• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

75 Replies - 5680 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Windows 8

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Well they previewed windows 8 at D9, and also at Computex 2011. What are your thoughts so far? I am actually quite happy with how its looking. I do wish they change the desktop GUI alittle though, its always good to have a little change.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Windows 8

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Windows 8

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

It's very difficult to tell. The problem with Windows is the internal code. If the code isn't changed, then Windows really isn't any better. Microsoft just got better at masking the problems with Windows.

On the other side, I must say that I think Microsoft did a decent job at adding new features for the evolving population. I am not a fan of the UI, but that is just me. I don't know if Windows 8 can really be evaluated on a whole until it is actually released. Remember... looks over should and whispers... vista?

This post has been edited by skybomb0: 01 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

View Postskybomb0, on 01 June 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

It's very difficult to tell. The problem with Windows is the internal code. If the code isn't changed, then Windows really isn't any better. Microsoft just got better at masking the problems with Windows.

On the other side, I must say that I think Microsoft did a decent job at adding new features for the evolving population. The UI didn't change at all, but I am not really worried about that. I don't know if Windows 8 can really be evaluated on a whole until it is actually released. Remember... looks over should and whispers... vista?

We don't talk about Vista. :P

This post has been edited by Astraeus: 01 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

Old news is old.

http://www.dreaminco...5362-windows-8/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

View PostNeverPool, on 01 June 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

Yes, but old news has massive update http://www.engadget....let-prototypes/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

POPULAR

View Postxtfresh, on 01 June 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

I do wish they change the desktop GUI alittle though, its always good to have a little change.

No its not. Not from a support perspective. Every time MS decides it needs to make a little change to justify the new OS it means a mountain of calls from users that are now lost. "Where do I find the Network Properties in THIS version?"...

Plus all the bitching.... "I hate the new Start menu. XP was a clean little menu. This new Win7 menu is larger than my calculator application."

Changes just for the sake of moving shit around is a severe pain in the ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

#7 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Also, new GUI features are going to be some of the last shown off. They're the thing that takes the most time, and is the least important to the actual function of the OS. I remember when they first started showing Win 7, it still looked very much like Vista.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

I say that Microsoft should never release another OS and only support and sell Windows XP. That was the last decent OS in the Microsoft family. Windows 7 didn't even have a directory up button in the file browser! Am I the only one bothered by that? And, then there was the evil plot of Microsoft to ruin their company's name forever in exchange for a load of money made in support (i.e. vista).

About 6 months after everyone in my family (excluding myself) bought brand new computers with Vista, every single one asked me to put Linux on their computers. So, apparently the OS based around terminal prompts is easier to use then one with a spiffed-up GUI designed to be extremely user-friendly.

I'm not exactly expecting much of Windows 8. Reviews can say whatever the features are, but you have no clue if they work until you buy it. That's why I won't. At any rate, I'm happier with my Ubuntu.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

View Postsupercorey, on 02 June 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

I say that Microsoft should never release another OS and only support and sell Windows XP. That was the last decent OS in the Microsoft family. Windows 7 didn't even have a directory up button in the file browser!

Vista is like Highlander 2, awful, didn't work, screwed up the storyline and continuity, and we just pretend it never happened.

I agree that XP was the least-bad of the Windows family: Unless you wanted 64bit. Then it fraking sucked. Most 32bit apps won't run right in it... tons of drivers wouldn't work... the list goes on.

I wasn't a fan of Win7 when it came out. I still hate the Start menu and other missing features (like browser up), the fact that default install doesn't show menes in WinExplorer and I could go on about the list of dislikes.

But I will say this *for* it... It has survived on my PC longer than any other Windows without requiring the customary nuke and re-install every 12 months. I used to just schedule it for my Christmas season vacation time: Back up everything, format the drive, reinstall the OS, online updates for a day, install applications, on-line updates, and start a new Outlook file for the new year.

But Win7 has caused me less trouble than any other Windows version. The drivers just install themselves 95% of the time. They work in 32 and 64 bit. I have no compatibility issues with the host OS on the PC and many VMware machines I run. I have only seen a BSOD once in the last 18 months.

All that having been said... I still feel it is no where near as reliable as my Macintosh which just runs and works, and updates and just doesn't fail. I guess it's that *nix based OS actually running things under the pretty GUI.

But frankly... Windows8... Internet Exploder 9... Hell, these people really have only just barely gotten Win7 and IE8 somewhat accepted and proven. 3rd party developers aren't even really churning out software that properly takes advantage of new features found in Win7.

But the new model year is upon us, like cars. There *has* to be a new one every year now it seems. It's hard and expensive on smaller development shops like I work for. If you don't have a team of 25 developers each with a small focus you have little hope of keeping up. The small agile software company has a hard time carving out a niche when then 2-5 developers get derailed from making software to just figure out the changes and why old software broke with the new OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#10 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

Windows 7 didn't even have a directory up button in the file browser!

No, it has several. Each parent directory in the path is a "directory up" button.

Posted Image

If you click on any part of the path, it'll go to that directory. And if you click on the down arrow in any part of the path, it'll show child directories of the one you clicked on. It's so much more functional than just a single "Go Up" button.

And, then there was the evil plot of Microsoft to ruin their company's name forever in exchange for a load of money made in support

Wow. That's a big load of crazy conspiracy theory right there. Windows Vista was a major kernel change. They had a lot of good ideas with Vista that they couldn't quite pull off. They refined it with Win 7, and it came out quite well. And in fact, most enterprise customers completely skipped Vista.

At any rate, I'm happier with my Ubuntu.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a guy with Tux as his avatar. Just like I wouldn't expect you to have anything good to say about MS in the first place.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this video:

Personally, I love it. It looks very futuristic and looks like the WP7 metro UI. I can easily imagine myself making applications with cool uses of the new Tile system. Similar to how Windows 7 apps make use of the jump lists.

I'm not exactly expecting much of Windows 8. Reviews can say whatever the features are, but you have no clue if they work until you buy it. That's why I won't. At any rate, I'm happier with my Ubuntu.

Linux avatar tells me everything about your OS choice and how you view Microsoft/Apple. :lol:

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 02 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

I still feel it is no where near as reliable as my Macintosh which just runs and works, and updates and just doesn't fail. I guess it's that *nix based OS actually running things under the pretty GUI.

I have a macbook myself. It's nice, but I've actually got a huge problem with it. When I put it to sleep (close the lid) about half the time, when it wakes up again, it won't connect to my SMB shares, and whatever is hanging up preventing that also prevents it from shutting down. I have to hard-reset it several times a week.

But the new model year is upon us

People got the wrong idea from Windows XP. XP lasted a freaking long time. But that's actually the outlier in their normal release cycle.

1992: Windows 3.1
1995: Windows 95 (3 years)
1998: Windows 98 (2 years)
2000: Windows 2000 / ME (2 years)
2001: Windows XP (1 years)
2006: Windows Vista (5 years)
2009: Windows 7 (3 years)
2012: Windows 8? (3 years)

It's obvious that the average release cycle is three years (2.7 to be exact). This is nothing new. And something tells me that it won't actually come out in 2012, since the spokesperson corrected Balmer about that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Personally, I am not a big fan of all of the eye candy that the newer Windows versions have attempted to provide. I still have good 'ol Windows XP on my computer at home and it hasn't failed me yet. I do also have Windows 7, but I don't use it very much.

In my opinion, Microsoft needs to save the UI from Windows 7 for inspiration. Currently, they need to go back to Windows XP, the last stable and reliable operating system, and fix the problems with that. Then, only after fixing the internal problems, begin to add new features to the UI.

Anytime Microsoft decides to do something different, it falls apart. Vista failed miserably when they tried to add in eye candy to an unstable operating system. And lets not even talk about Internet Explorer. Doing things different just for the sake of doing things different never turns out right. And Microsoft has run out of ideas. Now they just slap a new UI onto the old bug-ridden code and call it a new OS. And people still buy it! Why???
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

View Postskybomb0, on 02 June 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Currently, they need to go back to Windows XP, the last stable and reliable operating system, and fix the problems with that. Then, only after fixing the internal problems, begin to add new features to the UI.

I would argue that Windows 7 IS the last stable and reliable system - even more so than XP. Vista failed because it was a TOTALLY new kernel. Whenever you do that, stuff WILL go wrong. But as it has been said, Windows 7 fixed most of those problems, and the support for Windows 7 is much better than that of Vista.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#15 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

the last stable and reliable operating system

What the hell are you even talking about? Windows 7 is extremely stable and reliable. I've been running it practically non-stop on my rig since launch day, and I've yet to have an OS issue that wasn't caused by hardware failure.

Now they just slap a new UI onto the old bug-ridden code and call it a new OS. And people still buy it! Why???

Again, entirely full of crap. Windows 7 is significantly more than a "new UI." Just because that's the most immediately obvious feature to you doesn't mean it's the only one.

Some people just like being stuck in a rut, I guess.

Edit: Dogstopper is nicer than I am. Read his post instead of mine.

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 02 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »