• +
  • Last »

75 Replies - 8365 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: antivirus and spyware

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

No, you should not have 2 antivirus software installed at the same time. You can however, have 1 antivirus program, 1 antispyware program, and 1 anti-malware program all installed at the same time as they target different types of viruses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 19 June 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

No, you should not have 2 antivirus software installed at the same time. You can however, have 1 antivirus program, 1 antispyware program, and 1 anti-malware program all installed at the same time as they target different types of viruses.

i assume kaspersky 2011 targets all those points?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

View Postjamesb1, on 19 June 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

is it a good idea if you have two anti-virus software (say avast and kaspersky) running at the same time..?

Horrible idea. One will watch the other & vise versa. So as they hook the Windows Messaging API, it will be extremly counter productive as avast scans kaspersky scanning the API message, kaspersky scans avast scanning the API message. Your system resources will go down the proverbial tube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm partial to Avast + AdAware myself. Not sure how they compare to the others, but I've not had a virus or malware issue for years.

What bugs me about AdAware these days, though, is that they are starting to bloat it with Anti-Virus stuff. I love it for being a great malware scanner, but the anti-virus crap they've added bugs the hell out of me. I might have to find something else. (Malewarbytes sounds interesting.)

I tried Norton for a few hours. Until it ran the auto-update program and rebooted without my consent. Needless to say that shit was off my system before the next reboot.

The Microsoft Security stuff sounds very... insecure to me. It's probably not a logical though, seeing as they have the most experience dealing with security issues (probably much much more than we are made aware of), but instinct tells me not to trust Microsoft with my system security. - I might have to try it out though, just for kicks. After all, Microsoft has their moments.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

I reinstalled Windows 7 and so I'm trying out Avira at the moment. Of course I've got Malwarebytes running along side it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

i still don't have any, is there something that is more light weight? i tried out Avast but it made my system slower than dirt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#37 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

Avast & Comodo are the two most light weight anti virus programs on the market that I am aware of.

How much system memory do you have? If you are meeting the bare minimum requirements of the OS, & then install an anti-virus, yeah, the results are usually devastating!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:09 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 June 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Avast & Comodo are the two most light weight anti virus programs on the market that I am aware of.

How much system memory do you have? If you are meeting the bare minimum requirements of the OS, & then install an anti-virus, yeah, the results are usually devastating!

The results of following 'minimum' or 'recommended' system specifications are typically devastating! :o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

i have plenty of extra memory, avast just didn't like my system for some reason(don't beat me for that statement). i installed AVG to give it a try and it worked fine, i have no clue what caused it but avast was using up a lot of resources.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

I'm still running Avira, but it just seems a little confusing to me. I guess I'm just used to the simplicity of Malwarebytes. :taz:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

Well I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials and a paid (not by me) version of AVG. They sometimes clash. Though my system says AVG is slowing performance at startup - takes 65 seconds to load, their watchdog service...
That said, I'm running Win 7 32-bit, 2GB DDR3 1333MHz and a i3 3.2GHz. Not the fastest, but shouldn't take 65 seconds for AVG.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

I'm looking at the kaspersky box and so far, it looks (and is) better than most major products out there

hourly updates
Scans web activity (http)
Personal firewall leaks stopped: 85% (others are below 32%)
Detect rootkits is 2 points higher than the highest (its 6.5/8.0)
Keylogger protection
Free tech support by phone, email, chat, kbase(?)
Low memory usage: 16mb (mcafee has 66, tendmicro has 70. The only lowerr is norton at 11 but it has half the features)
Time to start IE is one second faster
And one of my favorite settings: restores correct settings after an attack.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

I can vouche for Kaspersky. The feature that has impressed me the most is its ability to be customized for tech geeks, while also being ready to go right out of the box. The updates are done automatically and don't consume your bandwidth which is great. It also scans your computer constantly without using up all of your cpu. I don't have a super fast computer at 2.4 GHz with 2GB of RAM and Windows 7 32 bit. So the speed of Kaspersky is definately something that cannot be beat. And with absolutely not viruses since I got it, I would say it does a great job all around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

View Postgareth.nic, on 25 June 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

Well I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials and a paid (not by me) version of AVG. They sometimes clash. Though my system says AVG is slowing performance at startup - takes 65 seconds to load, their watchdog service...
That said, I'm running Win 7 32-bit, 2GB DDR3 1333MHz and a i3 3.2GHz. Not the fastest, but shouldn't take 65 seconds for AVG.

I don't know what HDD you have but it should take 65 seconds to load Windows 7 not 65 seconds for a single program! :o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

System performance has taken a knock after AVG. Can't decide on Kaspersky or Bitdefender internet security. Looking for a low resource one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »