Future of C++

C++ Programming language

Page 1 of 1

13 Replies - 2116 Views - Last Post: 13 November 2001 - 03:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Future of C++

Posted 11 November 2001 - 09:46 PM

I was wondering how many of you are new to C++.  I have been tossing around the idea for a long time of learning this language.  I have been doing PHP for web development and would like to get into a more powerful language.

When I ask other people what I should learn they always mention some RAD language like VB.

I know you can do alot more with C++ then write DOS programs but It seems like everyone is moving to RAD tools and support for DOS is next to none.

Most of the RAD Tools themselves are created in VC++.  Please let mek now your comments or thoughts.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Future of C++

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Re: Future of C++

Posted 11 November 2001 - 09:50 PM

vc++ is extremly powerful, good to learn just because so much is coded is c++ or a c++ look-alike
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2001 - 09:54 PM

so your not learning it yet? just makin it clear first...

second of all, the langauge your wanting to learn, all depends on your interest, the thing about C++ is, it does a lot more than people give it credit for.. all they see is beginners dos programs, and figure to #### with it..

but let me tell ya, that whole billion dollar games industry, its all running on C++. C++ will become more used, as more peopele see how truly powerful it is.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2001 - 09:56 PM

I took the time to learn c++ and i think that there are betterlanguages out there, unless of course you like c++'s ability to work on any OS.  But in a WIN32 world, i would go with VB(visual basic). It has the most power over windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2001 - 09:59 PM

nice thing about c++ is that it is easily ported with realtivly few modifications
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2001 - 10:03 PM

actually, C++ in my opinion is just as powerful in windows as VB, its just that VB has the easier graphical interface, which is all compiler...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2001 - 10:07 PM

learn c++ and stick it on your resume and ppl will eat out of your hands in a little while
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2001 - 10:21 PM

im just starting Visual Basic , i mean JUST starting , readig some books and stuff , looks cool , i want to do more with C++ also when i get the time , really all i want to say is WELCOME TO DIC INIGO ! i saw your from St.paul mn , im from Isanti MN ( Near Anoka ) and im glad to see another minnesotaian on here = )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2001 - 04:21 PM

Yea i agree with everyone who is saying that c++ is a good language. Ive been learning/using it for about a year now and it's very nice. Also, like blutrane said, slap it on a resume` and people will be eating out of your hand :). Also, i don't know VB but, im sure c++ and vb are pretty #### equal in their potential.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2001 - 05:04 PM

#1. Don't learn VB now, since Microsoft is about to release a new version which will change just about all of it.
#2. C/C++ are the most common languages for development. Period.
#3. C/C++ are much lower level than VB (a good thing, to an extent). They're also much faster and produce smaller executables (more good things).
#4. C/C++ are internationally standardized, they don't change randomly, and aren't owned by any company.
#5. There are almost no DOS programs anymore. Console does NOT equal DOS. Console is still a valid method of development. If you've ever used many of the GNU command line tools, there is no way you can say they aren't powerful ;). And, because they're command line, you can more easily port them to other OS's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2001 - 05:06 PM

yea, thats something i forgot to say, altough it looks like dos, its not actually dos, its kind of a pseudo dos, what i meant to say, was thats the impression lots of people get when they see it... good points null and void
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2001 - 10:34 PM

Umm. Sorry to disagree with everyone, but c/c++ is a lower level language than VB but for windows VB is more powerful, c/c++ is better at hardware.  Sure you can do a lot with c/c++ I’m not saying you can't, nor am I saying you can do more with VB, However all programming languages have their strengths and weaknesses, including these.  And VB was designed to appeal to Microsoft windows.  Visual Basic is also one of the easiest languages to learn, it works on any windows OS so you don’t have to worry about OS variances, and all the VB version are very similar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2001 - 12:24 AM

Just so it's out there, I'm going to say those three forbidden letters...

M...

F...

C...

*shudder*
There, now we can continue with this topic without the weight on our shoulders.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lucky.Code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2001 - 03:52 PM

C++ can access memory much easier then VB. If you look at vb it isn't that far off from (yes i am going to say those evil 3 letters too) MFC programming.

C++ has tremendous powers. Might I add vb makes some nasty lookin games.;)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1