• +
  • Last »

381 Replies - 14870 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

End of the world

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Well, according to a radio talk show host, rapture will begin this saturday (5/21/11) with a world wide earthquake.

People, of course, believe him and are quitting their jobs, giving up everything to go be with each other and to prepare for the rapture.

http://religion.blog...doomsday-clock/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: End of the world

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: End of the world

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

I love how it's always: "Do as we say or die a horrible, painful death, followed by an eternity of unimaginable suffering..."

They need to hire some of those Apple PR guys. These medieval fear tactics are getting a little... old. Especially seeing as these judgment days predictions never seem to come true.

P.S.
Is it a bad sign that the moment I clicked your link, my browser crashed (thanks to Flash... what else!) and took the OS down with it?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

Well, now for the obligatory "Don't let this twit be the representation for Christianity as a whole"

Seriously people, if I said the same thing about one atheist that did something horrible and judged you all by that standard I would be hung for it...

Regardless, paraphrasing 2 Peter 3:10 (If I remember correctly) "The Lord's day will come as unexpectedly as a thief in the night"

This can be reasonably interpreted as meaning no one knows the hour in which it's supposed to happen, making this guy a presumptuous fool like all the other apoclatwits...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, some of us knew about that back in January and have been making proper arrangements.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

PS - don't be stupid and start necroposting that thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

View PostAtli, on 18 May 2011 - 10:10 PM, said:

I love how it's always: "Do as we say or die a horrible, painful death, followed by an eternity of unimaginable suffering..."

View PostLemur, on 18 May 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

Well, now for the obligatory "Don't let this twit be the representation for Christianity as a whole"
This can be reasonably interpreted as meaning no one knows the hour in which it's supposed to happen, making this guy a presumptuous fool like all the other apoclatwits...

Yeah, but you actually DO believe this shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

...are we seriously going to degrade this into another prove the existence of God thread?
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

Wow, what I wouldn't give to be able to meet those people this sunday.
"Hey, how was your saturday?". :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

POPULAR

I find it worth mentioning that "Hell", in the christian context, is usually defined as 'eternal separation from god'.

Secondly, it's worth mentioning that, according to the christian mythology, that's the state we all exist in, by default.

Last, if you are a believer in the christian mythology, you have already admitted to believing in these- and other- strange philosophical and metaphysical ideas, and you have confessed a dogmatic refusal to examine your own beliefs, simply by the assertion that they are all 'right' (and this is the only thing which, if you are embarrassed by any of this, you should be embarrassed by).

So: since we (humans) seem to be making a decent job of making the world a better place over every generation (and this is visibly true if you examine things such as the records of murder, which tend to be the only accurate crime statistics going back hundreds of years in any particular country)(this still true despite the progress being incredibly slow- most notably in historically dogmatically religious countries, no matter what the actual religion's advertised nature is), I say we skip on this, let the rapture nut-jobs have their fun (maybe Kool-Aid can sponsor a count down?), and whatever kind of hell we have now, lets fucking well deal with it and try to improve the situation instead of hoping to die and wake up in a better one.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 19 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

The earthquake would be kind of nice, I have my final year exams starting next monday. it could probably give me a 1more week of study...heheheh

But I guess that earquake will only be in the U.S, because you don't see that "shit" here in Europe.Lucky Americans

This post has been edited by Macjohn: 19 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:44 AM

Shit, the spotify programming contest is on Saturday.

It better not happen until after the contest or I'm gonna kick God's ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

If it doesn't happen, I want to see how all the people that gave up everything react and what the show host will say (inb4 "I misjudged Gods blah blah bullshit")
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:05 AM

View PostChoscura, on 19 May 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

I find it worth mentioning that "Hell", in the christian context, is usually defined as 'eternal separation from god'.

Secondly, it's worth mentioning that, according to the christian mythology, that's the state we all exist in, by default.

Last, if you are a believer in the christian mythology, you have already admitted to believing in these- and other- strange philosophical and metaphysical ideas, and you have confessed a dogmatic refusal to examine your own beliefs, simply by the assertion that they are all 'right' (and this is the only thing which, if you are embarrassed by any of this, you should be embarrassed by).

I highlighted any portion I intend to address in red.

Now then, first. Hell is an eternal separation from God, it is also known as an eternal torture. Burning sulfur, gnashing of teeth, eternal darkness and such. Rather unpleasant if you ask me.

Here's the deal though, as much as some of you may dislike Christians sharing with you, think about it. How much would they have to hate you NOT to share about a place that is described as that awful? They'd be some rather poor Christians. At least consider that if someone shares with you in the future, whether or not you believe, it means they care.

Dogmatic refusal to examine our beliefs? What are you smoking? That was the most presumptuous post I've ever seen you make. I've examined my faith plenty of times, I don't take it as a leap of faith, I have my reasons for believing. It is enough that I have absolutely no doubts in the existence of a God.

I don't intend to start another flame bait by saying why, perhaps another day on that one.

Seriously though, being atheist does not make you automatically smarter than anyone that would claim to be religious. People have reasons and there are just as many sheep atheists as there are christians.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

dont forget to post monday with a cool link with the reaction of the people...lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:01 AM

View PostLemur, on 19 May 2011 - 05:05 AM, said:

Now then, first. Hell is an eternal separation from God, it is also known as an eternal torture. Burning sulfur, gnashing of teeth, eternal darkness and such. Rather unpleasant if you ask me.

Not meaning to undermine you, good sir, but where exactly in the Bible does it say that? I just breezed over the NT so if it's in there then link me (I don't have my copy of the Bible with me), because I sure as hell don't remember it saying that in the OT. I just remember it saying that your soul wanders if you don't get a proper burial. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

If I didn't know better I would suggest that we ship them all their own copy of this book. However the problem with the people in these cults, is that they make a concious effort to not listen to any sort of rational argument - otherwise they wouldn't believe what they believe!

The craziest part is that the faith of the majority of them will not be deterred even when their chosen day expires, without a word from their god... :whistling:

Robert M. Pirsig said:

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (26 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »