What Do the Highest-Paid Programmers Make?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 13919 Views - Last Post: 17 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What Do the Highest-Paid Programmers Make?

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 13 June 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

You certainly don't become a programmer/developer for the money and fame. You do it because you enjoy it.

I agree with you eclipsed4utoo... We can't do a job without loving it..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:10 AM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 13 June 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

You certainly don't become a programmer/developer for the money and fame. You do it because you enjoy it.

Not always true. I know a fair number of guys that got into for money or fame (or both), made their money, and stopped programming actively afterwards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:43 AM

True. We don't consider those programmers. More like programming tourists. The kind that leave trash around for the locals to clean up.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 14 June 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

True. We don't consider those programmers. More like programming tourists. The kind that leave trash around for the locals to clean up.

I loved, and can relate to your post so much that it made me want to log in just so I could up vote your post.
I have had to clean up behind a few bad programmers and let me tell you it's no picnic!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 11 June 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

If you do make the astronomical numbers, you're probably a private consultant and can knock off a good chunk of that to expenses, insurance, you own retirement plan, taxed four times a year ( hate that), etc. The really big numbers often come from contracts, which are not steady work.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. If you are a small operation and work from a home office or work at a client site in your city your expenses are negligible. Also being taxed 4 times per year is called quarterly taxes. It's not like you get four times the tax, but you just split it up into four estimated payments of what you you'd owe at the end of the year because the IRS wants its money sooner. No - the truth is you can make a sh*t-ton more money being an independent consultant than an employee of X corporation. It really just boils down to what you are comfortable with. If you are OK doing project-centric work rather than being a staffer and doing whatever comes down the corporate pipeline then it might be for you. If you are ok buying your own insurance, contributing to your own 401K, doing your own payroll and withholdings, etc then it might be for you. Given that companies way over-value their "benefits" to justify the low salaries they pay you can often do a lot better being independent - especially if you continually market yourself and build up your professional network.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

I, um, don't see that you've disagreed with anything I said. Nor do I disagree with anything you've said. :P

I just mentioned the 1099 thing because I personally loathe paperwork. I didn't mean to imply you got taxed a greater amount, only more often.

While some contract work is in the at home office, other gigs can involve major air miles. Even the at home contractor is usually dragged to a site now and then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 June 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

I, um, don't see that you've disagreed with anything I said. Nor do I disagree with anything you've said. :P

Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought it was odd because I usually agree with your posts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

The most I've every made was about $140k per year (for little over a year). It was a niche market, the company I worked for was the only one doing anything in this area, I was the only one in the company doing this thing, so they could charge what they liked (just FYI, they charge companies $1200/day for my services) and I could charge them what I liked. After I'd exhausted the market, they dumped me faster than you can say "Overpriced" :)/>

This post has been edited by Momerath: 17 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +