How would i create a website like...?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 8104 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How would i create a website like...?

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi im new so im sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. But anyway.. I want to know how would i go about creating a website like stardoll.com or missbimbo.com or gosupermodel.com
I already have my site planned out exactly how i like & I am in the process of buying a domain name.
All i want to know is what tools do i need to create a website/games like those.
I'll do all the research and all that good stuff. More precisely something like missbimbo. Im pretty sure i need a graphic designer. But what else. Sorry for my ignorance & sorry if this is in the wrong section. But thanks for the help. Much appreciated :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How would i create a website like...?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How would i create a website like...?

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Depends on what Operating system you want to run the website from

If linux

go for PHP ( Tools )

XAMPP (MYSQL,Apache)

NETBEANS with xdebugger

or maybe Java

If windows hosting ASP.NET( Tools )
Visual Web Developer & MSSQL

Personally i am a windows Man. So i prefer ASP.net
The both have HTML editor , and VWD has a nice WYSIWYG editor

Good luck

This post has been edited by marinus: 25 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

It looks like what you are trying to achieve for the actual dress up part would be best created by using Flash although it is possible to create it using Javascript.
As far as the actual web page goes you are going to need to use html/css to make the front end side of the application and a server side language such as php to create the login system and registration.

Dream in Code has a lot of great tutorials on all of these languages which you can find by filtering through the search results or going into the section and clicking on tutorials.

Best of luck and if you have any more questions I will be receiving updates via email on this topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hey.

You'll need:
  • Code for your game. A server-side technology like PHP, .NET or Java would be needed, as well as a database to store the game info in.

• A front-end site design, which means HTML, CSS and likely Javascript. You may even need some Flash or Silverlight, depending on how elaborate you want the front-end to be.

• Graphics.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the answers :)
I have no idea what any of that stuff means. Except for flash.
But like i said, i'll do my research.
Oh and another question im guessing i'll need a server since i do intend on this being an online game.
I'm buying my domain from godaddy.com does it come with a server? Or do i get one somehow? Im not sure.
Or do i not need a server at all ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

You are going to need a server but I would advise not going through godaddy. Their prices may seem great at first but there are other hosts which offer way more for a little bit more. I'm a hardcore Dreamhost user I switched to them after godaddy. Any customer support tickets with dreamhost are answered by actual people, rather quickly and you can just reply directly to the customer support persons email.
Their services are around $109.00 per year and come with unlimited hosting and bandwidth with 1 free domain.

They always have a 2 week free trial that you can check out.

Note:
You can just host off of one of your own computers using something like a lamp package (linux, apache, mysql, php) or wamp (same thing but the w is for windows)but this would still require purchasing a domain name, which points to your server and you would get slow uploads to people using the site and it wouldn't be able to handle the amount of calls.

This post has been edited by calebj: 26 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

They host you're website on a Server.. Linux or Windows(IIS) Server computer.
This is where you upload your website content with FTP and Run you website on there .

Basically you are running you're website from a remote computer, you can make you website run on you own server if you want to.

All you really need to know here is HTML , Flash , and a some server language basics , and maybe some Javascript in the mix.

You can look at Arvixe :)

This post has been edited by marinus: 26 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Once again thanks :)
I'll checkout dreamhost. I thought go daddy was too good to be true, my domain cost $12/year but like you said i didn't look at how much bandwidth that means. I also know nothing about running a server from my own computer so im not even gonna try that till i do some more research.
& Thank You too Marinus so basically i need to study HTMl, Flash , PHP? & javascript ok. Gotcha.
I'll keep you guys updated on how it's coming along :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:09 AM

Good to hear, also make sure that you post about it in share my project section or you can create a dream in code community blog and talk about recent changes and get feedback on what users think.

I believe that GoDaddy is around $60-80 a year but limits your bandwidth and storage on server along with amount of databases, emails and domains.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

I think we need to note here that what you are trying to achieve is not a recommended beginner project. In fact, I am very confident in my abilities with PHP, HTML, CSS and JS but I would probably struggle a bit with it. So your best bet would be either wait a few years while you learn or hire somebody to do it.

EDIT: As it would take a long time to make, I recommend you do not buy any hosting yet (unless you have other uses for it), you can easily set up a development server on your PC which only you can access until it is ready to deploy.

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 26 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

Really eh? Someone told me that it would be average for a beginner, but that i just need to do a lot of work. How much do you think a professional would charge for a website like that & do you recommend any easy projects for a beginner like me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

Will not be easy at first, just learn html and css if you really want to DIY...

It will be frustrating at first , then it becomes fun .

You should have seen my first website >.<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:27 AM

Yeah im already a bit frustrated , this is harder than i thought. I have a good idea on html, i've used it many times before, i also understand flash and action script a bit. Still getting the hang of java. I guess now is PHP & CSS? But eh thanks for your help, i see hiring someone would cost $1000s of dollars. Yikes. I guess i'll just do this one myself :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:46 AM

Hmm well if you think you have anyone to offer, you could always try submitting to Weekend Hacker. But it is not just a place for freebies, you need to know exactly what you want and have something to offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Not sure why he is trying to defer you to other developers. I think that it is a great introduction project and it shouldn't be all that hard. The first thing that you should work on is the actual flash application. There are a lot of tutorials for things like this and all you need aside from that is the website that it will be embedded onto.

If you do it in flash which I assume you are then there shouldn't be an issue although it is a good idea to start developing this on a local testing environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +