1 Replies - 673 Views - Last Post: 06 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Applying data structures and sorting in the field of web development

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

I'm finishing up a data structures and algorithms course and I'm hoping to become a web developer (and I have no intentions on becoming a computer science guru).

I was just wondering how much of the information that was presented to me is necessary to know to be successful in the field and how much of it I shouldn't stress about? Now that the class is over I want to focus on practicing what I will need to know most for most web development jobs.

Here is what was covered in the class:

Bubble sort
Insertion sort
Selection sort
Mergesort
Quicksort
Stack
Queue
Linked List
Binary Trees
Binary Search Trees
Balanced Binary Tree
AVL Trees
Splay Trees
Red-Black trees
Priority Queues
Hashing
Adjacency Linked Lists
Adjacency matrices
Graph Traversals (Depth First Search, Breadth First Search)
Minimum Spanning Trees (Kruskal's algorithm, Prim's algorithm)
Directed Graph (Digraph)
Topological sort

Also, out of those that you recommend I know which ones are accessed through libraries/packages and which ones do I have to know how to implement on my own? For example, for a homework assignment we created a binary tree using a tree and node class, now that I know how this works is really necessary to manually code it in the real world?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Applying data structures and sorting in the field of web development

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Applying data structures and sorting in the field of web development

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Moved to Web Development.

It's good to have a basic understanding of the sorting algorithms, as you may find yourself implementing some of their techniques (ie., the "merge" part of mergesort, the partitioning in quicksort, etc.), as well as a basic overview of the more elementary data structures like Linked Lists, Stacks, Queues, Priority Queues. Most web development languages come with some hashing functionality, but it's good to have an understanding of things like collisions and perfect hashing. Much beyond that, you probably won't need any of the advanced data structures for web development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1