3 Replies - 393 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2011 - 09:13 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

basic script

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this post is incorrectly placed or violates rules. I am very tech-based, but my absolute programming knowledge is pretty dismal.

Anyways, I wanted to create a simple script to run on WinXP to open a few programs and enter a username/password. I wanted to use this for work, since when I sit at my workstation, I need to open several programs with different usernames and passwords. I figure I can create a script mimicking keystrokes on a keyboard for this to work. I am not asking you to code but for simple guidance/tutorial that will help me get started.

Basically, I would need to open program, delay, [tab] keystroke username, [tab] password, [enter] --> delay. open program #2, repeat that stuff, etc..

Thanks so much, and apologize for incorrect placement or violation of any rules.

-thebeen

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: basic script

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: basic script

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

Moved to *other languages* in hopes of saving you from the rash of C/C++ programmer's trying to explain how to do this with the Win32 API.

Basically this is the kind of think I would probably look at AutoHotKeyor AutoIT. These are macro programming languages that let you automate tasks. With AutoHotKey you can record scripts and play them back and the mouse and keyboard will act just as they did when you were in control.

However you will probably only want to use the recording to get you started. Then you open the script and edit it to ensure that it can deal with differences between the setup when you recorded the script and what might exist when you run the script.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

Nick, thanks for the quick reply! I'll look into these for sure, thanks so much!!

quickly looking at AutoHotKey -- can the script be launched without autohotkey pre-installed on the system. I basically wanted to create a universal script that could work on any computer with a similar workstation setup (i sit on a different computer each day)

Thanks Nick
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Autohotkey can compile a script to an .exe that you can execute without installing anything. I believe that AutoIt also has pretty good portability.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1