Laptop screen for coding

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 10316 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

Poll: Laptop for coding (25 member(s) have cast votes)

What screen would you prefer for coding:

1. 15.6 screen with 1920x1080 resolution (Full HD) (16 votes [64.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.00%

2. 17.3 screen with 1600x900 resolution (HD+) (9 votes [36.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Laptop screen for coding

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:55 AM

I have a poll for you guys. What would you prefer? If you would like to write a few words why you chose what you chose, you can do it here, maybe it will help some people.

Have a nice day!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Laptop screen for coding

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Laptop screen for coding

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

if I really could code like I would (i.e. no hardware limitiation), Id use 2 or 3 screens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

Bigger is better, right? That's what she said.

Seriously, I don't really care too much about resolution on a coding laptop, as long as it's above 1440x900. I just make sure that the screen isn't super glossy and highly reflective... That's make for a real pain in the ass accomplishing anything outdoors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

If you really only have the one laptop screen, a couple inches in size won't help. MULTIPLE screens all the way, which is harder to do on a laptop. At best you get 1 VGA out, and no way to put in a multi-video card.

Attached Image

I have a laptop for coding, but it is not my full-time coding machine. It is only for when I have to go to a client site and make some modification or fix while on site. Quite often I appropriate a second monitor *from* the site while I am coding for them. The idea of actually code entire solutions solely on a laptop makes me cringe. At the very least go for one of the big 20" laptops. Also, get a second keyboard and trackball/mouse. That way you can elevate the screen to eye-height and type at a correct height. If you don't maintain good ergonomomics while working for 8-12 hours a day you're going to look like a question mark before you are 30 years old.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 31 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

I've always had the worst posture of anyone I know, so at 28, I'm already starting to look like a question mark.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

It depends which is your greater priority, portability or usability? If you plan to take it to work/school everyday then I'd opt for the 15.6" laptop; if you plan to mainly use it at home and occasionally take it out, then I'd go for the larger 17.3".

The only thing that might concern me about the 15.6" laptop is that the resolution is very high for such a small area. It will have a high DPI, which may make text hard to read, although I believe that you can configure your OS and software to allow for this, or in the worst-case scenario simply use it with a lower resolution. Oh and don't buy a Dell! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

Bigger is better, right?...Seriously, I don't really care too much about resolution on a coding laptop

Bigger is not always better. In this case, the larger screen has fewer pixels, so while the physical screen will be bigger, it'll display less information at a time.

I realize you said you don't care about resolution, but for the life of me, I can't understand why. Resolution is, to me, far more important than the size of the display. If I have a smaller display with a higher resolution, and I really need to make something bigger, I can just reduce the resolution. But on a larger display with a smaller resolution, I can't do the opposite if I want to fit more on the screen at once.

Personally, the 14"-15" laptop is the correct size for me. Large enough to be usable, small enough to be portable. I've lugged around a 17" laptop before. They're heavy and a real pain in the ass.

In this case, all other things being equal, I can't recommend the 15" strongly enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

I think it's more of a resolution to physical size ratio that matter.

It doesn't matter if the resolution is 3000x4000 on a 12" screen because you won't be able to read it anyway. Personally, I carry a 17" Toshiba Satellite A100.

IMO the weight only matter if it is the only thing you are carrying. Once you combine it with the rest of your kit/book bag/luggage the weight difference between a 15" and a 17" is becomes meaningless. You can make up the difference by taking out one book - or don't carry 64oz Super Big Gulp.

Everyone is different, but to me once I have to carry the laptop, power supply, mouse, keyboard, etc., the difference in weight between the 15" and the 17" is lost. After the first 1.5 pounds, does another .75 pounds really matter? It does if you are crippled, but if you are an average bloke of average health it really shouldn't matter. If that .75 pound DOES matter: You should get a gym membership and visit your doctor.

Most times my laptop is in my camera bag so the entire thing is 1 carry-on: Lowepro Vertex 200 AW
So the weight of the laptop is just added to:
  • DSLR
  • 50mm-500mm supertelephoto which is a pound+ on it's own.
  • Tripod
  • Flash & batteries
  • Laptop Power supply
  • Apple Airport
  • Seagate USB drive
  • Remote cable and misc stuff

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

Well, if you're already carrying around a whole kit, it may not matter. On the other hand, if you're just carrying around the laptop and it's adapter, and you're carrying it around all day (say, around campus, or at a conference), the extra 1.5 lbs might make a noticeable difference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

My laptop is a 19" Alienware from a few years back and with everything that I carry in my bag, I'd say I probably lug around 20lbs. I'm pretty sure the difference in 1 or 2 pounds wouldn't make a difference in my situation, but like you said, if you're just carrying a light laptop and the power brick for it, the extra pound or two might be noticable after a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

Well, yes, you wouldn't notice +/- 2 lbs. But then again, most people don't carry that much around. My laptop's less than 5 lbs. I'd notice another 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 31 May 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

If you really only have the one laptop screen, a couple inches in size won't help. MULTIPLE screens all the way, which is harder to do on a laptop. At best you get 1 VGA out, and no way to put in a multi-video card.

Attachment Monitors.jpg

I have a laptop for coding, but it is not my full-time coding machine. It is only for when I have to go to a client site and make some modification or fix while on site. Quite often I appropriate a second monitor *from* the site while I am coding for them. The idea of actually code entire solutions solely on a laptop makes me cringe. At the very least go for one of the big 20" laptops. Also, get a second keyboard and trackball/mouse. That way you can elevate the screen to eye-height and type at a correct height. If you don't maintain good ergonomomics while working for 8-12 hours a day you're going to look like a question mark before you are 30 years old.

The poll? ye cool the 17 is better for code.Just change the resolution.
What I'm really interested in is 'tlhIn`toq screens. love how you did take.
What hardware do you use?(if you don't mind telling me)
Multiple graphic cards or some externel hardware or something like that?! :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Thx for the replies guys...the poll is very close right now though.

@RetardedGenius: both are Asus laptops, so no Dells. So far, after reading what you guys said I am cosidering the 15.6" one (Asus N53SN-SZ165V Core i7 2630QM 2GHz).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Mine is 16" with 1366 * 768 resolution. The only problem (apart from it being an Acer, but it has been alright so far) is that I bought it with a desk in mind most of the time. However I have been using it a lot at college which has involved carrying it everywhere and it is a tad too heavy (especially with everything else in my laptop bag).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

And I just tied the up the poll.

To me, the reason to have a laptop is for portability. I have a destkop that I use a lot of the time when I am at home. My laptop is for when I need my computer with me. That is why I would opt for the 15.6" screen. I don't really see any gain in an extra inch or two.

And it's a good thing it isn't a Dell. I have a Dell and I hate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +