9 Replies - 831 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

My WIP game, looking for feedback

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Iridium Factor Tech Demo
Genre: Turret-Defense/Puzzle Hybrid
Prerequisites: .Net 4.0, XNA 4.0 (dual core processor or better highly recommended due to my clumsy collision code (optimization of that code is pretty high up on my to-do list)

Screenshot:
Attached Image

Download:
Attached File  IridiumFactorTD01.zip (439.29K)
Number of downloads: 50

Gameplay:
The aim of the game is that of a turret defense game. Enemies spawn and head towards a certain target, and the player must indirectly (through the use of automated turrets and several other mechanics) destroy the enemies before they damage their target.

The main mechanic of the game consists of the player piloting a small shuttle, placing beacons on the game field. These beacons attract enemies basically distracting them for long enough so that the turrets get to kill them. The game challenges the player by making him have to figure out the best positions for the beacons to assure the longest travel distance for various types of enemies (heavier ones, lighter ones, very fast/slow ones), as well as having to figure out when to use items such as mines, what upgrades to purchase for the turrets etc.

So far, there are only about 5 waves in place, but stuff like turrets, beacons, enemies, upgrades are functional. There's also a pretty straightforward tutorial explaining the basic mechanics over the course of the first few waves.

Lately, I have been lacking motivation, mostly since I don't really have any ideas on what I can add to the game in terms of mechanics (apart from global player upgrades and unlockable minigames and extra levels). This is why I felt that it would be a good idea to ask for feedback from a game development community such as this board! ^_^

Looking forward to some criticism. Feel free to bash on anything (except for the lack of sound, haha)!
Thanks in advance and have fun playing the game!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: My WIP game, looking for feedback

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My WIP game, looking for feedback

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

Moved to Share your Project :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hi,
Downloaded, unzipped, and tried to run. Resulted in an error right away.

I have NET 4.0 framework installed. Is there something else I need? Perhaps a link to the runtimes that I can load...I'll be glad to test your game.

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

Oh, sorry about the wrong forum. Thanks for the move! :D

@chuckb: it needs the XNA 4.0 redistributable. Here's a link: (it's about 7 megs, not much :) ) http://www.microsoft...08-d35c013c3b97
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

Here are some ideas of features I was thinking of adding to the game. If anyone could give me some feedback, I would be very grateful, because right now I'm in a spot where I'm highly insecure about how fun this game is/could be and I can't really tell if such a new feature would make the game better or just break it.
  • the ability to see extra info on not just the next wave, but several more in the future (5-6)
  • the ability to see a rough estimate of the path the enemies in the following wave are going to take (a simple line drawn between whatever beacons the enemies will most likely head towards)
  • displaying the turret's angle limits as lines (they can't rotate 0-180, only something like 40-140 iirc) when placing beacons
  • graphical examples in tutorial messages - simple animations displaying the pressed key and the action the ship would perform (such as moving a beacon, placing one, or interacting with a turret)
  • time limit between waves (maybe after the first 10 or so waves in the first level, so that the player doesn't get overwhelmed right at the beginning)
  • beacons with different ranges
  • towers with very limited ranges but high damage (such as towers that only shoot straight up, or in a small cone of damage right above them) that would force the player to re-think his turret placing strategies
  • boss fights that would force the player to perform other interactions than the basic place-beacon, upgrade-turret ones, such as repairing disabled turrets while dodging attacks, or directly attacking boss soft-spots inaccessible to regular turrets

I'm pretty new to game design and I'd really appreciate some advice from a more 'seasoned' designer. Would any of these changes make the game excessively complex or maybe to repetitive? I'm also aware that re-positioning EVERY SINGLE BEACON EVERY SINGLE WAVE can be really annoying, especially if you keep dying at, say, wave 19, so I'll keep the variations of the enemy spawn locations to a minimum. :D

Thanks in advance! ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi,
I installed the XNA 4.0 redistributable as you recommended. I'm getting a different error. I did a google search and I'm getting this first screenshot "No suitable graphics card found." Don't know if this issue is related to this problem or not.

similar problem link

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

Ah, yes, I was building with the HiDef profile. I need to compile with Reach. I'll do it this afternoon, as I'm not at home right now. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Attached File  IridiumFactorTD01.zip (439.93K)
Number of downloads: 75

Here's the reach version. Also, is there a way to edit the first post? Because I couldn't find it. I was thinking of maintaining a changelog there or something, maybe add some more screenshots.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

View Postangrydwarfz, on 25 May 2011 - 11:44 AM, said:

Attachment IridiumFactorTD01.zip

Here's the reach version. Also, is there a way to edit the first post? Because I couldn't find it. I was thinking of maintaining a changelog there or something, maybe add some more screenshots.

I believe you may only edit the last posting. That's too bad. It would be nice to edit the very first post so we can post updates to programs and other docs. However, edits do allow threads to change meaning so followup postings don't make any sense. It's the site admin's prerogative.

I was able to play your game. Things that I liked:

* Game concept. Easy to understand. Requires strategy. You're not controlling guns...but you are distracting the attackers.
* Game appearance. Art and colors were nice to look at. Did you create any of these yourself? Text moved which added to the overall appearance.
* Game level and difficulty. I only played the 'mine' level..the others are not programmed. The challenge seemed to progress in a nice way...allowing the player to slowly increase skill level.
* The baddies were not moving too fast.

Things I would change:

* The Z and X key on the keyboard was a bit awkward. I could add beacons but I couldn't release them. After some time I realized that if I pressed the X key, then the Z key, I had to hit the Z key twice. Once I learned to set and release with a double tap to the Z key it was okay. It would be nice if one key could control set, release, retrieve..using context to determine which function was required (no X required).
* Two many words with each level. I have a short attention span. Suggest placing the required keys at top of paragraph, very easy to see. The paragraph could then explain more information for those with the patience to read. Most game players don't want to read..that's why we play games. Unless its a text based RPG. :bigsmile:
* Couldn't add mines. Might not be programmed yet.

Overall this is a very nice start. How long have you been working on this project? Have you figured out any sort of sound effects or music?

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback, and I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier. I have been spending most of my time studying for my final exams. Thankfully, they will be over in less than two weeks, after which I'll have the whole summer ahead to finish this game! ^_^

The main idea behind the control scheme was - Z places stuff, X interacts. I realize this could get confusing when items can be placed/re-placed/removed/upgraded but I can't employ less than two keys for the simple reason that there are a lot of ambiguous situations that can occur. For instance, if the player is right above a turret, and presses the universal action key, how would the game be able to tell if the player wants to upgrade the turret, or if he wants to place the selected item.

I'm planning to reduce the confusion by adding a small message box to the hud, informing the players about what a certain key would do at a given moment - when placing a beacon, it would say something like "Z to confirm, X to cancel", and when above a turret it would inform the player that pressing the X key will bring up the upgrade menu.

I'm also planning on introducing short scripted sections in the first few waves, effectively demonstrating the use of the controls. Either that or some drawings in the message boxes explaining the controls. I haven't quite decided yet.

Mines should work. That's odd, did you try cycling through the available items using A&S?

About the sounds and music, I haven't made too many plans yet. I have a few friends who are experienced with FL Studio, so I might ask them to compose a few ambient tracks for the menu and levels, as well as some up-beat songs for the boss fights and upcoming minigames. As for the sound effects, I'll probably just record myself and distort my voice with Audacity to make some interesting monster growls. It shouldn't be too hard. In fact, I think it would be rather fun, haha.

I've been working on this project for a very long time, considering how little game content there is. There are three main reasons for that - the first one, is the fact that I'm still learning C# and XNA while coding the game. The second reason is that I'm still learning key game development aspects while working on this project (*what* exactly makes a game fun, etc). The most important reason, however, was my laziness coupled with school. The latter ate a lot of my time - with stuff like assignments, projects and so on, while the former ate up most of my already-limited free time.

Also, this is the second time I'm writing this (rather long) post, as the first time the quick reply box decided to die and the back button didn't help because of the box's default text.

Thanks again for the input, it means a great deal to me! ^_^ I'm probably going to release another tech-demo in about 3-4 weeks.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by angrydwarfz: 19 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1