Page 1 of 1

Beginning SDL - Part 5.3 - Data Driven Design

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Beginning SDL - Part 5.3 - Game Objects
This will be the final part for our Game Object classes and will cover factories and loading objects from a file at runtime :) it's going to be pretty exciting but also quite complex.
Last time we covered the great possibilities that polymorphism gives us and how we can make what would otherwise be a lot of code into nice reusable chunks of code. That itself was an extremely powerful idea and in this tutorial we will take it one step further.

This tutorial will show you how to use a factory, this is essentially a class that creates objects based on a value. In our case we will have each class override a specific method which returns their class type.
virtual void const char* GetClassType() { return "TypeName"; }

Due to the way we structured our states in the previous tutorial we essentially made it so that our state didn't need to know about the types of the game objects and they could be used through a pointer to their base class "GameObject". We were still having to hard code which objects we wanted to use into the Init() function which poses problems for maintenance and reusability, what if we could make it so that the state would load the objects it needed from a file therefore eliminating the need to recompile when we decide to add more objects. Also what if the objects themselves could also load their initial values from an external file. Sounds great doesn't it!

This is known as data driven design and is the goal of this tutorial. So open up your IDE with the previous tutorial project and lets get coding :)

Create 2 new files. File.h and File.cpp we will write our file loading and reading classes inside these files.

File.h
#ifndef FILE_H
#define FILE_H
#include <fstream>
class File
{
public:
	bool Open(const std::string& filename);
	bool GetInt(int* pInt);
	bool GetFloat(float* pFloat);
	bool GetString(std::string* pString);
	bool EndOfFile() const;
private:
	std::ifstream m_ifstream;
};
#endif

So looking at this class in a little more detail you can see that it has functions to open a file, read a string from a file, read a float, read an int and check if the end of the file has been reached. That should be all we need at this point. Also notice that all of the functions return a boolean value, this is necessary because there may be errors in how we structure our text files.

File.cpp
#include "File.h"
bool File::Open(const std::string& filename)
{													m_ifstream.open(filename.c_str(), std::ios::in);	
	return m_ifstream.good();							
}												
// use the GetString function and use atoi() to get its value as an int		
bool File::GetInt(int* pInt)
{
	std::string s;
	if (!GetString(&s))
	{
		return false;
	}
	*pInt = atoi(s.c_str());
	return true;
}
// return a float value
bool File::GetFloat(float* pFloat)
{
	m_ifstream >> (*pFloat);
	return true;
}
// If you have read from files before this should be pretty easy to understand, if 
// not then a trip to msdn might be in order :)/>
bool File::GetString(std::string* pString)
{
	char buf[10000];
	while (true)
	{
		if (EndOfFile())
		{
			return false;
		}

m_ifstream.getline(buf, 10000); 
		*pString = buf;

if (pString->size() > 0 && (*pString)[0] == '#')
		{
			continue;
		}
		if (!pString->empty())
		{
			return true;
		}
	}
}
// check if the end of the file has been reached or the stream has failed
bool File::EndOfFile() const
{
	return m_ifstream.eof() || !m_ifstream.good();
}

Try to go through each line of this code and make sure you understand most of it as it will serve you well in the future. It took me a while to write it and get it to work so don't just use it by copying and pasting and never thinking about it again. But anyway we now have a way to load and read from files :) (also there are better ways to read from files)

Lets test it out using our game object class by creating two new variables

float m_positionx;
float m_positiony;

Now we shall change our GameObject::Load() function slightly

#include "GameObject.h"
#include "File.h"

void GameObject::Load(char* filename)
{
	m_pSprite = Sprite::Load(filename); 	
	File newFile; // here we create an instance of our file class
	newFile.Open("gameobject.txt"); // load the file
	newFile.GetFloat(&m_positionx); // read the values from the file
	newFile.GetFloat(&m_positiony);
}

Next we will create the gameobject.txt file, it is essentially just a basic text file which you can create in windows by right clicking inside a folder and then going to new->txt file and then name it gameobject.txt. This file will need to be in the same folder as the rest of your project. Since we are only loading 2 values from this file it is pretty basic at the moment

those values are going to be the game objects x and y position values. One more thing is needed to test this out and that is to slightly change our Draw function to use these values.

void GameObject::Draw()
{
	Sprite::Draw(GameInst::Instance()->GetScreen(), m_pSprite, m_positionx, m_positiony);
}

Ok so now run the program and you will see that the objects are at the x = 10 and y = 10 positions. Change the values in the text file and run the program again, no need to recompile, WOW! this is great! Imagine the possibilities :)

This tutorial is to be continued but I thought I would release what I have so far due to the huge gap between this and the previous tutorial.

Don't fret though, we will be loading objects from files at runtime very soon! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Beginning SDL - Part 5.3 - Data Driven Design

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Love the tutorials, I've been using them myself to get back acquainted with SDL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Love the latest tutorial. Covers what i needed to know last time. Thank you for covering that in this tutorial.

Also im just curious, but how much of the next tutorial have you done? any expected date on a new one to be published?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hey there stayscrisp, I'm enjoying these tutorials to be sure. I've actually done a little extra leg work and added a global log class that is used to debug/log events in the game. Here's a link to it at my blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm thinking about getting into SDL again, are you still working on these tutorials?
Because up until now, they are great! Would really like to see a continuation of this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

I will most likely continue them again :) pretty soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

thank you again staycrisp
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

The series you written alone made me join the forum. I have found many other tutorials that deal with basic concepts of SDL, but non seemed to have the well designed approach and full utilization of C++ and it's potential. I would also love to see more tutorials whenever you have the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1