2 Replies - 9115 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create database, insert data & call data on website

Post icon  Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:56 AM

Hi, I'm a newbie to using MySQL and I'd like to learn more about it. I currently run a site that offers free avatars.

For the duration of my site running, I've discovered that just uploading avatars using FTP to a directory on my server and then linking them from my web page

Eg: http://MY-SITE.net/a...l_fantasy03.gif

can be quite a hassle expecially when it comes to organising, creating new folders, choosing filenames and ending up with links that are very long (imagine the above link stored within 6 folders/directories). It can be a real pain.

I've noticed that many sites have been creating databases and then inserting their data into them and then "calling" them up on thir web paegs. This has made it more convenient (from what I can see) to manage their data/images etc.

I'd like learn how to do just that, to make it more easier for me to organise avatars on my site.

However, I'm a Newbie at this and I mightn't of explained my situation properly, I'm sorry if I've confused some people.

In plain, I'd like to learn to:

- Create a database
- Insert data (images)
- Call them/get them (the data) to show up on my web page (my web pages are in PHP...eg: "index.php")

I'm sorry if I sound demanding, but believe me, I'm quite desperate as I've been staring at PHP & MySQL tutorials for a long time, yet none them seem to help at all (or there have been no tutorials that show what I'm looking for). I'm hoping that finally someone will be able to help me.

Thank You for taking time to read this. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

If there's something I didn't explain properly please tell me.

This post has been edited by damu_child: 01 February 2007 - 01:57 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create database, insert data & call data on website

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create database, insert data & call data on website

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:18 AM

someone can not explain this to you in one thread,
if you have more specific problems we can help you out but there are more than one techniques that you would have to know to accomplish what you want.

this isn't the most complicated thing in the world but there are a couple steps to it and since you are so new there wouldn't be a way for you to grab a hold of it unless we just gave you the code.

i'm going to point you to w3schools :

http://w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp

great beginner tutorials for php, and it ties in with mysql,
they may not be geared exactly towards uploading graphics but the steps are the same and you have to learn those.

then i would suggest just googling for a very simple php gallery script, there are literally millions out there, and taking it apart and seeing how it works.

if you have any specific questions about these tutorials or a particular script you are working with we will be glad to help but it would be just another tutorial if i typed all that out right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to create database, insert data & call data on website

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

Thanks capty99 for the link! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1