• +
  • « First

75 Replies - 5881 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 8

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Microsoft and W3C standards compliance is like the Chewbacca argument from south park - "It just doesn't make sense."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

I'm just wondering when there will be a patch or update for the xbox to support more media/movie types. Whats the point of giving Windows and leaving everything else dragging behind...

I must say Media Centre was just such a load of crap. If you have 3000 videos like I have, it's just a night mare. Not to mention on xbox...

Oh well just my thought.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

in case you guys missed it, the 'rectangles inside other rectangles forming rectangles' format is coming to xbox proper in the fall
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Yep, that's definitely the UI they've been going towards. First the Zune HD (which really was their bastard child; great device, but they really didn't do much with it), then the W7P. Now the desktop and the XBox.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

As a ten-foot-ui, I like it. I've been a huge fan of the Windows Media Center and Xbox360 interfaces for a while now. Got MCE back with WinXP. I've played with other similar applications and the only one that came close was XBMC, but with the lack of proper TV-Tuner support it just doesn't meet my needs (and MythTV backend blows... and integration into XBMC is pretty crap, so I don't consider that 'proper').

Though I have to agree with motcom, it sucks handling huge libraries of videos. But I haven't seen a single 10-foot-ui handle that well... just differently. 3000+ videos is a bitch to display nicely and quickly on screen. And though some support is being generated; complex video cataloging tools, like those found for mp3/music files, just don't exist in large support yet.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 07 June 2011 - 06:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

For the Xbox it works, the Xbox design allows for that type of navigation and it just makes sense. For the Operating System on a Desktop - it is flat out retarded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

Are we back at this... it's not the default desktop.

Example, Win7 Media Center has a large rectangle based 10-foot-ui that works great from the couch (and with these Win8 designs would be nice on a touch screen). But I don't boot right into said Media Center... cause yes, that would be stupid.

The same goes for this Win8 design. They said it was a tablet/touchscreen layout, not the standard desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

Are you sure? I could have sworn that the dude in the video said this thing was designed to work well with touchscreens, but it worked with standard mouse/keyboard input as well, and that the OS would boot right into it.

Although, he did kind of slide into a Win7 looking thing there at some point. Perhaps that's their plan, to have this box thing in your face when you start the OS, but you can open up a classic desktop if you want. - Who knows, perhaps we'll be able to have that come up right away.

Maybe there will be a public beta like with Win7, and we'll be able to bug them about it relentlessly until they give in! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

Honestly, if this were a launcher screen, I wouldn't be that bothered. Put my favorite stuff on it, with a few live panels, and let it act as launcher and screensaver. No big deal, as long as I could drop out of it easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 07 June 2011 - 06:58 AM, said:

Are we back at this... it's not the default desktop.

Example, Win7 Media Center has a large rectangle based 10-foot-ui that works great from the couch (and with these Win8 designs would be nice on a touch screen). But I don't boot right into said Media Center... cause yes, that would be stupid.

The same goes for this Win8 design. They said it was a tablet/touchscreen layout, not the standard desktop.

actaully it is the default desktop for both desktops and tablets and notebooks and all form factors. "There is only one version of windows" said one of the guys at one of the press conferences during a Q and A. They also said that the UI is standard for desktops, notebook, tablets.... Its possible to switch to the regular desktop (by clicking on the desktop tile,pictures of the desktop tile can be seen on any windows8 tablet image).

Also, http://www.itwriting...-windows-8.html
Update: Journalist Mary Jo Foley has posted on what she “hears from my contacts” about Jupiter:

"Jupiter is a user interface library for Windows and will allow developers to build immersive applications using a XAML-based approach with coming tools from Microsoft. Jupiter will allow users a choice of programming languages, namely, C#, Visual Basic and C++."
http://www.zdnet.com...ilverlight/9608

This post has been edited by xtfresh: 08 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 02 June 2011 - 10:10 AM, said:

Completely wrong. Vista was stable and was looked down almost universally, not because it had 'bugs', but because hardware support was very shoddy. Hardware vendors didn't fully work with Vista and only with 7 did the vendors really start working correctly with the OS.

If Vista was so stable, then why on earth was I reinstalling the OS once a month for my mom when Vista would "accidentally" lose track of the DVD drive. The device manager wouldn't even recognize that it was connected.

I loved Windows XP and I love Windows 7. I run Windows 7 now and I honestly don't want to go back to school in the Fall because I know I'll have to use the college's XP computers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 13 June 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

If Vista was so stable, then why on earth was I reinstalling the OS once a month for my mom when Vista would "accidentally" lose track of the DVD drive. The device manager wouldn't even recognize that it was connected.

Sergio Tapia said:

because hardware support was very shoddy

Not that Vista was stable as such, but most hardware issues, like Sergio Tapia pointed out, weren't actually Vista's fault, but rather lazy/incompetent hardware manufacturers. - This is the same thing Linux system have had to deal with for ages. It always get's crap from people because of shoddy video/audio/etc... support, when in fact those issues are usually just caused by poor drivers. (*cough*ATI*cough*)

The real question is: if it kept failing every month, why did you keep reinstalling Vista?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

View PostAtli, on 13 June 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

(*cough*ATI*cough*)

Amen! Haha. There's only been a couple of times when I've gotten an ATI driver to work.

View PostAtli, on 13 June 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

The real question is: if it kept failing every month, why did you keep reinstalling Vista?

Because, at the time, Windows 7 wasn't out yet so my only choice was to keep reinstalling it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

How is it that every thread about a new OS always turns into a 'My OS is better than yours' debate by the third post? Are we really still arguing about this?

This is the bottom line: Windows was made as a commercial product. Windows Server editions are professional products, they work differently. Windows 64 bit until just recently had always been a developer playground, now it is a commercial product.

Windows 8 is their attempt to make a commercial product that appeals to a larger portion of consumers. We all tend to forget that developers are a minority in the consumer market. There just aren't as many of us as there are joe's and jane's buying operating systems and computers. Microsoft is worried that they're starting to lose shares. Thus, Windows 8 is born. It works by putting what you need in your face. Period. A consumer doesn't need a start menu, they just need word. A consumer isn't typically needing to go through custom installs, they just want the damn thing installed and working. This is a very smart commercial move for microsoft.

It's not meant for everyone. Such is life. Move on or keep 7.

As to the whole which OS is better, seriously, drop it.

Windows has always been for people who want to modify the OS without modifying the lower level OS.
Linux has always been for people who actually want to modify the low level OS code.
Mac has always been for the people who just want it to fucking work.

End of story.

Also, @supercorey, stop trolling.

supercorey said:

Windows 7 didn't even have a directory up button in the file browser!

Seriously? Use Google. This exists. Believe it or not, people do actually modify the UI.

supercorey said:

And, then there was the evil plot of Microsoft to ruin their company's name forever in exchange for a load of money made in support

No. As everyone has said, Vista only had problems for people who couldn't use it. The other problems were entirely the result of no one wanting to make drivers.

supercorey said:

Completely true, but in my defense, you can still choose the GNOME GUI at start-up or just install a new one. Windows doesn't have that option.

Yes it does. Use Google. Here's your first one: LiteStep

As to the rest of this crap about how you can't customize windows, USE GOOGLE. Seriously people.

Otherwise, I don't really think that Windows 8 will be bad, I just don't think it'll be for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

I guess the thing that is really getting developers isn't necessarily the desktop UI. In the long run, it's just a change that our eyes would have to get used to. But what scares people (and to an extent, me) is the fact that MSFT leaked about HTML5 and Javascript being the prominent developer platform (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/html5-centric-windows-8-leaves-microsoft-developers-horrified.ars/).

I doubt this will be the case. That's saying that applications developed for Win7 and below versions won't be compatible on Win8. I doubt that will be the case. And MSFT isn't going to talk about this until September..... awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First