10 Replies - 2627 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

#1 smohd  Icon User is offline

  • Critical Section
  • member icon


Reputation: 1819
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,627
  • Joined: 14-March 10

Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

If someone should say happy birthday :happybday: to Visual Basic
Happy 20th
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

#2 Shane Hudson  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

Reputation: 343
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,286
  • Joined: 06-December 09

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

If only we could still down-rep OPs! Haha
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 DivideByZero  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 238
  • View blog
  • Posts: 551
  • Joined: 02-December 10

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:20 AM

It's a shame it didn't make it to adulthood, it won't be missed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Creecher  Icon User is offline

  • I don't care
  • member icon

Reputation: 561
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,049
  • Joined: 06-March 10

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

I won't miss it.

I'm glad I tried VB.NET before VB(6).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

  • (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon


Reputation: 4464
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,780
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Well, if you read the link, it's obvious they're counting VB.NET as a continuation of VB, so in MS's eyes, VB is still going strong.

It's always been considered the bastard child by most programmers, but VB.NET is an incredibly powerful language. Not my choice for syntax, but if I had to, I could work with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#6 Creecher  Icon User is offline

  • I don't care
  • member icon

Reputation: 561
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,049
  • Joined: 06-March 10

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 25 May 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Well, if you read the link, it's obvious they're counting VB.NET as a continuation of VB, so in MS's eyes, VB is still going strong.

It's always been considered the bastard child by most programmers, but VB.NET is an incredibly powerful language. Not my choice for syntax, but if I had to, I could work with it.

I think people see it as such because they think it promotes laziness and they think it does all the work for you.


A friend of mine, who has been using C and C++ for the past few years, tried VB.NET recently and he said he hated it because it does all the fun stuff for him.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

  • (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon


Reputation: 4464
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,780
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Well, he'd hate C# or Java or Ruby for the same reasons. That's not so much a problem with VB, it's a problem with high-level vs low-level languages. For me, C is not something I find fun. I let the framework deal with all the pointers and allocations and cleanup, and go straight to solving the actual problems. That's what I like. Some people find the amount of manual control C/C++ gives you fun.


Now, VB.NET can promote serious laziness, if you use it wrong. For example, turn Option Strict and Option Explicit off, and you've got yourself a recipe for a mess. Also, stuff like default form instances can be really confusing. But regardless, you can do some pretty impressive stuff with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#8 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

View PostNeverPool, on 25 May 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 25 May 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Well, if you read the link, it's obvious they're counting VB.NET as a continuation of VB, so in MS's eyes, VB is still going strong.

It's always been considered the bastard child by most programmers, but VB.NET is an incredibly powerful language. Not my choice for syntax, but if I had to, I could work with it.

I think people see it as such because they think it promotes laziness and they think it does all the work for you.


A friend of mine, who has been using C and C++ for the past few years, tried VB.NET recently and he said he hated it because it does all the fun stuff for him.


While I am definitely not a fan of VB, I have to point out: that argument is probably stronger when used against Visual Studio users.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#9 Creecher  Icon User is offline

  • I don't care
  • member icon

Reputation: 561
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,049
  • Joined: 06-March 10

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

View PostRaynes, on 25 May 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostNeverPool, on 25 May 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 25 May 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Well, if you read the link, it's obvious they're counting VB.NET as a continuation of VB, so in MS's eyes, VB is still going strong.

It's always been considered the bastard child by most programmers, but VB.NET is an incredibly powerful language. Not my choice for syntax, but if I had to, I could work with it.

I think people see it as such because they think it promotes laziness and they think it does all the work for you.


A friend of mine, who has been using C and C++ for the past few years, tried VB.NET recently and he said he hated it because it does all the fun stuff for him.


While I am definitely not a fan of VB, I have to point out: that argument is probably stronger when used against Visual Studio users.

True, but that (as far as I know) is the most popular IDE for VB(.NET) and C#(Visual C++ as well(?)), so people will assume you will use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 SurfingShark  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 38
  • View blog
  • Posts: 188
  • Joined: 18-April 11

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

VB.NET has its place, just like every other language. When you work on a car, there are often times different tools to accomplish the same repair.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#11 raziel_  Icon User is offline

  • Like a lollipop
  • member icon

Reputation: 464
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,255
  • Joined: 25-March 09

Re: Happy 20th Birthday Visual Basic!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hatted blah blah blah write on assembly then its the real deal right you will have to do all the stuff your self all the fun stuff that most of the C++ programmers dont even know about them. VB6 sux because of the runtime errors and the lack of the errors before compiling the exe. So anyway its called progress if you don`t like it go make a camp somewhere in the wood and hunt animals with spears. So happy B day VB

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 26 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1