• +

20 Replies - 24342 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Resources To Improve Your Knowledge

Post icon  Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

POPULAR

I'm opening this thread for people to post and make reviews about sites, tools and technologies that might help the other users to improve their knowledge, by learning better techniques on their language, or learning other languages and things like this...

Some examples that might show up: Amazon, MSDN, O'Reilly Media, O'Reilly Radar, (insert tech Twitters here) and so on...

Remember that on every post that you make, please put the name of the service on the top on bold and linky, the rating you might give to it and a little review. With this template who is searching for a source of improving their knowledge might get their information in a better and easier way.

Here is a sample of how it is suggested to post:

Amazon
Rating: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:

Here goes my big fanboi review about Amazon.com and their great site and resources like books...

To make it a standard let's all use the :clover: emoticon for the ratings please :)

This post has been edited by nathanpc: 19 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 8
  • +

Replies To: Resources To Improve Your Knowledge

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resources To Improve Your Knowledge

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

Safari Books Online
Rating: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:

The site is great! You pay a monthly fee and have access to all the books and videos(screencast and classes) you want and unlimited. You have a great library to choose your books, read them all online and if you want to download you can use a token system to get them.

The videos library is amazing! I use it almost every single day. When I want to learn something like while I was learning HTML5 for mobile WebApps, the HTML5 Mobile Development classes were great and helped me a lot.

Before I got my Safari Books Online account I was spending almost $200 each month on eBooks and videos, and now I pay the monthly fee and I can have access to all the content I had and a lot more.

I know it's great, but the only disadvantage that I've seen is that for people that don't spend a lot of money on improvements monthly it might be a inviable solution, since the monthly fee to get the best access is $42.99, but in my case it's worth every penny... Remember that they have more affordable plans, but with some restrictions.

This post has been edited by nathanpc: 19 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

ACM-ICPC Live Archive

They say practice makes perfect, and that is almost true. That is where this website is such a great resource. What it contains are problems from the Internation Collegiate Programming Challenge done by the ACM every year. Of course, mindlessly whacking away at a problem doesn't improve your skills, but they have taken care of that. On this website, you can submit your solution and have it judged to find out if you have it right. And don't think you can just Mickey Mouse your code, because the judges for this contest are by far more difficult than your typical programming professor.

So why 4 :clover: 's instead of 5? Because, this website is not an instructional website. If you're looking to learn new things, plowing through these problems is definitely the hardest way to do so.

Oh yeah, it's free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

cplusplus.com - Tutorial
:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
An excellent resource for quickly learning the fundamentals of the C++ language. The explanations are easy to follow and are illustrated with diagrams and code snippets. The website also has a large C++ reference, an excellent resource covering the entire C++ standard library. Cpluplus.com also have forums which are great for C++ specific enquiries.

The main tutorial covers:

Basics of C++
Structure of a program
Variables. Data types.
Constants
Operators
Basic Input/Output

Control Structures
Control Structures
Functions (I)
Functions (II)

Compound Data Types
Arrays
Character Sequences
Pointers
Dynamic Memory
Data Structures
Other Data Types

Object Oriented Programming
Classes (I)
Classes (II)
Friendship and inheritance
Polymorphism

Advanced Concepts
Templates
Namespaces
Exceptions
Type Casting
Preprocessor directives

C++ Standard Library
Input/Output with files
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Forrst

With a focus purely on website design and development, Forrst is a community full of experts and quality posts. As it is an invite only community, many people have trouble getting in (there is a very large waiting list) but those lucky enough to get in almost always find it useful. The main site has many very high quality conversations as does the IRC (though that is mainly developers only).

I have only given Forrst 4 stars because what you get out of it is relational to what you put in. It is a community with posts rather than a website full of tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

http://www.csharp-st...m/Tutorial.aspx
:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
This site is excellent for learning the basics of C#.

It is 4 out of 5 because it tried to justify using goto in some cases when other methods are clearly better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

MIT OpenCourseWare | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | 6.046J Introduction to Algorithms

Many people are familiar with the Python course on MIT OCW, but this course seems to get overlooked by most. Not only does this course use a great text (Introduction to Algorithms, CLRS), it provides video lectures, assignments, and tests as well.

There's a lot to learn from this course if you're new to algorithms and data structures and the instructors seem to be pretty competent. Whether you're new to the subject or just looking for a refresher, I recommend everyone check this out.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Free Security tools which you should have in your tool belt

http://blogs.msdn.co...-tool-belt.aspx

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 25 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

I am not sure if these have been posted before, but they are great and free:
Thinking in Patterns (Design Patterns)

Beej's Network Programming in C
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

http://www.analogdevelopment.com/ Digital Work in an Analog World by John R. Fox

I just finished this book, which is written in a non-technical way, and offers great insights on how to recognize the factors that influence poor software estimates a well as how to make Virtual Teams work for your organization. I highly recommend this for anyone in the software profession.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Kenneth Iverson - A Programming Language (here as well)

Applied mathematics is largely concerned with the design and analysis of explicit procedures for calculating the exact or approximate values of various functions. Such explicit procedures are called algorithms or programs. Because an effective notation for the description of programs exhibits considerable syntactic structure, it is called a programming language.

Much of applied mathematics, particularly the more recent computer-related areas which cut across the older disciplines, suffers from the lack of an adequate programming language. It is the central thesis of this book that the descriptive and analytic power of an adequate programming language amply repays the considerable effort required for its mastery. This thesis is developed by first presenting the entire language and then applying it in later chapters to several major topics.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

http://www.dotnetrocks.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thanks guys. All the resources mentioned above are ultimate sources of information about the concerned topic. I love cplusplus.com.
http://www.w3schools.com
is one such resource for learning HTML as it provides with the chance to practice what we learn then and there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

Really appreciate this post. People have shared unlimited important sources for improving knowledge on relevant topics.Thanks a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

If you want a desktop companion, Code Complete, by Steve McConnell(Microsoft Press)is one of the best programming reference. A practical guide for all software engineers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +