Looking for a good C++ compiler

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 2183 Views - Last Post: 06 June 2011 - 10:35 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for a good C++ compiler

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Recent, I graduated from the school I was attending, while there I was using Visual Studio to code with C++. There I had access to programs from Microsoft through website called DreamSpark, since graduating I have lost access to the program and now I no longer have a compiler, I was looking to get a free compiler that is almost as good as that. What would be my next best option for me?

also, I'm running Windows XP.

This post has been edited by Liinx: 03 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Looking for a good C++ compiler

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for a good C++ compiler

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Well that is actually a full IDE (integrated development environment), and I agree that it is pretty nice. If you are just looking for a compiler I would suggest getting g++, it is a linux style C/C++ compiler with a port for windows (there is a version for Mac as well).

If you want to stick with an IDE then I would suggest looking at Visual Studios Express (free) or Netbeans (it isn't as nice as Visual Studios, but also not as bad as others out there - my opinion).

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

See also the C++ FAQs topic which is pinned at the top of the page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply bud. I'll look into the g++ and see if thats what I'm looking for. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

g++ is awesome compiler. I use it daily on Linux myself. Though it is not full blown integrated development environment like visual studio but just a compiler.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 03 June 2011 - 11:09 PM, said:

Well that is actually a full IDE (integrated development environment), and I agree that it is pretty nice. If you are just looking for a compiler I would suggest getting g++, it is a linux style C/C++ compiler with a port for windows (there is a version for Mac as well).

If you want to stick with an IDE then I would suggest looking at Visual Studios Express (free) or Netbeans (it isn't as nice as Visual Studios, but also not as bad as others out there - my opinion).

Hope that helps.

Seconded! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Codeblocks is a nice C++ IDE with a built in compiler. It's free. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

For a compiler I might suggest nuwen's MinGW distro. It contains a newer version of GCC (4.6.0)* than most of the other MinGW distro's out there -- the one it includes offers most of C++0x which is very nice to have. It also comes with a number of libraries pre-compiled and ready to use such as SDL and Boost.

Of course this is a compiler not an IDE. So once you have the compiler installed you will need to setup and IDE to use with it.

For the most part I just use a programmer's editor (Programmer's Notepad, but Notepad++, TextPad, or even Vim would work well).

When I use an IDE I tend to use Eclipse. Like NetBeans it is a Java program so it kind of feels like cheating on C++ but both IDE's have good integration with debugging tools and allow for complex projects which are the main features you will probably be looking for (besides a good solid editor).

*You can get a MinGW with a beta GCC 4.7.0 or 4.7.1 but they all seem to be on Russian sites so I don't know what I am looking at and have not been brave enough to try them out. However if you follow the instructions on the nuwen site he discusses how to compile for the newer GCC versions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

actully if your using code blocks you can just switch the compiler directoy to nuwen's MinGW distro. thats what i do :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Yes, most of the MinGW ide's (Code::Blocks, Eclipse, Netbeans, wxDevC++) can all just be reconfigured to use the new distro. Or you can do what I did in the past and just overwrite the MinGW install that they do by default. (Though I suppose some caution should be taken when doing that....)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

lol i don't like that method. it seems cleaner to choose my compiler in the IDE :) i have done it before but it lead to a bit of a headache later

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 04 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

In my experience nothing really comes close to the VC++ IDE. The express version is free and works great. I would recommend this IDE just because of the ease of use and the compiler built right in makes building your projects simple and easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

"compiler built right it" - Not really... VS uses a compiler housed in a dll, and it is the same compiler used by cl.exe (the command line version of the VS2010 compiler). While it is true that VS used the dll version of the compiler rather than making a system call to the command line version it really is not more "built-in" than anyother professional level IDE.

I don't like VS because it does not lend itself very well to the type of C/C++ work I do most (respond to posts here on DIC/ experimenting and playing around).

It is a beast and very well suited for its purposes but not very agile for other purposes such as dealing with many small files each containing a main().

On the other hand Eclipse for example is much better at such things and you can compile/run individual files or whole projects.

My point is just don't be so closed minded. VS is not the end-all-beat-all IDE. It is one and there are many. It is a good one, but it does not meet all needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

Well, now that we are talking about IDEs, make sure you NEVER use Dev-C++ :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

View PostC++ Programmer, on 06 June 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

Well, now that we are talking about IDEs, make sure you NEVER use Dev-C++ :)

I used to use Bloodshed Dev C++ but then I realized that THIS is the only IDE you will ever need.

http://www.programarts.com/

C-Free is the official IDE endorsed by Jawsome. (But I am a complete noob, but yes I like it better then Bloodshed)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +