4 Replies - 3896 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2011 - 06:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

StyleCop Equivalent For VB.NET

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:01 AM

Apologies if this is not quite the right forum, as my question is not directly about VB.NET.

I'm looking for a StyleCop-like program for vb.net in visual studio 2010. Problem is, it's not just for my personal use, but for a lot of people. So, I can't really go and say "This does what I want, it's good enough". It needs to be as close to StyleCop as can be. I've been given a short list of what it definitely needs to do and I can check that, but it's not exhaustive.

I've already browsed the internet some and it looks like CodeIt.Right (from submain.com) might be a viable replacement. Does anyone here have experience with that tool or can you recommend another one?

I've also looked at FxCop but that one does not cut it as it needs to look at the source code and not just the compiled one. I've also read that there's some signs that StyleCop might come to vb.net "sometime" but I'd rather not hold my breath for that to happen.

Some of the things my prospective tool needs to do:
- Inheritance: A class inheriting from PrettyForm must also be called SomethingForm
- Naming conventions for functions, subroutines, classes, variables, etc
- Comments, are they complete and conform with a standard?
- Sequence of things in each class: eg. Variables grouped together, sorted by visibiliy / access and then by alphabet
- 3 lines left blank before / after each function
- Removing unused imports

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: StyleCop Equivalent For VB.NET

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: StyleCop Equivalent For VB.NET

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

A few weeks ago, I suggested this on the StyleCop forum and now someone is working on a StyleCop for VB.NET.

Heres the main thread -> http://stylecop.code...cussions/250592
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

Yes, I saw your thread over there, in fact. The StyleCop Site was my first stop, in fact. It didn't say when a release could be expected, though. I sort of need to get something in the very near future. Although if a release is imminent I might be able to persuade people to wait for that or use an interim solution. Getting a budget approved for a commercial product is going to take ... forever anyway.

This post has been edited by Nightfish: 25 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, it may be a while before we actually see something. What he/she is doing is "behind the curtains".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

Alright, then I'll probably need to find something else to use in the meantime. Thanks for the heads up, though. We'll probably go back to StyleCop in the long run. It's hugely popular at the company I work now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1