• +
  • Last »

48 Replies - 2016 Views - Last Post: 07 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Bad luck

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

I seem to have some major bad luck. Over the last week I've had the cold (which was pretty bad by itself), pink eye, and an ear infection.

Worst of all is I have to get better by tomorrow because I'm meeting the woman who runs the main network operations in my school district.

It's pretty much going away, but I still have this constant ringing in my left ear from the ear infection. I've been battling everything with Ibuprofen, cheap ass Walgreen's drugs, and antibiotics from like, a year ago. I feel like House.

So everyone has their bad days, but not everyone has bad weeks. Cheer me up and tell me about your last bad week caused by the gods bad luck.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 05 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bad luck

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bad luck

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

You really should start practicing better hygiene.

Some times will have a ban string of hard drive failure or unrecoverable issues on customers equipment. When it's one it seems like it's four or five. Those are the phone calls that I hate.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

POPULAR

Dude do you not have like a Twitter or something where you could be posting this stuff? I mean seriously!!
Was This Post Helpful? 10
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 05 June 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Dude do you not have like a Twitter or something where you could be posting this stuff? I mean seriously!!

Nope. Don't like it, ignore it.

Twitter is for stalkers and little kids.

Kid: Just got out of the shower
Stalker: Excellent....
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

That sounds more like a creepy uncle than a stalker
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

POPULAR

Actually I use twitter these days to ask questions to other programmers, keep myself updated on breaking tech news and generally getting information straight from the horses mouth. :) It's a really good tool for that purpose.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

Twitter's a legitimate tool if you use it that way. Of course I'm saying this despite having a twitter account I haven't used, pretty much ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

It's an excellent way to keep up with news in technology! Especially if you follow companies like Microsoft and Adobe. They are always tweeting stuff.

This post has been edited by RandomlyKnighted: 05 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

Jesus Christ. Why do you keep posting shit like this when people do everything in their power short of coming to your home and painting SHUT THE FUCK UP on your front door?

This post has been edited by Raynes: 06 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

I stubbed my toe this morning.

I thought about making a thread to complain about it, but I found this one instead.

Thanks creativecoding!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

Raynes I have to disagree, this is actually a purposeful topic & post. The purpose of a forum is to hold discussions, & thus communicate. Please don't feel the obligation to post to a topic.

, the question was actually asked of members to share their experience with bad luck, not what happened to your toes in the morning. Maybe if you stopped drinking your breakfast you wouldn't stumble around so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:10 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 06 June 2011 - 03:55 AM, said:

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 05 June 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Nope. Don't like it, ignore it.

Kid: Just got out of the shower
Stalker: Excellent....

I think that you fall in the latter category... I don't mean to be coarse mate but your posts in the 'Caffeine Lounge' are painfully trivial, surely your school friends would be more interested in these sort of things?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

I accidentally deleted my .minecraft folder yesterday trying to "fix" a bug in a mod I was using (deleted wrong .minecraft) and lost all my worlds/saves, thus ruining hours of work. Luckily though, a friend reminded me that it was probably in my recycling bin. Lulz. So I reinstalled it fresh and pulled my save files over. Whew. That about made my day really bad. ^__^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 05 June 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

You ARE a little kid! And I believe you have some hardcore stalker potential.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Fair warning: Massive wall of text coming.

Worst week I've had in the recent months was just a couple weeks ago when I was sent to Jacksonville, FL to set up a new client with everything they needed to install in our software in the 120 machines that they had purchased. I flew in on Sunday and was scheduled to fly out on Wednesday morning. Everything was going fine on Sunday, got the images created and began imaging computers when I realized that there was a problem that needed to be corrected immediately. After an hour or so to fix the issue and create new images, I once again began to image machines. After a few hours of things going smoothly, I called it a night and retired to the hotel.

Monday: I showed up at the warehouse where all of this was happening, and began where I left off the night before. A few hours of imaging later and I thought everything was going smoothly, but suddenly I get a call from someone at my company... There was an issue with the software that was released and new changes needed to be made once again. So after almost 12 hours of work, everything I had done to that point was for naught. Readjusted the image and began the imaging process AGAIN. Finished up the day imaging computers and attempting to train the morons that these people call their employees on how to image a computer.

Tuesday: Just one more day and I'll be able to get out of here. Another several hours of imaging computers and continuing in my futile attempts to train, and around lunchtime I decided to take a walk over to where they were actually installing the computers into the cabinets they had bought. Nobody had even bothered to plug everything in and make sure things were working properly. I began testing individual machines with their printers, bill acceptors, etc. and things are going great until I get to one of the machines that were going to act as a miniserver. It's about 4pm and suddenly we find a machine that the guys in the back had apparently grabbed from my incomplete pile up front and put it inside a cabinet. Needless to say, since it was "incomplete", it didn't work properly. Well, they called their boss because they had 1 computer that didn't work properly, and suddenly the owner began to panic because apparently they were under a deadline to get everything finished by the following Monday. My flight was pushed back to Thursday night. At this point, I was upset that I wasn't going home when I was supposed to go, and after a couple more hours of work I once again retired to my hotel room in an attempt to get away from the frustrations of the day.

Wednesday: I showed up at about 7am and resumed working when I got a phone call from the boss who wanted me to get everyone together in his office and have a meeting on "Why things were taking so long." During this meeting, the guys who work for this company began to explain how I was unprepared to perform the job, although I have already done this numerous times without issue. At this point, I spoke up and explained to the owner of this company that the real problem was the fact that in order to save a few dollars, this company decided to use some bill acceptors that our software was not compatible with, and so a new build of our software was rushed out the door to make the customer happy and there wasn't time for proper testing. After about an hour of going back and forth about the issues, we came to the conclusion that my time would best be spent setting everything up in the warehouse and making sure each computer worked properly together to communicate across the network with the miniserver. So after a few hours of that, the boss of this company began loading trucks with cabinets including machines that had not been tested and began shipping them off to sites and told me I was now supposed to go to these sites and set them up there and make sure everything worked. Considering this was going to take a lot more time for me to get it done, I suggested that I stay at the warehouse and set up mock sites to ensure that everything was working smoothly, but he thought that would've been a waste of my time or something and convinced my boss that I needed to be in the field with one of his guys who could barely even locate the power button on a computer. I said fine and went ahead out with this guy and quickly realized that once a very small problem arose, like the fact that drivers for a USB-Seriel adapter wasn't being recognized on a single machine, that the guy they had sent me out with was completely uninterested in troubleshooting and all he wanted to do was stand around and chat with other people about how our software wasn't working. After several frustrating hours of this crap, it was time to go back to the hotel again.

Thursday: Thursday was more of the same frustrations that I had experienced Wednesday, and after nearly a full day of dealing with a moron who refused to troubleshoot and obviously wanted nothing to do with actually working, to avoid blowing up at this guy and losing my professionalism, I called it a day a little early. Oh yea, and once I left, I found out that my flight had once again been changed and I was now not leaving this hell-hole until Saturday morning. I left the site not even knowing where I was supposed to be staying that night and after 45 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to contact people at my company to figure this out, I decided to just drive to the hotel that I had been staying at in the hopes that I was still staying there and they just forgot to mention it. On my way over to the hotel, I got a call from a guy, who I had never head of, with a company, that I had never heard of, and apparently, I was supposed to be working with this company as well while I was in Jacksonville and nobody at my company bothered to mention anything to me about it. After a couple hours on the phone trying to figure out wtf I was supposed to be doing, I finally got some answers from the president of my company and found out that I was indeed supposed to stay at the same hotel and work with this company that I had never heard of...

Friday: Met with the people from the mystery company and explained the entire process to them and they divulged to me that the deadline for the following Monday that was the reason that I was kept there for so long had been pushed back by a few weeks... At this point, I wanted to stab someone but I had to retain my professionalism since I was representing my company and not just myself. This new company was going to go with a bill acceptor that our software was designed to work with and once they got their computers, they would ship a couple of them to our office so that we could create an image there. This mystery company also had competent techs who knew what they were doing. However, here I am still forced to train monkeys to set up sites, configure routers, change COM ports for devices, image computers, and adjust settings in the BIOS of each computer they had purchased. Another frustrating day of training 2 people to do the exact same thing at least 5 times, even though I had already trained them 3 times before on previous days. I was once again pushed into the field to ensure that machines that I had not signed off on that were pushed out the back door onto trucks and delivered to random bars all over the Jacksonville area were working properly. Another day had come to an end, and I was so happy to finally be finished with this nightmare of an install.

Saturday: Caught my flight on time, and even arrived at the airport 2+ hours early so that I could not be called back by this company because they had an issue that they could not resolve.

Now that a couple weeks have passed since then, I still receive calls here at work every day from this company because they have a computer that doesn't work properly and after walking them through the processes that I had trained their people to perform 8 times while I was there, the computers magically worked! Imagine that! The only good thing that came from this nightmare was the fact that I got paid for 63 hours, all my food was paid for, and the president of the company thanked me for all of my hard work, which is unlike him.

TL;DR version for you people who can't be bothered to read a relevant post in a thread:
Nightmarish work week that was only supposed to be 3 days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »