• Last »

55 Replies - 5248 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Jealousy and Envy

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

POPULAR

So after reading another discussion on a Topix, it seems to be a never ending cycle of envy of their fellow socialites.
So this is what grinds my gears...

Why is it and let me clarify (I am not rich but I make enough to comfortably support my family at this time.) so why is it that people always have to say stupid things such as: "Must be nice to have kids go to a school that can afford to go on field trips while other parents can't even afford to take a vacation"

or "Since you live in such and such you can afford to pay $500 for your kid to participate in 1 sport, but we shouldn't have to pay because we live in the city"

I apologize for managing my life better than you, I apologize I decided to go to school and better myself to provide a semi comfortable lifestyle for my family. I guess you should have everything given to you since I had to work my ass off to not live in the Ghetto!

People day in and day out are always looking for handouts and then they turn around and bitch about those that decided to be smarter with their money.

</vent>

edit - it goes on and on but should be a good starting point to turn into something more interesting.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 26 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: Jealousy and Envy

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Jealousy and Envy

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

You need to stay out of my head, dude. I've said the same thing at least 100 times about the fact that there are so many people in our society that think the world owes them something just because they exist.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

people are always like that. first world problems. if you were super rich the other just slightly less super rich people would be like 'must be nice to have a 40 foot boot instead of a 30 foot one'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

It is shame, and also the reason why society will never co-exist without tension.

We rely too heavily on the government to coddle us, we rely on medicare and welfare and food stamps - not for help to get out of a tough situation, but as a means of employment. There are people whose full time job is to collect government aid. They make no effort to better their situation, yet they criticize others for making better life choices.

edit- agree 100% sloth. It's a no win

This post has been edited by Nykc: 26 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

I've been against welfare since I was old enough to know what it was. There is obviously something seriously flawed with a system that allows Old Dirty Bastard to Arrive at Welfare Office in Limousine. For those that somehow don't know who this man was, he was once a member of the Wu-Tang Clan, a group of rappers that have made millions as one of the best rap groups in history.

EDIT: See second section of the article for specifically what I was talking about.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 26 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Okay let's redirect this from a bitch fest about the lazy unemployed mouth breathing baby factory food stamp eaters suckling at the festering teet of a transgendered uncle sam and to a solutions orientated.

What are the causes of this life style?
What can be done to push people into a productive and self sufficient life style? Push abled bodies into Americorps? Bring back the Civilian Conservation Corps to clean up the devastation of flooding and tornadoes?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

I think laziness is the biggest cause for this "life style". The solution seems fairly simple to me, if you're going to offer aid to people, the guidelines for receiving that aid need to be a LOT stricter and there should be serious punishments for abusing the system. If you want food stamps and welfare checks, you need to be able to prove to the government that you are a willing and able worker. If you can't seem to find a job, you need to be willing to go out 5 days a week and spend a few hours every day trying to find a job. Giving some people free money and free food just because they're not working is going to do nothing more than cause them to become lazy and stop trying to better themselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

View PostKilorn, on 26 May 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

If you can't seem to find a job, you need to be willing to go out 5 days a week and spend a few hours every day trying to find a job. Giving some people free money and free food just because they're not working is going to do nothing more than cause them to become lazy and stop trying to better themselves.

Oddly enough - most if not all unemployment benefits (insurance, cash, etc) require you to show weekly you were applying for a set number of jobs or more.

Who can get food stamps:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10101.html#who

Edit:
Income levels for Nebraska:
http://www.hhs.state.../guidelines.htm

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 26 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

Yes unemployment but not welfare... And Unemployment tells you to keep a record so if someday they ask you to prove it you show them a notebook with crayoned in places you supposedly applied to. Not a solid method of tracking if you ask me.

Point being the system is severely flawed. Too many people are taking advantage of and mooching off of the government, contributing to the increasing taxes and higher costs of living. Supposedly there are more limitations on the length of receiving aid, but their are ways around that as well.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 26 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

So part of the solution is better auditing? Sounds pretty straight forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

'increase regulation', hahahah
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Better auditing??

More like stricter rules and better enforcement. Section 8 housing is a joke. You can live in an apartment complex normally costing working people $700-$800 a month to live in and if you are approved for section 8 your rent is anywhere from $40 - $100 a month.

Another way to "Fix" the problem in my opinion would be just straight cut em off after a period of time. Time to get your tough shit card punched.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 26 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

Haha.. I am glad someone got the humor.

Stricter rules? I think the enforcement is the better option. Heck - employee some of the unemployed to snitch on their own kind... the poor turning in the poor for a bit more. (Stellar rhyme!)

sure I am well aware of the section 8 housing. My way west suburban apartment is increasing the section 8 tenants... most from the north east part of town. They get their kids bussed across town to continue going to the school they were before. Sure I am seeing the "Cops"-esque tv show odd eviction fights, increase police presence, and theft.

Here's some pretty laid out rules for the welfare in Nebraska..

Nebraska families with children up to age 18 and pregnant women

Income limits and benefits are based on the Nebraska standard of need. As of 2009, the standard of need for a family of three is $710 a month.

Work-eligible welfare recipients may need to enroll in the Employment First program and participate in work-related activities. Approved work-related activities might include active employment, job training and seeking employment. Single-parent households require 30 hours of weekly work-related activities. Families with two eligible parents must participate in 35 to 55 hours of activity.

http://www.ehow.com/...e-nebraska.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

i 100% agree. i can't stand people that don't do anything and then put up all blame for their lack of advancement on something else. For example, people here always are bitching that they gotta get out of Buffalo and start somewhere else new. Like yeah, it could work out but Buffalo didn't stop you from graduating high school or going to college. thats why you have to work at mcdonalds, not because you live here. Its incredible how much people can bitch and moan about how much their life sucks but when they are asked what they have done to make it better, the answer is nothing. Maybe when you were 8, your parents would automatically do stuff for you but nothing is going to change unless you make it change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

I think it is natural for people to be envious. I think it was Karl Marx who said that envy is one of the sources of class struggle.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »