2 Replies - 832 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Floated Images Sinking

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

On this page (RRHS Athletics), near the bottom is a rectangular green image that should actually be nestled up in the paragraph just above it (floated left), but in FF it drops like a rock to the bottom of the container DIV. Placement of a similar (floated) image further up the page results in the same thing (showing up near the bottom in FF), while in IE the images stay where they are.

I know about the need to clear the element following a floated element so the container expands up to envelope the floated item (since IE wrongly but conveniently expands the container box so the floated element doesn't stick below it), and I have tried to do that but without success. I think this is related to the floated element-container box thing but I'm starting to think it's something else I'm missing. Any ideas?

This post has been edited by Speechist: 30 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Floated Images Sinking

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Floated Images Sinking

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

This may be due to your page displaying in backward‐compatibility (quirks) mode in those browsers. In that mode, browsers intentionally render pages incorrectly to be backward‐compatible with prior incorrect behavior. I would get your document out of that mode first; you can do that by using a full document type declaration with the URL at the end.

You may also want to fix the HTML errors while youíre at it. The document also uses obsolete code, but Iím not going to get into that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Floated Images Sinking

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

View PostArbitrator, on 31 Jan, 2007 - 07:06 PM, said:

This may be due to your page displaying in backward‐compatibility (quirks) mode in those browsers. In that mode, browsers intentionally render pages incorrectly to be backward‐compatible with prior incorrect behavior. I would get your document out of that mode first; you can do that by using a full document type declaration with the URL at the end.

You may also want to fix the HTML errors while youíre at it. The document also uses obsolete code, but Iím not going to get into that.

I appreciate the idea about the DTD and adding the URL; I've been in Transitional for so long that it may be time to step up to Standards (Strict) mode now. I've had to build for a lot of legacy systems in our district, but I think I can either start using conditional CSS statements now or turn my back on a few things. I already know about the validation errors and code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1