• +
  • Last »

93 Replies - 3036 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

What's on your Kindle, Nook, eReader

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

Just because I am looking for new stuff to read.

Currently:
War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells

Just finished:
Serial - Jack Kilborn, Jake Crouch
I'm Getting Too Young For This - Steve Games
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What's on your Kindle, Nook, eReader

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's on your Kindle, Nook, eReader

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

My actual dead tree book is Cryptonomicon. I am on the last leg of the book... circa page 800ish of 1168. It's a beast.

Next on deck - either On Walden Pond, one of my newly found Vonnegut books, Hyperion by Dan Simmons, or The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian: The Original Adventures of the Greatest Sword and Sorcery Hero of All Time! by Robert E. Howard.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

That Cryptonomicon looks pretty intense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

The entire Wheel of Time series. Reread it when Towers of Midnight was released. That took a little while, considering it's 13 books with a grand total of just under 4 million words. Each book averages at about 307k words, so each is a fairly in-depth novel. If you're looking for reading material for a long while, I can't suggest this series strongly enough. By the time it really slows down (books 8-10, or thereabout), you're already hooked, so you can power through the crap and get back into the action. Jordan knew he was dying, so he wrote book 11 in a much more exciting fashion. He didn't get to finish his series, but he explained everything that was supposed to happen to his wife and family, and they got Brandon Sanderson to finish writing the series. He's done a very good job so far. The final book comes out next year.

Speaking of Sanderson, I've got the Mistborn series on my kindle as well. Very good trilogy there.

A couple of classics: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, and The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle.

And a few books by L. E. Modesitt Jr. They're fantasy books as well, and they're pretty good, but I can't recommend them as strongly as the Wheel of Time or Mistborn. I like them because I started the series when I had nothing else to read, so it's interesting to revisit his world, but it's just not as good writing as the others.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

Wait, I'm not sure what your first comma is doing. Is this newly found Vonnegut book called "On Walden Pond"? Or are you talking about Thoreau's "Walden Pond" and an unnamed Vonnegut book? Only ask because I've never heard of it, and I thought I've read all of Vonnegut's novels (not short stories though...).

As for OP's question, don't have any electronic book device. Did just get my hands on Imajica 1st edition hard cover yesterday... found at thrift shop for 2 bucks! I loved this book back in high school but someone stole it... grrrr.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

I'm currently working on "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It was highly recommended by a friend - I'm about half way through and so far it's quite good.

Recently completed "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. Excellent read right up until the last chapter. The last chapter pissed me off. Just saying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 03 June 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

As for OP's question, don't have any electronic book device. Did just get my hands on Imajica 1st edition hard cover yesterday... found at thrift shop for 2 bucks! I loved this book back in high school but someone stole it... grrrr.

Clive Barker huh? Made some pretty cool movies, but never tried his novels. I will have to check him out sometime.

@Benign - The Historian sounds like a Twilight offshoot. Amiright

I was looking at a book by a more modern novelist - was a post apocalyptic novel which was written some time in the 80's. I really wish I could remember the name/author of that book.

Something of this country or something like that.

Anyone else get into post apocalyptic stuff? The Road was a good read, dark but enjoyable. And I managed to polish off Stephen King's Under the Dome in less than a month. It was 1000+ pages if I recall. That's about average for him though. Second book of his I read that starts off strong.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 03 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

LoD - sorry I was labeling the potential book choices on deck post this behemoth:
1. Walden Pond - Thoreau
2. Any book of my newly re-found (it was lost for about five-ish years) collection of Vonnegut books.
3. Hyperion
4. Conan
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

View PostNykc, on 03 June 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Um. No. I don't read shit about sparkly undead teenagers in angst-riddled "love". The Historian is based around Vlad Dracul. There's not much romance... but I have lost a few nights sleep in paranoid fear.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

View PostNykc, on 03 June 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

View Postlordofduct, on 03 June 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

Clive Barker huh? Made some pretty cool movies, but never tried his novels. I will have to check him out sometime.

