• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

75 Replies - 8516 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: antivirus and spyware

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

I got the free commercial version of Sophos through my university but I believe they offer a free version as well. I think they have a windows version you can check out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

On my main computer, I use Arch Linux. That's about the best protection I can get. On my laptop, I use MS Security Essentials and Windows Firewall. I also use common sense and haven't actually needed either program since I got it a year ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

Ive been using Avg till recently, the free version, though i have switched from Avg now i didn't have any problems with it.

This post has been edited by clskr: 13 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

What did you switch to?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 13 June 2011 - 04:58 AM, said:

What did you switch to?

Kaspersky.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

I used to use AVG but switched to Avast. It is a great piece of free software and does everything I need it to. Yes the countless warnings and notifications are surprisingly loud but you can turn the audio portion off :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

you know what's wired? i don't use anti-malware at all. everything runs just fine as expected. maybe im an idiot for running Windows with no mal-ware protection but it seems safe to me.

the best advice is to NOT do stupid shit like download untrusted binary's. also i avoid clicking on ads. it's just common sense people, common sense.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 14 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Just because you have no signs of malware doesnt mean you have no malware or anything else. For all you know right now I have something on your computer just waiting to strike so I know when I've got you, I've gotten everything and you cant do anything about it.

Thank you.

Just because you think you're safe, doesnt mean you are safe. It's common sense ishkabible, common sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

View PostSethro117, on 15 June 2011 - 06:54 AM, said:

Just because you have no signs of malware doesnt mean you have no malware or anything else. For all you know right now I have something on your computer just waiting to strike so I know when I've got you, I've gotten everything and you cant do anything about it.

Thank you.

Just because you think you're safe, doesnt mean you are safe. It's common sense ishkabible, common sense.

I agree with both of you. Running a Windows OS online, with no security is just crazy - you're going to get stung sooner or later! Conversely, even with great protection, by using bad judgement, when downloading files and browsing the web, you still stand a high chance of your information being stolen. It's also worth noting that just because your chosen AV doesn't find any malware on your system during a scan it doesn't mean that there isn't a rootkit lurking out of its sight!

Personally, I'm very wary when browsing the web and downloading files. I scan everything I download before loading or viewing it, even when I've no reason to believe that it could be compromised. I also have a basic understanding of the different types of malicious software - they're not all viruses! :o - and the behaviour they typically exhibit, manipulating the registry, etc. I haven't had a problem with malicious software for almost 4 years now. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

eh ill risk it, i don't have any information on my computer worth taking. then again i may look into something light weight though. you do make a point in saying that malware may be present even though no signs are showing. i know i used to have avast as a screen savor, i may do that again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

Funny story about Avast. I install Avast on my customers machines if they do not have anti-virus, or if they have AVG. Once this customer calls me up yelling & screaming at me. In the version 4.8 the voice was a man's voice. She heard this at 2:am, from downstairs, & didn't understand what it had said. She thought someone was in the house.

Now I disable the sounds anytime that I install it.

Oh, & AVG is worthless. It's on most of the machines that come into my shop for virus cleanings.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love the fact that it's worthless, because I get paid for the fact it's a well known-yet worthless piece of software.

Thank you AVG! I just got paid - Son!

View Postishkabible, on 15 June 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

i don't have any information on my computer worth taking.

Wrong attitude. Most of today's malicious attacks don't target your data. They want to use your bandwidth.

You'll get a letter from your ISP because your ISP was firing off email spam at an alarming rate, or worse yet a knock at your door because your ISP was DDOS'ing government servers.

They don't give a fuck about your data. You're their patsy. Know the dangers.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

Have any of you used Avira? I know on the Malwarebytes forums they say to download and use the free version of Avira. I thought about trying it but I just wanted some of your opinions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 19 June 2011 - 10:10 AM, said:

Have any of you used Avira? I know on the Malwarebytes forums they say to download and use the free version of Avira. I thought about trying it but I just wanted some of your opinions.

I did briefly, but the constant bombardment of advertisements from it was too much for me, so I quickly un-installed it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

I have norton 360 v5, and I also use spybot S&D.but I am getting a new laptop soon and might try the microsoft security bits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

what do you guys think of kaspersky? i have the paid version for like a year or so, it came as an offer along with my laptop so i said why not? i've had the laptop for a few months now and kaspersky seems to be very good. btw, is kaspersky also for spyware..? and is it a good idea if you have two anti-virus software (say avast and kaspersky) running at the same time..?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »