C++ newbie here!!!!!!

i have no idea......

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 2341 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2002 - 01:17 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C++ newbie here!!!!!!

Posted 04 January 2002 - 12:30 PM

now im angry, i followed the link to planet source code and downloaded a bunch of C++ 3d apps, i open the main .cpp file and try to compile, however with every one of them, it cant find a library or file even when its in the folder, and similar problems, i dont understand where i get all these libaries from, how to install them, and why these developers think i have all this stuff. i even have direct x 7 sdk installed. im running visual c++ 6.thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2002 - 03:09 PM

Check the library paths of the project your working on and make sure you have the librarys you downloaded specified there.

Now for some C# stuff. C sharp is somewhat like Java only the whole .net thing is mush more. The way .net works is simalar to Java by compiling source code into bytecode that needs an interpreter to run it. However the way that .NET was developed was so that the cbytecode is language independent. .NET compilers weather they be C#, VB.NET or C++.NET all output the same bytecode. The interpreter doesn't care what language the code was written in so it makes for a very robust platform that supports many languages. A unix port is very possable if Microsoft decides to go that direction all they would have to do is port the interpreter.

C++ will still be alive in .NET and I don't think that it will ever go away in lau of C#. Althought writing c++.net code is much different than writing windows apps with winAPI or MFC. C# takes most of its functionality from C++ so converting over is rather simple if you know c++ well.

Cheers Sam :)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2002 - 09:33 PM

I think nighthawk  is a  Microsoft "Agent", and C++ is not outdated, I just got Star Trek Armada (the first one), the game is like a year old, and it was programmed in c++, and i'm haveing lots of fun tinkering.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2002 - 07:11 PM

C++    "C#"   rules my friends!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lucky.Code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2002 - 10:27 PM

*points to slashdot article
http://slashdot.org/...2/02/07/1433250
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2002 - 01:17 AM

C++ will most likely not be replaced for a long time. All 3D Windows games currently are written so they utilize DirectX and OpenGL, and most of that work is used using C++. Most software apps for Windows, are written using Visual C++ so it takes advantage of its speed; any other reason to use other languages, such as VB would be for less complex apps. Linux and Unix both depend on C, and also C++ (mostly C though).

There are tons of libraries out there for C++. I doubt that C# will be a competitor anytime soon as already thousands of developers are satisfied with C++. It'll be a while until the .NET framework catches on I think. I think it's a great idea, but it's still relatively new, and in the Microsoft environment, "new" means "buggy."

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +