5 Replies - 2307 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# 4.0 In a Nutshell - Very promising looking book

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I had started learning C# the hard way. I was a VB.NET programmer, and just decided one day to start writing code in C#. After learning a lot the "hard way", I decided to get a book. It just came in today. C# In a Nutshell from O'Reilly. Looks absolutely amazing. It's a HUGE book, but it looks all inclusive.

I'm going to try to read it cover to cover, though I imagine that'll take a while. But it seems like a great desk top reference as well.

So if you're looking for a pretty good book on C#, I think this may be the one. Just thought I'd give a tip to any C# programmer, begginer/novice/expert that would like to add another great book to their collection.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# 4.0 In a Nutshell - Very promising looking book

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# 4.0 In a Nutshell - Very promising looking book

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

It is a good reference book.
People should just remember that a reference book doesn't necessarily make the best self-teaching book.

A dictionary is a reference book, but you wouldn't use it as a text book to learn English. It wasn't authored with the intent to present lessons and exercises to build your skills from novice up to experienced.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yea I read a reference book after I had been learning C# for a while. It didn't teach me a lot about the language but it sure did teach me a whole ton about the framework it self. I like books from Apress and Microsoft. Microsoft Visual C# 2010: Step by Step to be exact :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 01 June 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

It is a good reference book.
People should just remember that a reference book doesn't necessarily make the best self-teaching book.

A dictionary is a reference book, but you wouldn't use it as a text book to learn English. It wasn't authored with the intent to present lessons and exercises to build your skills from novice up to experienced.

I agree with you, but personally I already know the .NET framework so I don't necessarily need a step through type book. Having this reference book I will be able to see what the syntax differences are. Just my opinion, but I think it'll get me to the point where I want to be with C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

I think his point was to explain that it's the kind of book for people like you, not people that need something more like a textbook. Which is valid and important.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

Absolutely, and I completly agree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1