that must be played through headphones or is it just simply not aloud?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Music in the Work Place

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Music in the Work Place

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

I dont use music when coding. I like to make my self silence, I always like to be in a silence place when coding or studying. If I get problem in coding and stack some where, I open cartoons(Penguins of Madagasca & Tom & Jerry) or some time looking movie or MR. Bean and then return to work :online2long:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

I usually just blare this full blast in my office on the military base, but you know, who doesn't?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

I find this both invigorating and soothing whilst trying to debug lines of code that all looks the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:21 AM

We have a radio running throughout the day.
headphones, big no.
own personal music over speakers, even bigger NO.

When I'm coding at home I play music like Iron Maiden, ACDC or anything similar, at a fairly high volume on my headphones. Nothing like hammering out code while listening to Run to the hills.
When I run into a challenging bug or problem I tend to turn the music down though, so I can think a bit more clearly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Work blocks youtube for us, so I improvise and just use Zumocast to stream my music from home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

I prefer the silence too. Where I work, we have another contractor that comes in on Tuesdays and Thursdays and occupies the office next to mine. Privately, these days are now known as "Trollsday" (as in Monday, Trollsday, Wednesday, Trollsday, Friday) because of just how crappy it is to try and get something done whenever he's here.

The office I work in is, for the most part, quieter than most morgues. However, when Troll Boy is here, it's immediately on with the radio (ESPN's The Dan Patrick Show) and, as far as I can tell, he does little except listen to that radio, talk to himself, clear his phlegm-y throat around once a minute or so...and answer calls on his way-too-loud ringtoned cell. And all his calls consist of talking to people in his band (he's in a band) about his band regarding things pertinent to short, balding nerds who play in shitty bands who think they're THIIIS close to hitting it big.

The word "pathetic" doesn't do the situation any justice whatsoever.

Oh, and more to the topic, listening to music needs to either be loud enough for everyone to hear (and presumably enjoy) or not be audible at all. That low level almost sub-background music...yeah, all that does is irritate your subconscious when you're trying to concentrate on other things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I sit around business analysts. They like to have impromptu meetings at their desk, some of which can last upwards of an hour. I almost lost my mind until I bought some headphones that fully cover and insulate my ears.

I actually like them a lot, since I can play my music at a lower volume, and still hear more of it than I could with the earbuds. It takes less to drown them out.

Music while I work is just background noise, but it's pleasant, enjoyable background noise, rather than loud conversations that make me lose track of the thing that I just fucking figured out and now you made me lose it!!! Sorry, had to vent that bile somewhere.

@Craig, if I were you, I'd politely ask him to use headphones. Sometimes people don't know they're annoying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

I've mentioned it. He's not an evil person...just f-ing clueless.

My wife has actually suggested those Bose headphones that cancel out external noise whilst listening to music. I find that I can code listening to classical music but those headphones ain't cheap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

They're not comfortable either. Go to Best Buy or somewhere they have them on display and try them out. When I did, I got the most uncomfortable sensation from them, like they were over-pressurizing my ears. My ears are pretty sensitive to pressure, so it may not affect you as much. But I guarantee that you'll feel something. Whether or not it's worth it, that's another question. Also, they're not like a bubble of silence. They really do mute ambient noise, but not eliminate it completely.

Third, don't buy Bose. You can get the same thing for less from other brands, or better for the same money. Bose is just a recognizable name, which they've banked on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

When it comes to headphones at work I have a pair of JVC HA-M750s which were around 100 at the local tech store. When looking into headphones it is important to look for the fake leather cupping ones and not the foam ones. The leather ones will block out a lot of noise and my current pair took a little getting used to but I can't hear people talking to me from 3 feet away when there is nothing playing.
They are the go to headphones when things in the office are noisy and not just for music.

When it comes to headphones at work I have a pair of JVC HA-M750s which were around 100 at the local tech store. When looking into headphones it is important to look for the fake leather cupping ones and not the foam ones. The leather ones will block out a lot of noise and my current pair took a little getting used to but I can't hear people talking to me from 3 feet away when there is nothing playing.
They are the go to headphones when things in the office are noisy and not just for music.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

I usually listen to pandora radio or groove shark. I go with it on not too loud, but always on. I need the background noise, but don't like it played too loudly or it will distract me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

Web Service? Two words I'm scared of in Java. Lol.

Anyway I find music for myself, be it new or old. I go to AllMusic.com and explore to my hearts content. Usually first I click the "New Releases" then if I don't see anything interesting I just explore. I hate Pitchfork and their ambiguous reviews. In AllMusic the reviews are rated 1 to 5 stars and the tracks of worth to listen to are highlighted. Then I just go to Youtube, search for the highlights of the album, and if I like it, then I'll go find the album.

As for the music in the workplace I like to listen to my ipod in full volume. When I got to my first workspace I was listening then the manager stopped by at my place then told me to turn it down. I would have said "could you please also tell your team to lower their voices while teasing each other because it can be heard to the floors above and below us" but I didn't. Hey, whre did one get the " don't listen to music if it's not loud enough to be heard by others" thing? That sounds very interesting. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

I usually just listen to Pandora with the volume as high as my android phone will allow me to play it, through headphones of course. It helps drown out the monotonous discussions of bacon and other, sometimes disgusting, things that I don't really care to hear from my co-workers every single fucking day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

We don't really have a policy about music at work. If I wanted to blaze it through the speakers, I could. But not wanting to be a total jackass, I use headphones. I normally don't turn it up too loud. Loud enough to drown out the trains that are 60 yards away from my office, but not so loud that I can't hear my office mate ask questions.

As for where the music comes from, I am in the Google Music beta, so I have that playing most of the time with my playlist. When I am ready for new music, I just fire up Pandora.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +