The starting salary for CS majors up to $61k. Where?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

37 Replies - 10292 Views - Last Post: 30 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

The starting salary for CS majors up to $61k. Where?

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

So, I'm assuming most of you have seen the starting salary news recently? If not, heres a link: Starting Salary My question is, where the heck are places paying this much? I just graduated about a week ago, and have been looking around before that. I've only been looking at the eastern US, from Ohio to Florida. It seems like the places I see are paying 40-50k. Is New York and California pulling the average up or something? I believe I talked to one place that would have paid 55-60k but I decided not to interview for it because of location.

I'm currently looking at two jobs in the Kentucky area, one paying 45k and the other 40k. I am assuming thats about what i'm going to get if I stay in Kentucky.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The starting salary for CS majors up to $61k. Where?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The starting salary for CS majors up to $61k. Where?

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

Just as a reference point...

The economy tanked a couple years ago.
Salaries across the board were cut just to keep the doors open.
And company-paid insurance was killed.
I'm now making $50k, after having been with the same company 8 years.

If there are stable companies out there that I could feel safe in giving up this job to move to I might consider it. But right now I'd rather stay were I know I have a job no matter what, no risk of being fired, than to take a huge chance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

It is very easy to get or even beat 61k for a starting salary in DC (high cost of living) OR the surrounding Northern Virginia area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

Cost of living is a consideration to make.

60k in California, NYC, or DC is far different from 60k in Kentucky... and probably why Kentucky is a bit lower.

Consider that 2 bedrooms in Louisville may average 750 a month, where a 2 bedroom in DC could be 1300 a month, and NYC could be 2000+. Already you're throwing an extra 6-12k a year at rent...

I was out in LA for a while, left because that city functions in a mode I can't quite handle. I made a lot more money there with a lot less experience (I was fresh out of the garage where I taught myself), but the cost of living and cost on my psyche was devastating.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 23 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

I'll second that sentiment.

My current $50k/year is for a job I love, with a company that let's me work from home full time. Which means: No cost of commute, not lost time to commute, 10,000 mi/year less on my vehicle, no 'work clothes' expense, no lunch-out expense.

The lifestyle:payscale ratio makes it worthwhile to me.

That's what one really has to consider: The pay to lifestyle factor. Is the shit you get from your boss, the company, the environment, the customers, the pressure, the city you have to live in... all worth the pay you receive?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'll also add that cost of living is a huge part of it. I'd personally rather make less, and live where it costs less (which is what I do).

That's the reason that Cali and New York jobs pay so much more. People simply couldn't afford to live without the extra money. Money is worth less in places like that. It's like inflation on a miniature scale. So yeah, pretty much anywhere you're making 60k out the door of your school probably costs you a lot to live in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

First, never believe the salary numbers in the rags. The numbers are all relative. I'm sure the values are probably valid; somewhere.

As stated, cost of living is huge. At the cost of a few more miles, a few more hours, and probably a lot less hair, I could work in Manhattan for considerably more than I'm making now. The actual cost of getting into, out of, and being in the City lowers the net of that gross quite a bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

Let's not discount the fact that larger salaries can push you into higher income tax brackets, resulting in less take-home pay than a lower salary.

Also many states don't assess a state income tax. Nevada for example. So that's an automatic salary increase of 10% plus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Texas doesn't do state income tax either, which is nice.

I think the lesson to take away from this is: salary is just one number, in a game where several numbers actually matter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Also, talk of benefits is usually prudent when considering differing salaries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 23 May 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

Cost of living is a consideration to make.

60k in California, NYC, or DC is far different from 60k in Kentucky... and probably why Kentucky is a bit lower.

Consider that 2 bedrooms in Louisville may average 750 a month, where a 2 bedroom in DC could be 1300 a month, and NYC could be 2000+. Already you're throwing an extra 6-12k a year at rent...

I was out in LA for a while, left because that city functions in a mode I can't quite handle. I made a lot more money there with a lot less experience (I was fresh out of the garage where I taught myself), but the cost of living and cost on my psyche was devastating.

Haha. Guess where I'm going to live next year for a job? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 23 May 2011 - 04:50 PM, said:

Let's not discount the fact that larger salaries can push you into higher income tax brackets, resulting in less take-home pay than a lower salary.

Please be explaining your math here considering tax brackets are tiered. Unless you're speaking of losing tax credits awarded to some people in lower brackets for some reason (which are seldom when crossing into the 3rd [35~80k] bracket)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think the idea is that if you're just shy of the bracket above you, and you get a small raise that puts you just over the limit, you could (theoretically) lose more than you gain by being taxed at a higher rate. I'd have to actually look up brackets and calculate the actual taxes to be sure, but it could happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies, I definitely am considering the cost of living. I just wanted to make sure the salaries I have been hearing sounded right. I couldn't find specific state averages, but 40-45k sounds about right for Kentucky. I even seen one job that was paying 33k in Louisville.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 23 May 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

I think the idea is that if you're just shy of the bracket above you, and you get a small raise that puts you just over the limit, you could (theoretically) lose more than you gain by being taxed at a higher rate. I'd have to actually look up brackets and calculate the actual taxes to be sure, but it could happen.

Actually that's not how tax brackets work - if you slipped into the next bracket, only the income that put you over that limit is taxed at the higher rate:

Source

So you shouldn't be losing money by going up a tax bracket, just that the effect of the raise is reduced.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +