53 Replies - 4701 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Texting at the Alamo Drafthouse

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

POPULAR

This is a delightful story.

So this woman is texting on her phone during a movie, & she is kicked out, asked to leave. She phoned in a complaint to the theater, & they used her complaint as a PSA about not texting in their theater.

I wish more movie theaters upheld the rules like this. It's far too often that I've been to a movie & kids are throwing shit, being loud & obnoxious, talking on their cell phone.

The movies are expensive. So for me to spend on the money (for two), get popcorn, & have to put up with teenagers being rude, it's no wonder that the movie theater experience is a dying past-time. Furthermore, who spends this kind of money to go screw-off? If I'm forking over $20-$30 for a two hour movie, I'm shutting my phone off because I don't want to be bothered.

What are some of the worst experiences you've seen at a theater? Were they handled?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 10
  • +

Replies To: Texting at the Alamo Drafthouse

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Texting at the Alamo Drafthouse

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

I havent had many bad experiences the only one that really got to me was in high school me and my gf went to go see the late showing of Smokin Aces and we were both really looking forward to it. There were only 7 people in the whole audience 2 down by the front, me and the gf in the middle and then three people about my age at the time(17) in the back. About 30 minutes in they started throwing skittle, peanuts and some other types of candy, rolling empty soda cans down the floor and I ignored most of it. My gf got hit in the head by a piece of candy so I took my m&ms and emptied them into my hand and stodd up and just throw them all up the back. Apparently I got someone pretty good, I heard a couple ow's, few cusswords and then the three got up and left.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:48 AM

I've never really had any problems in movie theaters before, though one of my worst experiences was when they played the wrong movie in one, and everyone was so mad that they all (almost all) got up, raged, then asked to see the manager. We ended up seeing the same movie (Beowulf) twice for free. Felt good man.

Also, why are you paying 30$ for movie tickets? I can imagine if there are 2 or 3 of you, but I only pay like 11-15$ for mine, depending if I see it in 3D or not.

Edit: Just saw this video on the morning news, why this is news worthy I don't know, but it was there =/

This post has been edited by NeverPool: 08 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

I went and seen Dark Knight with my oldest son, the good theaters at Easton. This ladies phone kept ringing, she answered it. She was shhhsd. she did it again and again, finally someone spoke up and told her to shut the fuck up or leave. Her boyfriend didn't like that and got all testy. About then 20 people stood up to whip his ass. He and his fat baby momma left.

Point being that was one of the few times the people banned together to get those annoying assholes out of the theater so us movie-goers can enjoy our $20 investment.

On another note it never fails, I find a great seat, segregated from society and right before the show starts 1 time a family of kids filling an entire row sat right behind me. This was a fast and furious movie on a school night. these kids were 10 at oldest. Other times it is teenagers who think I give two fucks about their life.

I rarely go to movies now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:03 AM

Worst time was at a cheapie theater when a group of 5-7 about 25+ years old were marginally drunk at the theater. Lots of noise. Bothering 3 rows all around them. Everyone kept telling them to shut up. One guy got confrontational, and his buddies backing him up.

So funny when an off-duty cop said "I've had enough", showed his badge and arrested them all on the spot. :bananaman:

---

But at our current location in Galveston there hasn't been much issue. The worst here is an old couple behind us. The woman kept asking the man "What did he say?" "Who is that?" We asked them either hush or move. They moved.

That was for Thor at $5.50 per matinee ticket for 3D. I love matinee pricing. Any more we refuse to pay $8-$15 per ticket. No reason for that. I have a 46" screen with 5.1 surround at home.

That's the other reason for the decline of the theater industry: Modern technology makes it affordable to have a home theater. You can get a 45" 3D for less that $2k from Best Buy, for Pete's sake. Now that Toshiba has a 3D LCD that doesn't require glasses, its only a matter of a few years before it will be affordable for home use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

I would never invest in a 3D television. I do have a 42" LED TV though and agree I quite enjoy watching movies on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

There were times when I thought that she was Eric Cartman. It reminded me of him telling everyone else to respect his authoritah.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

All I know is, I took the family to the movies weekend before last and I dropped $70+ for 4 tickets, cokes and popcorn. Tickets alone were $43. We get into the theatre...there's maybe 8-10 other people in there. Movie previews start, we're all settled in, acres of empty seats around us...and this dude and his wife/girlfriend roll in during the movie intro and SIT RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. We end up having to get up and move down the row and my wife (who isn't all that subtle) ends up "accidentally" kicking the back of the woman's seat. Chick turns around with this completely "WTF-was-that-for" look on her face. I seriously believe she had no clue why we were getting up to move seats.

I see maybe 2-3 movies per year...and it's always with the kids as a treat. I simply won't pay to see something today for $40 that I can see 3-4 months from now for $1 on my HDTV at home where I don't have to put up with people I'm not related to interrupting the movie. That plus when you gotta take a leak...you don't automagically miss the most important scene in the movie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

Theaters need to start placing plain clothes movie marshals in every movie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

POPULAR

View Postcodeprada, on 08 June 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

Theaters need to start placing plain clothes movie marshals assassins in every movie.

FTFY
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:18 AM

Took the kids to see Shrek the Third on opening night. In the row behind us was a woman with five kids - most of them preschoolers, the youngest was a baby on her lap.

One kid cried the entire time because she was afraid of the dark, one kid kicked the back of my chair for an hour and a half, one kid put her half-chewed piece of candy in my kid's hair, and the baby puked down my back.

Most of the seething hatred I was feeling by the end could have been alleviated had the mother offered up a simple, "I'm sorry," but instead she glared at me like it was MY kids causing the problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

@Craig328 - 1. your rep is 328 as is your username. just sayin.... 2. Isn't it funny how that always ends up being the case, it never fails theater could be empty and sure enough there are always two douchebags who find the seat right in front of you.

The only place you are truly safe front row and center. Nothing like a stiff neck to compliment your $50 investment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

I've never had any major issues with people in theaters, to be honest. Usually that would place one in the "then you're the problem" category, but I guess I've just been extremely lucky to avoid chronic talkers and call receivers.

Most of my bad experiences have been related to poor seating, theater staff mishaps, or just awful movie selection.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

View PostCraig328, on 08 June 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

View Postcodeprada, on 08 June 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

Theaters need to start placing plain clothes movie marshals assassins in every movie.

FTFY

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

Actually, once upon a time, I left a theatre and asked for and got a refund because the only seats left were front row all the way on the side. I apologized to the manager for asking but he said something along the lines of "I can't blame you...nobody should pay for a hurt neck".

Fun fact: my very first job was as a theatre usher. The dude who tears tickets, picks up the trash and crap between shows and has to ask unruly people to leave. I've also never worn a bowtie since then. Not even for my wedding tuxedo. Gotta honor the solemn pledges you make to yerself.

View Postxclite, on 08 June 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

I've never had any major issues with people in theaters, to be honest. Usually that would place one in the "then you're the problem" category, but I guess I've just been extremely lucky to avoid chronic talkers and call receivers.

Most of my bad experiences have been related to poor seating, theater staff mishaps, or just awful movie selection.

Well, to be fair, while I've never been to one...I don't see pr0n theatres as having the rowdy sort anyhow. So it could be that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »