14 Replies - 9314 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Job Searching While Still Employed

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

Currently in the process of job searching while i am still employed. I had received an informal offer from someone that was substantially more money then i make now, but also a lot longer commute. The job was mine if i want it but, the commute and other factors are keeping me from taking it.

This naturally has spiked my curiosity and kicked me into gear with job searching.

It was suggested that i create a profile on monster and post my resume there for companies to see and be able to contact me. Is this acceptable while still employed? Part of me feels it's ok but part of me feels that it's not ok.

So I'd like to get a discussion going for all of us hunting for jobs while we are still employed. Any advice, personal stories, and input is greatly appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: Job Searching While Still Employed

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job Searching While Still Employed

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

I feel your pain. I never leave a job unless I'm forced out (as I recently was), but I think there's a lot of truth to the maxim that it's easier to get a job when you already have one than otherwise. Much of that probably centers around the having the attitude of "I NEED this job", versus the attitude "I can take this new job if it's a good offer and interesting work, or I can just chalk it up to more interviewing experience".

You can post your resume on Monster "anonymously" -- which I did even though I am in an active job search -- and people can contact you through Monster's remailer. They don't know who you are unless you respond. Unfortunately Monster also doesn't seem to provide you with any indication what an anonymous resume reveals about you, which seems a little concerning in your case.

If you do go that route, prepare to be bombarded with headhunters!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

I guess part of my concern is what if my current employer sees my resume on Monster?

This is where part of me links it's ok and the other part of me is not sure about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

Just be careful, it turned out to be a blessing for me when my employer found I was actively looking. They let me go and 2 weeks later I was making double my old salary.

Point is Monster will attract every headhunter on the planet. My methods were sending responses out on Craigslist to every legit looking employer. Headhunters troll there as well but you have control on who sees what. I have never been a fan of monster - our city paper even uses them and I hate it.

Dice is a good one, but same problems.

http://indeed.com is a nice little search engine that gets you the good jobs. Basically do the work yourself and that way you control who sees what. Chances are using Dice, Monster you will be found by your employer if they use those methods when hiring. Or use an alias name :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

It's not wrong to look for a job while still being employed. No one wants to leave or be forced to leave a job and not have another one already waiting for you. Times are hard, who knows how long you can be unemployed for. Here in my country we never leave a job unless we've been accepted to another. You must also make sure you're not violating contracts and so forth. As of posting your resume on Monster and your employer sees it....well they can either take it as an offense or they realize that like them you're trying to advance yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:10 AM

I never thought to look on Craigslist, that's a good idea.

I've never had any experience with head hunters...I started my current job from an internship and as soon as a graduated school i started full time the next day.

So I haven't had any experience with head hunters. What's their deal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

As has been said, you might want to be careful before posting a "looking for job" on monster or something like that. If your employer is currently searching for new employees as well there's a good chance he'll notice and that can backfire pretty badly.

Depending on how your getting along with your boss, you might go and talk to him about the offer you received, though. That's definetly the honest thing to do and I'm pretty sure if I had something like that and went to my boss with it he'd either meet the offer or at least be cool with me considering it. It's trying to be sneaky that leaves a bad aftertaste. Just my 2 cents, though, and definetly depends on the boss.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

I use Dice, Monster and sometimes Craigslist and have never had a current employer come across it that I know of. However, jjsaw5 if you'd be making substantially more even though it's a longer commute it might be worth it to take it depending on what you're looking for. Even though it's a longer drive you might be happier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:10 AM

View PostNightfish, on 09 June 2011 - 02:42 AM, said:

As has been said, you might want to be careful before posting a "looking for job" on monster or something like that. If your employer is currently searching for new employees as well there's a good chance he'll notice and that can backfire pretty badly.

Depending on how your getting along with your boss, you might go and talk to him about the offer you received, though. That's definetly the honest thing to do and I'm pretty sure if I had something like that and went to my boss with it he'd either meet the offer or at least be cool with me considering it. It's trying to be sneaky that leaves a bad aftertaste. Just my 2 cents, though, and definetly depends on the boss.

This is an excellent point. I am close with my boss and he is pretty cool so maybe i will talk to him about it. Probably not the best idea to make the resume public as you all have brought up. Thank you for all the great advice!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

Headhunters can be both good and bad. They get commissions and a cut of what you are making, you can take a contracting job making a lot more than you would full time and it is usually a good chance to get your foot in the door.

My last 2 jobs including the one I am at were from recruiters. A lot of them will promise you the world, most of them are completely clueless when it comes to technology. I had one contact me about Javascript opportunity and she then went on to quiz me on Java. I had to spend the next 10 minutes on the phone explaining the difference to her.

I also had a recruiter try to get me a job as a BA because I used to work with them before they figured I could kinda fudge my resume and my experiences to make it sound like I am more well versed in that area. I had to literally argue with them to tell them NO! Those examples are of the bad, the good ones will take your skillset and take the time to understand your abilities and not put you in a situation where you are doing something you are not versed in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:45 AM

I've posted my resume anonymously before. I changed the text on my online resume a little bit and made the names of the last two employers anonymous. But it's still possible that someone could have connected me to it if they were really paying attention. It really comes down to risk vs reward and what you feel comfortable with.

Let me caution you about talking to your current boss about your offer. Be careful in how you approach it because it can be perceived as a threat and it also tips your boss off to the fact that you have been looking for another job which, in their minds, can call your loyalty into question. Now, there is no real loyalty. Many companies will let people go at the drop of a hat if it helps their bottom line. But while you're in the corporate rat race you have to play the game and at least pretend there is loyalty. So, maybe the best approach is to start of by just asking for a raise based on reasons why you think you deserve it. If you do decide to use the other offer try to spin it in a way that doesn't make you sound like you're looking to get out. In my experience, though, you're much more likely to get a larger pay increase by moving to a new job and using multiple offers as leverage against each other.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

I think that there is a significant risk of your current employer potentially finding your resume listing on a website like Monster, although isn't that pretty ominous if they are? Regardless I'd use a pseudonym. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Tips for next time:

1. leave your resume out there when you get your next job. This way it will be available should you start searching again and if your employer finds it you can just tell them that it's been there and you forgot to take it down.

2. start working on your network, if you haven't already. This way you won't have to rely on job boards and can just call around to see if any of your contacts has any interesting projects going on. The likelihood is that you won't even have to make any calls. They'll probably call/email you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 10 June 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

I've posted my resume anonymously before. I changed the text on my online resume a little bit and made the names of the last two employers anonymous. But it's still possible that someone could have connected me to it if they were really paying attention. It really comes down to risk vs reward and what you feel comfortable with.

Let me caution you about talking to your current boss about your offer. Be careful in how you approach it because it can be perceived as a threat and it also tips your boss off to the fact that you have been looking for another job which, in their minds, can call your loyalty into question. Now, there is no real loyalty. Many companies will let people go at the drop of a hat if it helps their bottom line. But while you're in the corporate rat race you have to play the game and at least pretend there is loyalty. So, maybe the best approach is to start of by just asking for a raise based on reasons why you think you deserve it. If you do decide to use the other offer try to spin it in a way that doesn't make you sound like you're looking to get out. In my experience, though, you're much more likely to get a larger pay increase by moving to a new job and using multiple offers as leverage against each other.

Thanks! This was extremely helpful along with all of the other good information that people are giving.

I have a few things lined up interview wise by doing what you also suggested, networking. I spoke to a few close friend in the IT community around where i live, gave them my resume and got a couple calls and things are going in the right direction.

I agree, i think it is best to not say anything to my boss. I can see that going in the wrong direction even though I feel we are pretty close and he is a good guy.

Thanks again to all who provided feedback and advice it was very helpful!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

I too am in a similar sort of predicament. I was also hired right after finishing an internship through my school so my current employer is the only IT related one I have had.

My reasons for wanting a change is more about wanting to broaden my skill set rather than make more money(although that would be nice too). I feel like learning new things, especially when you are new to a field, is important in this industry and I feel I haven't been learning much lately.

The company I work for is very small, my boss and I get along fairly well. In fact I think there is a reasonable chance that even if I leave my boss would let me do some part-time freelance work on the project I am involved in.

I too have been thinking about approaching my boss and telling him that I am going to start looking elsewhere. If I decide not to tell him that begs the next question what do I do if offered a job? Shouldn't I give my boss a fair bit of notice before leaving? I don't want to just come in on a Monday and say I will be gone after this week.. they have been good to me there and it feels wrong to do that. Decisions decisions :(

Sheesh, sorry about going on a bit of a rant there, but this topic struck a cord with me as I have been struggling with this same issue for a month or so. Good luck jjsaw5, I hope things work out for you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1