• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Geek Dating

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

POPULAR

Found this on MSN today:

Seven Reasons to Date a Geek

1. He's capable of memorizing every line of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings so he shouldn't have trouble remembering your birthday and favorite kind of flowers.

He's only going remember things he wants to remember. I have trouble remembering birthdays, too... but damned if I can't quote from a shit ton of movies.

2. Sure, he may secretly want to get it on with his super hot neighbor, but knowing that you're the hottest girl he's ever been with will probably keep him from cheating.

Holy fucking self-absorbed, Batman!

3. Geeks tend to be tech-savvy. Which means not only will he be able to fix a computer problem and upgrade your software, but he'll actually enjoy doing it.

I'm pretty sure this was the basis for a series of Dilbert cartoons...

4. Although the dumb jock thing is a total cliché, you're unlikely to meet a dorky guy who can't string together a sentence and carry on an intelligent conversation.

Just because he can do it, doesn't mean you'll be able to understand it.

5. Since he's supersmart and probably already making a ton of money, he won't immediately think being a roadie for Vampire Weekend is a great "career opportunity."

Really? How many of y'all are making "tons" of money?

6. He was probably bullied during high school so he'll be sympathetic when you vent about the office nag ... and help you plot a plan to bring her down.

Not at all cliché.

7. He'll never hog the bathroom to manscape.

... he'll just hog the kitchen table making costumes to wear to ComiCon.

Seriously, why is this shit on the "news"? Date a dork because you like him, not because he's loaded and willing to fix your shit. Shallow fucking people.

I need to find my Midol.

Fuck.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 24
  • +

Replies To: Geek Dating

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Geek Dating

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

5. Since he's supersmart and probably already making a ton of money, he won't immediately think being a roadie for Vampire Weekend is a great "career opportunity."

Really? How many of y'all are making "tons" of money?

Pffsst.. I don't make a ton of money, but I was trying to be a roadie for the Foo Fighters when I saw them play for three hours straight (thanks for not showing up Motorhead! No really - thank you, this became top 3 concerts ever). Hell even before I found out it would be an extended show I was making sure key friends and family know a head of time that if I could either: sneak on board a bus and integrate myself as a roadie, or some how get it across to Grohl I am a multiskilled and thus *should be hired on the spot* I would call them from a payphone in the next city.

Drop it all baby! 'Almost Famous' was a touching story it was a training video!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

The fact that you analyzed this in detail when it was clearly meant as just a comedic little article to break up the monotony of the usual horrific news astounds me. Why couldn't you just laugh about it and enjoy it for what it is? Is it necessary for us to analyze every thing we read and try to validate it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

I didn't read it as a joke. I read it as a legitimate "advice" column (Cosmo-on-MSN).

Note: I can't access the actual, original Cosmo article from work... I get an "Adult site" warning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

Yet another reason to never take anything seriously if it has anything to do with Cosmo.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Fun side journey - read up on the author of that article: Ashley Womble. Her personal blog/site/thingie is entitled "Homegurls: A Modern Girl's Guide to Playing House".

http://homegurls.tumblr.com/
http://www.linkedin....omble/4/969/304
http://northtexan.un...s-ashley-womble

It's all about context baby!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

POPULAR

View PostKilorn, on 02 June 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

The fact that you analyzed this in detail when it was clearly meant as just a comedic little article to break up the monotony of the usual horrific news astounds me. Why couldn't you just laugh about it and enjoy it for what it is? Is it necessary for us to analyze every thing we read and try to validate it?

View PostBenignDesign, on 02 June 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

I need to find my Midol.

...just sayin'.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

though this thread is a bit of a joke here is my input from a high school students standpoint. It is getting to the point that almost everybody is well versed with technology. Students have to be now a days. The "computer geek" stereotype, at least in my school is almost non-existent. Don't get me wrong there are still "Geeks" but they tend to be the socially awkward(which does not have to go hand in hand with computer savy people) kids who wear black and play pokemon still. Also the article mentioned about liking movies such Star wars. The Sci-Fi and superhero genres are becoming main-stream and everybody see's and knows them.

This post has been edited by D.Mulroy: 02 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

though this thread is a bit of a joke here is my input from a high school students standpoint. It is getting to the point that almost everybody is well versed with technology. Students have to be now a days. The "computer geek" stereotype, at least in my school is almost non-existent. Don't get me wrong there are still "Geeks" but they tend to be the socially awkward(which does not have to go hand in hand with computer savy people) kids who wear black and play pokemon still. Also the article mentioned about liking movies such Star wars. The Sci-Fi and superhero genres are becoming main-stream and everybody see's and knows them.

Meh. It's different in my school. Next to no one knows how to work a computer EFFICIENTLY. I mean sure, they can turn a computer and go check facebook, but they don't know much more than that. The kids who know how to program and participate in robotics get singled out and are usually thought of as hackers. I unplugged a VGA cable one time and the net admin came in and asked my programming teacher if I was a good kid and if I was hacking the school network.. Serious accusations are serious. -_-
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

View PostAstraeus, on 02 June 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

*snip*

Meh. It's different in my school. Next to no one knows how to work a computer EFFICIENTLY. I mean sure, they can turn a computer and go check facebook, but they don't know much more than that. The kids who know how to program and participate in robotics get singled out and are usually thought of as hackers. I unplugged a VGA cable one time and the net admin came in and asked my programming teacher if I was a good kid and if I was hacking the school network.. Serious accusations are serious. -_-

This happens all the time at my school. I can make the net admins run in circles because they're to dumb to block command prompt.

Anyways, the geek stereotype at my school is more hipsters with their iPods and iPads sitting around at lunch, but if you ask if you can borrow their MacBook Air or some other shit their using for Facebook, and Facebook only to SSH into your server because you have to check on something, they'll give you a blank look and search Google for "SSH"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hatin on Cosmo again? Damn...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 02 June 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

Hatin on Cosmo again? Damn...

Don't worry B9, we can waste away again in Margaritaville. Searching for my lost shaker of salt. Some people say that there's a woman to blame, but... it's their own damn fault.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

It sounds like it was written by a woman at least. Oh look! money! I can sit at home and not work and buy all this crap! My "man" can do all this work for me that I am too lazy to learn myself. Women...

This post has been edited by Topher84: 02 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

the other idea is that it was written by a total nerd(a very smart one) to play into stereo types so he could get more attractive girls or simply more...

just saying, it's not a bad idea. you can snarl at it all you want but if this thing lands 1 geek some bimbo that was stupid enough to fall for it then that would just be ok in my book.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'm still waiting on that one really fucking hawt chick that likes fat guys.

Because everyone knows fat guys get hawt bitches.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »