• +

28 Replies - 4722 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

#16 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DIC University

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

Absolutely Matt... I was thinking it's own forum like the 52 Weeks of Code.

The major reason the 52 WoC went downhill is b/c the team wasn't able to keep up every week after a while with new challenges. I can definitely see this idea starting out strong. It depends a lot on those organizing these classes the momentum they will continue with, since I don't think participation will be a huge issue (for the more popular languages and technologies).

If you all want to organize something your own classes, you're welcome to open your own threads in Share Your Project and see what comes of it. If you see this taking off, we can always revisit expanding the scope later. I do know that a lot of the team wouldn't have the time to teach such a class; I know I wouldn't. So I'm not sure how much involvement you're going to have from the Experts/Mentors, as I'm sure many of them are in similar situations, in terms of being busy.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

I'll offer any help I possibly can, but unfortunately, my time is limited so I'm afraid I won't be able to give much other than a few posts here and there. I agree with Mac, though. If there are enough people interested in getting this started, I'd love to see something put together and hopefully become very popular. It could be another way to drive more traffic to the site as well, but as mentioned before the majority of the experts/mods/forum leaders/etc. might not have the time to devote to it in any substantial amount.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

I guess the easiest way to avoid people having to spend too much time on this and making it a chore versus an improvement or benefit to the community is involvement on all levels. Maybe I can only post a lesson plan for this week I will do a little write-up/presentation and then offer up an assignment or two based off of what was discussed.

Not much different than the tutorials I guess, however now I would like for people to discuss more in depth than the tutorials and offer insight and discussion. Then maybe the following week someone else can expand upon what was taught the previous week or whenever - no time commitments, hopefully it wouldn't lapse too long and then rinse and repeat.

So hopefully within a week I can put one together in HTML/CSS i'll write it like a tutorial with screenshots. At the end I will suggest an assignment or two. I will post my solution and others can share their solutions as well and hopefully this can turn in to something or maybe catch on in other forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, Nykc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

Thinking about this some more, would you rather post your tutorial/lesson plan in the tutorials section or Share Your Project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

@Mac - Yeah actually I think that would be a better starting point versus the Share your project forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

I think this is a great idea but can absolutely foresee some issues. I think hours for instructors would be a major bottleneck, maintaining and creating lesson plans, answering, and grading submissions would be extremely time consuming and I could see instructors very kindly offering their time, find themselves overwhelmed and getting burned out.

One thing that could offset this, and that has already been mentioned, is making these paid services, thus the instructor is financially compensated for their time. But, again as already mentioned, this could go against the main premise of the site.

There is no doubt that this community has members with skill enough to teach courses in pretty much anything programming/webdev related but whether or not they have the time is the real problem.

I would love to participate in something like this as a student, it would be a great way to brush up on skills and learn new things and do so within a community I enjoy. I love the idea but just don't know if it would be feasible.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

I agree that having something more then just tutorials and snippets would be great. Many people come to the forums unsure of how to start, or what to do. They are then given references to books and suggestions, and told to go at it with the knowledge that they can come back with code and get questions answered. What I've seen some places do, and what I really like and learn best from is something that builds upon itself. Maybe If someone once a week created a lesson video that went over certain concepts, and then posted up an assignment that directly related to what was taught in the video, people could then take that assignment, attempt it based off what they learned in the video, and then post it to the appropriate forum section (Maybe a sub forum for Video Lessions) where they would be critiqued and assisted. This would not add much on to the community because we already have a large base of people doing tutorials and snippets.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

This is a very nice idea, I would love to help on web development courses :). Maybe this should be a job of the forum leaders, have them organize the classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 08 June 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

DIC has a video tutorials feed on Vimeo. Since a lot of OCW classes are taught this way, perhaps video is a good way to expand on it, with a corresponding thread for Q&A. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm going to be doing more of those, and don't worry, they won't suck anymore.

EDIT :: Sorry for the double post, I thought that they would merge :/.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 09 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

Yea that's a little odd how your post disappeared. For languages I'm serious about I might go and pick up a book like I did for java. But after I got that book, I found the online tutorials and DIC much more helpful. The books that I really read and they actually helped a lot were my first books on C#. But now I can learn from online well because I have a basic concept of programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'm sure everyone's heard of KhanAcademy (if you haven't then check it out, it's amazing!). Taking a page out of this guy's book seems like a great idea to me. Here's why:

1) Short videos, five to seven minutes in length, that cover a specific topic would be of great help. It would kind of be like the tutorial section we already have, except there would be videos. Personally I would gain more from 5-7 minutes of someone talking than I would from 5-7 minutes of reading a tutorial.

2) The exercises and practice problems offered at KhanAcademy might be a bit overkill for our purposes. However, if someone wanted to create an app that allowed the tutorial author to input questions and answers then this would be great! The big problem I see with this is that there is usually about 5 ways to accomplish the same programming task.

3) It provides a tremendous programming challenge for anyone willing to step up and help make this happen!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

This might be a moot point, but, the site already has a lot of ways that people can share their work, and now I think that there is a wiki in development, and now there is serious thought going into this. As much as I like to help others learn, and I enjoy LOVE Learning, I would hate to see the site get spread out and diluted over several different fascias, even though these tasks are being undertaken with the best of intentions. Just my 2c.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

Hello,

Here is my humble opinion on this really interesting proposal:
1. I believe that everybody learns alone. Proof: we can't learn to swim until we try ourselves. Simplified but very spectacular, as for me.
2. What could be obtained from the more experienced others - is critics. I mean the constructive critics which shows us how good are we at swimming and where extra efforts needed.

Proposal: if there would be a test-like gadget here on site (like Brainbench or Automated certification at vWorker) - everybody can evaluate how good is he/she. And aforementioned available experts could guarantee the adequate content of tests. This way there is no need to spend time on a regular basis. So everyone benefits here. Experts can provide knowledge and "students" can pass exams after spending some time alone, learning the subject and practicing.

Site-wide score table for each participant of the test could serve as an additional source of motivation.

Regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +