Firefox 4 or Google Chrome?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 1946 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Firefox 4 or Google Chrome?

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

So I have just installed Firefox 4 to give it a try, after several years of using Google's Chrome as my main browser. Who else here has been using it instead of Chrome? Did you enjoy it and has it made you think twice before going back over to Chrome?

If you had been using Firefox 3.6 before what changes to Firefox 4 do you lik/dislike?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Firefox 4 or Google Chrome?

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Firefox 4 or Google Chrome?

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Whenever I feel my browser is getting sluggish, and clearing everything doesn't fix it, I uninstall the browser completely and reinstall a new one. Firefox 4 will be my next one but I recently installed Chrome yet again and it's running better than ever.

Honestly, both have their ups and down. These are like mini mac vs pc threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

I wasn't wanting to start an argument about which one was better as the idea of 'best' is completely subjective what I was wanting to find out is if those who have decided to start using Firefox 4 thought of the changes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

I downloaded it when it first came out but it wouldn't even run on my windows machine so I uninstalled. I use Chrome when IE isn't available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 18 May 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

I downloaded it when it first came out but it wouldn't even run on my windows machine so I uninstalled. I use Chrome when IE isn't available.

Its interesting I used to use firefox for a long time before Chrome came out but I have I suppose gotten borded with Chrome I wanted to try something differen't, Firefox 4 has picked up on some of the good stuff Chrome does like useing the address bar as a built in search bar, one thing it dose Chrome doesn't (to my knowladge) is allows someone to open a new tab simply by right clicking on plain text of a URL even though the address isn't a hyperlinked. The only thing I would like it to do which Chrome already does is a built in spell checker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

The new tab group thing in Firefox 4 is great. I used that a lot when I was testing the pre-release versions and I kind of miss that when I'm not using Fx 4.

I tend to chance between all the major browsers (except IE) every couple of days though. I have them all installed, so I just open whichever browser I'm in the mood for. -- Usually Chrome or Firefox.

Sneblot said:

The only thing I would like it to do which Chrome already does is a built in spell checker.

Firefox has had that since like version 2 :huh:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

View PostAtli, on 18 May 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

Sneblot said:

The only thing I would like it to do which Chrome already does is a built in spell checker.

Really? I did not know that, I'll see if I can get it working. As it doesn't seem to be activated when you first install firefox (or at least it isn't on mine)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

I switched to Firefox 4 from Chrome the day it came out. I don't have any real reason to use Chrome anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

I use Chrome as my main, it feels lighter and I prefer it. But Firefox 4 definitely upped its game, beforehand (after Chrome V3ish) I completely refused to use it because of how slow it was in comparison. But now I do not mind using it at all.

When Chrome came out it gave Firefox a taste of its own medicine, as when Firefox 2 came out (and even 1.8 to a point) it completely blew the opponents out of the water! Then Chrome came along and did the same. Now Firefox (and Opera notably too) have caught up and its a level playing field (apart from IE... down a whirlpool perhaps?).

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 19 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

I was an avid Firefox user until Google Chrome arrived, I've been using it since it was in BETA. It's lightweight, like Firefox, but I prefer Chrome's minimalist layout and approach. I am dyslexic, so the built in spell checker - with support for UK English :euro: - is a massive relief for me. The ad-blocker extensions, that are available for both FF and Chrome, are also great - Youtube without any advertisements! :D.

The only thing that I miss from Firefox is the ability to save my currently open tabs before closing. Although I imagine that there is a Chrome extension for this, regardless I just dump them all into a folder when I need to. On a superficial level I am annoyed by Chrome's new logo. Why did they change it? It was great before and now it's crap! :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostSneblot, on 19 May 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

View PostAtli, on 18 May 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

Sneblot said:

Really? I did not know that, I'll see if I can get it working. As it doesn't seem to be activated when you first install firefox (or at least it isn't on mine)

If it's not enabled by default (which it should be) just right click any input box and check "Check spelling".

For a long time this was the only thing keeping me from really trying other browsers. (I really can't spell.).
Chrome didn't have this until a couple of versions after the beta ended. And no other browser had it either. - Now it seems everybody has this feature but IE. (Fx, Chrome, Opera and Safari, at last.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

Right just found out how to get the spell checker to work, I hadn't downloaded the dictionary for it to reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

I have been using chrome for the past week or so and it certainly performs well and fast enough for me but the minimalistic design is a pain in my butt. I will definitely be switching back to FireFox 4. Chrome almost feels like its some portable app meant for a USB drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

I don't understand? It being minimal is a bad thing? What are you looking for that Chrome doesn't actually have? I've found that as long as I force it to show the bookmark bar, I'm happy.

And FYI, all the major browsers are working towards minimizing their UI as much as possible. I was at a Microsoft web seminar (coincidentally) the day before IE9 launched, and they brought up the beta and mentioned all that they did to minimize UI space in favor of content space. It's a trend all browsers are following.

On a side note, does anyone still use Opera? From what I can tell, it's very "love it or hate it." I'm firmly in the latter camp. I just don't see what it offers these days. Even on phones, there are better browsers now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

My primary is google chrome because I like how it handles information and the inspect element features are great; however, I do switch it up to firefox just because of firebug. It is a great debugger for ajax responses and debugging in flex.

My primary is google chrome because I like how it handles information and the inspect element features are great; however, I do switch it up to firefox just because of firebug. It is a great debugger for ajax responses and debugging in flex.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +