2 Replies - 509 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Starting Up and Getting Going

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

http://www.theatlant...to-code/239855/

I couldn't really think of a good way to describe this article so I just decided to post it. Also I think this would be the right section to post in. Discuss.

I personally think the guy is right. You cannot always learn to code by reading books and you have to experiment around and pick up your own style.

Anyways great read.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting Up and Getting Going

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting Up and Getting Going

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Ugh. Okay I'll summarize it: Programmers can be self taught why not do other subjects that way too.

More in depth summary:

Eleven year old gets "ORIC-1 Micro Computer" in 1983. Reads manual and writes a program. Eleven year old grew up to start the "project euler".

2000 author gets tired of watching TechTV, and decided to be like the movie "Hackers". Because it's cool.

Author buys "Beginning Visual C++ 6", and burns out because it was dense and did not have enough pictures or popups.

Author repeats cycle because he sees people programming and they are cool. Crashes more. Blaims a wrong brain. Blames people teaching him. Blames structured principles.

Author hates on the AP Comp Sci exame. Hates on OOP.

Digresses about the sorry state of high school mathematics. Determines "real math" is solving open ended problems. Story problems ensue.

Author saw a break through as a freshman in college on his road to "become a hacker".

Declares people can solve problems in three hours.

Explains Project Euler.

Author rides the fence on if programming is better bottom up or top down. Fantasies about Project Euler for other topics like Biology or English.

Declares programming addictive. Declares programming is also just text.

Talks about fantasy vides of Bob Villa.

Quotes a Kasparov comment about computers.

Author extrapolates on AI as a teacher for the future.

Author ends on a cute play on ideas... how author was taught by a program who was programmed by a self taught programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting Up and Getting Going

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 June 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

Ugh. Okay I'll summarize it: Programmers can be self taught why not do other subjects that way too.

More in depth summary:

Eleven year old gets "ORIC-1 Micro Computer" in 1983. Reads manual and writes a program. Eleven year old grew up to start the "project euler".

2000 author gets tired of watching TechTV, and decided to be like the movie "Hackers". Because it's cool.

Author buys "Beginning Visual C++ 6", and burns out because it was dense and did not have enough pictures or popups.

Author repeats cycle because he sees people programming and they are cool. Crashes more. Blaims a wrong brain. Blames people teaching him. Blames structured principles.

Author hates on the AP Comp Sci exame. Hates on OOP.

Digresses about the sorry state of high school mathematics. Determines "real math" is solving open ended problems. Story problems ensue.

Author saw a break through as a freshman in college on his road to "become a hacker".

Declares people can solve problems in three hours.

Explains Project Euler.

Author rides the fence on if programming is better bottom up or top down. Fantasies about Project Euler for other topics like Biology or English.

Declares programming addictive. Declares programming is also just text.

Talks about fantasy vides of Bob Villa.

Quotes a Kasparov comment about computers.

Author extrapolates on AI as a teacher for the future.

Author ends on a cute play on ideas... how author was taught by a program who was programmed by a self taught programmer.

Haha. Your right. Not everything he says is right but I agree with him mainly because you cannot always learn to read by picking up a book. I don't agree with EVERYTHING that he says but I did enjoy the reading.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1