What Do the Highest-Paid Programmers Make?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 13922 Views - Last Post: 17 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Do the Highest-Paid Programmers Make?

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hi everyone,
Recently found this article of net about what highest paid programmers make...

What is the highest pay you or your colleagues paid? Please post in reply..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Do the Highest-Paid Programmers Make?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What Do the Highest-Paid Programmers Make?

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

I am final year IT(B.Tech) student expecting I will get job in next year with pay 360000-480000 Indian rupees.. In American dollars 8000-10600...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

View PostSiva7891, on 11 June 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

I am final year IT(B.Tech) student expecting I will get job in next year with pay 360000-480000 Indian rupees.. In American dollars 8000-10600...

The amount that you're actually being paid is relative to the cost of living in your area; which almost makes comparisons entirely meaningless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

View PostRetardedGenius, on 11 June 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostSiva7891, on 11 June 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

The amount that you're actually being paid is relative to the cost of living in your area; which almost makes comparisons entirely meaningless.

But I can compare with anyone from my area know..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

POPULAR

Never look at the numbers. If they are even true, they represent a certain group of people, in a certain part of the world, doing a certain job, at a particular moment in time. Chances that this will match your real world experience is pretty low.

I am a DBA in New Jersey ( not the mythical $250K guy, alas. ) Once, in an Oracle training class, the instructor put one of these kind of numbers on the board, saying we should be making this. There was silence, sideways glances, and then laughter. In the instructor's experience, no one ever came close to the magic high water marks. Keep in mind, I've yet to take an Oracle class where most of the students don't work for Fortune 500 companies, big pharma, that kind of thing. If these guys aren't making the big bucks, I can't imagine who is.

If you do make the astronomical numbers, you're probably a private consultant and can knock off a good chunk of that to expenses, insurance, you own retirement plan, taxed four times a year ( hate that), etc. The really big numbers often come from contracts, which are not steady work.

If you're a programmer, and you get to program, be happing you're doing something you enjoy. If you don't suck at it, people will pay you for it; probably more than the janitor and less than the CFO. If you want the really big paycheck, you have to be a suit and you really don't get to program.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

@baavgai I have question I heard some news that government agencies like CIA, NSA etc and big financial organization pays big amount.. Is it real or another lie in web2.0. I am asking out of curiosity..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Federal security and military agencies are force unto themselves. They employ normal programmers, like any business, but you're probably thinking of the jobs that require security clearance. Here, it usually helps to be ex military, but it's not required.

Some of those jobs certainly sound interesting, but I can't attest to what such positions pay. Again, special contractors can make significantly more than regular employees, but lack the usual employee benefits. I know one guy who works for national security who's not allowed to miss work. He's actually allowed to hail police cars and make them take him to sites if the situation warrants it. He doesn't seem exceptionally wealthy, but you never know.

I knew a NASA contractor, recently laid off, who sat at the same desk for years. During those years, he changed employers many times, but never moved his stuff. Each new sub contractor who got the bid would just hire him again for what he'd always been doing. He was a Cisco router guy, but liked to call himself a rocket scientist.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 11 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your reply baavgai
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

I am always amused when I read a distinction between a "computer programmer" and a "software developer" in those articles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

View PostKYA, on 11 June 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I am always amused when I read a distinction between a "computer programmer" and a "software developer" in those articles.

Why you are getting amused? Both are distinct terms know..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

POPULAR

Programmer and Developer are fundamentally interchangeable. However, some business cultures will make odd ball distinctions between the two. Found a nice post here.

You also see Programmer/Analyst as one term, mostly in financials. Software Engineer is used, but can get you into trouble with other "Engineer" style groups. Software Architect is a personal favorite, like you're building a bloody cathedral or something.

There is sometimes a business hierarchy of titles, where Programmer is first rung. Then Application Developer, implying they work on a larger part of the project. Senior Developer, Lead Developer, and sometimes Project Manager are all basically the same thing.

Titles are strange. Sometimes they have meaning, often they just have perceived value. Companies make them up, because they're free. For instance, there are no "garbage men" anymore, they're all Sanitation Engineers. A rose by any other name...
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

I know a couple doing about $150k-$160k per year if you're referring to a pure programming position and a few Director of Engineering guys in the $250k range. Obviously for execs/founders of companies, much higher.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 11 June 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

He was a Cisco router guy, but liked to call himself a rocket scientist.

**Laughing out loud**
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

A guy that I used to work with got a job making $70K, which is great money in the market he is in, where cost of living is pretty low. I make WAY LESS than that.

You certainly don't become a programmer/developer for the money and fame. You do it because you enjoy it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

i think the definition of 'making good money' changes quite drastically between different people and different times in the same person's life.

i personally define 'making good money' as being able to afford a mortgage for a 3 bedroom, 2 floor house all by yourself(including basic living costs - not including car payments of any sort).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +