11 Replies - 2173 Views - Last Post: 06 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linux/Unix operating system

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

So I usually am on my laptop, I also have access to a desktop but my girlfriend usually uses it for her school stuff. I wish to install a version of either Linux or Unix on my laptop. First a few questions.

#1: Are Linux and Unix the same thing?
#2: How can I go about this? (websites)
#3: Is there any way to do this without downloading the Linux OS to a CD?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux/Unix operating system

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux/Unix operating system

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

1)
Linux and Unix are not the same thing. They are very similar and run much of the same software, but they are different. One of the differences for an end-user is that there are more user-friendly linux distros than unix distros.

2)
Ubuntu and Fedora are both pretty friendly linux distros. (http://ubuntu.com, http://fedoraproject.org)

3)
There isn't really a way to install linux without downloading an iso. However, you don't need to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can use virtualization software to act like a computer. This lets you install an operating system without having a physical disk (still need an iso image) and also doesn't require you to reformat your hard drive. If you were to physically install a linux distro you would need to shrink your current partition. Finally, using virtualization you don't need to reboot your computer to switch OSes.
http://vmware.com is my choice for virtualization. They have a nice free product called VMWare player. Some other options are http://virtualbox.org and virtualpc

Note that if you decide to use a virtual machine it will be slower than if you did a physical install.

This post has been edited by GWatt: 05 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

+1 Thank you very much you clarified everything I had to ask. I am going to try this virtualization thing because I really do not feel like doing the partitioning on my laptop... Last time I tried I screwed my desktop pc up pretty bad and ended up deleting the Windows OS..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

If you still have windows, don't want to use a cd, and don't want to repartition, you could install Ubuntu with the Wubi installer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

View Postl3v3r.l0ck, on 05 June 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

#1: Are Linux and Unix the same thing?

Linux is a kernel & Unix is an operating system. Thus any Linux distribution can install & compile the Linux kernel, everything else is just software. Unix on the other hand is independent of any other Unix kernel, be it FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, SCO... they are all unique kernels.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

If you don't want to install via CD then you could always install using a flash drive. Ubuntu shows you how to do it on this page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Installing Ubuntu was fairly easy... Thanks guys... Now to learn to navigate this OS...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Did you install it via CD or USB flash drive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

I used the Wubi installer I do believe it is called. Worked great and no problems. I am officially falling in love with Linux OS's, are they all like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

View Postl3v3r.l0ck, on 06 June 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

are they all like this?

In their own way, yes :)

I am currently using Ubuntu and personally prefered Sabayon, but to be honest they are so similar it does not really matter. But compare Ubuntu to Arch and you will see how Linux distros can be very different. Ubuntu is for user-friendliness... it is probably the most mainstream linux distro because you do not have to be a geek to use. Arch on the other hand is great if you know how to use it, as you install only what you need and not anything else (you do not need to install a GUI if you do not want to).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

View Postl3v3r.l0ck, on 06 June 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

I used the Wubi installer I do believe it is called. Worked great and no problems. I am officially falling in love with Linux OS's, are they all like this?

The GUI Ubuntu uses is their own Shell for GNOME Desktop manager. Linux normally run with command line and there is additional layer (X11) that provides environment in which GUI (desktop managers) run. There is a lot of desktop managers most popular GNOME (GNU Object Manipulation Environment), KDE (K Desktop Environment) or Xfce. Answer to your question: They are not called Linux OS`s but Linux distributions and they look similar because they use similar (or same) software (GUI is one of things that are same).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks guys...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1