• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

75 Replies - 8664 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

antivirus and spyware

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

My trial is about to run up on McAfee and i really do not want to spend money to get more security. can you guys recomend some free programs that work well? thanks...
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: antivirus and spyware

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: antivirus and spyware

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

I had the free version of Avast for a while before I got Kaspersky. I am in love with Kaspersky, but Avast worked well enough. You can also take a look at AVG as an antivirus. COMODO is an excellent firewall too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both are free and whatever one doesn't find the other does.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#4 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

I'm using the same thing RandomlyKnighted is using. They're both fine. Malwarebytes AntiMalware is actually a damn good product (with a crazy name).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

Malwarebytes is pretty awesome, and I have Avast installed on a couple of my machines. I've heard a lot of good things about AVG, but never actually tried it. I also have Spybot Search & Destroy installed on my main desktop, but rarely ever use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Avast is very good, but incredibly loud, for some reason. It shouts words at you whenever something happens. And since virus scans are usually scheduled overnight...

When I was in university, I had my PC in my dorm with me. Avast detected a virus on one of my network drives, in the middle of the night. I just remember hearing "VIRUS DETECTED" and literally jumping out of bed.

What I'm saying is, if you use Avast, turn your volume down.

As to AVG, it used to be my AV of choice. But with every update, it got more and more pushy about buying the paid version. The free version is practically one big ad now. So I dropped it.

Also, @OP, McAffe sucks very much. So does Norton. The free programs are at least as good, often better, and aren't nearly as intrusive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

Yea, Avast is definitely loud. I have a flash drive from work that has almost all of my companies software on it and every time I plug it into a computer with Avast, the computer screams "Threat Detected" at me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 02 June 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both are free and whatever one doesn't find the other does.

ditto + http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx, just for kicks
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

You know you can turn off Audio alerts in Avast right? I use AVG and Malwarebytes. I might check into the MS Security Essentials though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

View PostSethro117, on 10 June 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

You know you can turn off Audio alerts in Avast right? I use AVG and Malwarebytes. I might check into the MS Security Essentials though.

In my opinion, it's worth the change to Microsoft Security Essentials. I have never had any luck with AVG. It updated and ran a scan multiple times each week and it never once found a problem on my computer. I used it for over 2 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

I've also got a free 1 year subscription to McAfee with my laptop. I actually wish I didn't, it came pre-installed and it didn't take me long to realise what a shockingly awful piece of software it is! I'm tempted to un-install it and load up AVAST, which I consider to be superior - despite the fact that the home version is free. :)

I haven't tried Malwarebytes yet, but it I've heard a lot of praise for it recently. A lot of users seem to have running in tandem with another anti-virus package - is this recommended?

PS: I've found Spybot Search & Destroy great for finding spyware that my antivirus scanner can't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

View PostRetardedGenius, on 11 June 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

I haven't tried Malwarebytes yet, but it I've heard a lot of praise for it recently. A lot of users seem to have running in tandem with another anti-virus package - is this recommended?

MalwareBytes is a scanner. You can have many of these on the same system. The problem comes when you have multiple antivirus programs that continually monitor as they 'fight' each other and essentially let virus through. That is why I usually recommend to people when their subscription is over to fully uninstall and install MSSE because It will always be free.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

I Security Essentials on one of my laptops. We'll see how she works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

First i was using kaspersky... Now shifted to Microsoft security essentials and windows firewall,,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

View PostRetardedGenius, on 11 June 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

I've also got a free 1 year subscription to McAfee with my laptop. I actually wish I didn't, it came pre-installed and it didn't take me long to realise what a shockingly awful piece of software it is! I'm tempted to un-install it and load up AVAST, which I consider to be superior - despite the fact that the home version is free. :)

PS: I've found Spybot Search & Destroy great for finding spyware that my antivirus scanner can't.

jvdubn, was sort of right in his post. Where he said you can have multiple ones on your system. Actually you don't want multiple antivirus software installed. What you want to do is find one good software because having more than one installed will cause the two programs to conflict and will reduce their ability to effectively work.

It is completely fine to run Malwarebytes with an antivirus software because Malwarebytes is well a malware removal software not an antivirus software. In your antivirus software, just exclude Malwarebytes from the search. Then exclude your antivirus software from the search of your antivirus software. Even the Malwarebytes Staff in the Malwarebytes Forums recommends you to do this. It's a well known problem and they are working to fix it. For the moment, this is a simple solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »