6 Replies - 618 Views - Last Post: 07 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Adding a image gallery to my site.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

I am looking to ad a photo gallery to my site that I making for a small floral design company. I would like it to have a back end so they can upload pictures and they will be displayed on the page. I do not have enough experience with a server side language to code this myself so I have been looking into CMS's to assist me here. I have never used a cms before and have no idea if I can integrate a cms into a page of my site. I was looking into wordpress and using the NextGen gallery plug in but really have no idea where to start with that. Would I be able to use wordpress on just one page of my site? I've read a little about using your own templates and to my knowledge you only need to have a content area clarified in the css and "the loop" php put in. If anyone could offer assistance or an easier route I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Adding a image gallery to my site.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Adding a image gallery to my site.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Well, if you were to use WordPress, you would have to make the gallery a page, and probably make a custom theme, to match your design. That would require knowledge of PHP, CSS, and HTML unless you got a template, but even then it may still be confusing for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

I can handle the markup and css but not 100% sure about the php. Would there be any other routes I could take?

This post has been edited by D.Mulroy: 07 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

There are probably image gallery plugins for Wordpress you could use.

Or you could make your own using a mixture of PHP, Javascript, and HTML/CSS. It wouldn't be that hard, you'd just have to follow the Wordpress API.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

@EnV with wordpress themes, do I need to have a header/sidebar/content/footer areas or can I just declare the content area and skip the others? Also I wouldn't know how to write the loop(looking at this page http://codex.wordpre...p#Loop_Examples ) because i'm not going to have any posts just an image gallery shortcode.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

I'm not really an expert with making a WordPress theme. I did get a book on it from Smashing Magazine (I'm learning how to do it so I can redesign http://terryjune.me/ )

Let's say you have the following:
header.php
footer.php
sidebar.php
index.php

For header you would start out the document and use some WordPress Template tags, you'll use template tags in header, footer, sidebar, and index.php, which is something you'll need to look up on the WordPress Codex. The index could look like:

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="content">
		    <?php get_template_part('loop', 'index'); ?>
		</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
<?php get_footer(); ?>

You could also take a look at the Twenty Ten or Twenty Eleven themes and see how they do things. They are well commented and are great to practice with if you're trying to learn how to make a child theme.

Here is a link to the book I got.

You probably could just post the code all into the index file and forget the get_file() function, but that would be making the page huge and can get hard to read especially if you don't know PHP. I'm not positive if you can put them in one file though, so don't take that to heart.

The book I got shows you how to make a static theme, which has to do with your last sentence.

View PostNeverPool, on 07 June 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

Or you could make your own using a mixture of PHP, Javascript, and HTML/CSS. It wouldn't be that hard, you'd just have to follow the Wordpress API.

D.Mulroy said:

I do not have enough experience with a server side language to code this myself

I doubt the documentation would be much help if he doesn't really know the language he would make it in, yet.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 07 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

View PostEnvXOwner, on 07 June 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

View PostNeverPool, on 07 June 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

D.Mulroy said:

I do not have enough experience with a server side language to code this myself

I doubt the documentation would be much help if he doesn't really know the language he would make it in, yet.

It could still be done in Javascript and HTML/CSS. PHP could just be used to store the image links in an array or some such thing (even a database, if you'd like). There are even some CSS only image galleries out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1