I always preferred his novels. His movies were fun in a B-movie horror kind of way, but never truly scary in my opinion. His novels on the other hand are really good and have had me looking under my bed (the book version of Candyman is freaky scary, it's a short story only and goes by the name 'The Forbidden', you can find it in the 'Books of Blood' collection). A nice mix of fantasy and horror.

Top of my list by him are:

Imajica - many years ago the world is split into 5 dominions locking 'God' into the 1st of them, Earth being the 5th and completely disconnected from the middle 3 which can be walked between freely. 'God' has a new son born on Earth who is destined to reunite all 5 dominions and releasing 'God' from his prison in the 1st. His son learns from his travels through the dominions and has to make his own decision about what he should do about his father.

Weaveworld - an ancient magical society being hunted down has sewn themselves into a large rug. This rug is to be protected by a family until the right time, but when the last member of the family to die with no heir, a young man is pulled into a world of freaky demons and villains who are trying to destroy the rug and needs to protect said rug, or choose to unravel it and enter their magical world.

Thief of Always - a young boy fed up with his boring life is convinced into taking a vacation at the 'Hood House' by a man who flew through his window. The house is a magical paradise where every day opens in spring, lunches in summer, sets in fall and every evening before dinner it is Christmas. One day though he decides tries to leave only to find 1 day in Hood House is equal to a year in the real world...

Mister B. Gone - (his most recent, really good) the book is a demon, quite literally you hold in your hands a demon that had gotten stuck inside a book. The entire read is a conversation with the demon as he attempts to convince you into burning the book and ending his life for him. He uses compassion, fear, threats, and all sorts of mind tricks up his sleeve to try and convince you to just stop reading and burn the book.

The last one I found really fun just for the interesting approach Barker took to literature. Half way through I actually tried jumping ahead just to see if the demon would try to stop me, of course he didn't, it's just a book. But that's good story telling if Clive Barker was able to get me to just do that.

Note I read most of his stuff in middle school, so it was mostly my child side it played to. But then again all the adults who took a look at what I was reading were very concerned that my mother let me read such 'adult' material... so I don't know. But if fantastical worlds with crazy creatures (both evil and good) don't interest you, don't bother. But for me it was like Tolkien with out all the gay elves and hobbits and instead dark gritty creatures more akin to the classic Scandanavian folklore I grew up with (in darkness that is).

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

If you are into that style I would suggest the Sandman Slim novels.

first

second

I was given the second one for christmas so I better fill in with the first novel.. eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

@LoD - I am going to look into that Imajica - looks pretty good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Curtis Rutland, not yet read (or bought) Wheel of Time, but Mistborn is fantastic.

As you seem to be reading classics, I presume Dracula, Robinson Crusoe, Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo? Some very good books there!

EDIT: Another I really liked was a Sci-Fi called Blood Music, published 1985, it involves biotechnology, hive minds and the like. Very clever and intriguing book!

EDIT2: The title needs "bookshelves" appended. I do not yet have an e-reader (though will probably get a kindle for practicality), but I do have 5 bookcases full of books!

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 03 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

let's see, on my nook the last couple i read were

Prey by Michael Crichton
The Dark Tower I & II by Stephen King
Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich
Harry Potter 1 and half way thru 2

and I bought, but haven't started
God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

which I haven't started because I've been reading The Art of a Beautiful Game by Chris Ballard that I got in old fashioned tree form.

also, just killing a bunch of stuff from longreads.com on my iPad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

See, the funny thing is when I was a kid, I read so many of those classics, but in an abridged form. It was a large set by some publisher...I didn't know they were abridged, I just read them.

So reading the unabridged versions now is quite interesting.

I have Robinson Crusoe and The Count of Monte Cristo on my kindle, but I haven't started working through them yet. Oh, I forgot, I also recently reread The Prince and the Pauper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »