• +
  • Last »

61 Replies - 13545 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why Microsoft has made developers horrified about coding for Windows 8

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

I want Microsoft to announce that in Window8, legacy products will no longer be able to run. Managed code only.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

hear hear!

:D

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 17 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

I can't believe that Microsoft would ever turn its back on their developers

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:09 AM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 17 June 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

Managed code only.

That would be awesome! Alas, some fundamental elements of the .NET framework still seem to have unmanaged crutches. I fear the dream may have been abandoned because it was "too hard." I'd also like WinFS. They've had a few years, after all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 18 June 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 17 June 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

Managed code only.

Alas, some fundamental elements of the .NET framework still seem to have unmanaged crutches.

What if Windows 8 is based off the research OS Singularity? It had very little unmanaged code, rest was entirely managed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

all C++ apps and other apps will still work for windows 8 but needs to be developed in other OS's like windows 7. Windows 8 is getting rid of programming in c++ and many other languages. For windows 9 they are thinking to completely go with html5 and javascript. This is their push with windows 8 to get you prepared for windows 9 not allowing any c++ program to run. So they are giving you time to change your ways before the change occurs.

This is what their api will be based on. I think it makes sense to do this. Seems like they are trying to get OS'S more cloud friendly. The only thing is that they will piss off alot of coders of this occurs and forces them to no be able to do what they did in the past. Some will require going back to college to learn web technology.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

I would love to see sources on your comments hockey...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

I think they are talking for the new GUI features only i dont think they will leave .NET just like that specially since they develop it for so long. But thats my point of view only. I think its still too soon and we are just speculating on the theme
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

i still question the why on how they handled this situation but maybe i'm giving them too much credit, but i dont see them forgetting about .NET and everything that goes with it anytime soon. I can't imagine the millions of dollars they have invested in .NET and all the languages so i really doubt they will just up and forget about. Its dumb on their part for handling it this way but i'm going to wait and see until i jump to conclusions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Windows 8 is getting rid of programming in c++ and many other languages.

Source for this information? In fact, it was announced that build, the next Microsoft conference, will have many news for C++ developers and C++ as a language will play a major role in Windows 8. Relax, people. Managed and unmanaged languages will still be there, as each of them has its own use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

For those that haven't read this, here is a good link...

http://arstechnica.c...eam-reborn.ars/

It has some interesting parts in it.

XAML and the WPF-like, Silverlight-like way of developing GUIs are going to be absolutely central to Windows development in the future. Testament to their new importance is a reorganization that occurred at the start of this week. Instead of operating under DevDiv's roof, the XAML team has been broken into three parts. The group working on XAML and related technology for use in Windows has moved to WinDiv, and the group working on it for Windows Phone, Xbox, and the browser plugin has moved to Windows Phone. Only the group that works on the developer tools—including Visual Studio and Expression Blend—is staying behind in DevDiv. The internal Microsoft e-mail announcing the change notes that the XAML team has been working with the Windows team for the duration of Windows 8's development; this move simply makes them a formal part of the UI team.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

It sounds like the same crap that Apple does with Cocoa. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be forced to use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Microsoft isn't going to rid of .NET at all. First off, it is a completely separate entity then HTML5/Javascript. Also, .NET is finally getting to the matured age and I highly...HIGHLY doubt they would get rid of it at this point in the game. It would be of no benefit to them.

As for why they are waiting so long? Because they can... After all, we're talking about it, aren't we?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:32 AM

Thought I'd share this also. While still nothing official from Microsoft, this is a thread from a couple of guys that have the leaked Windows 8 build 7989. Another good read. They are finding some interesting things, like it seems that .Net 4.5 will come with Windows 8.

http://forums.mydigi...F-SL-developers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:55 AM

A decade has gone by and NET has gone nowhere. It was supposed to be an all encompassing platform, eventually absorbing... EVERYTHING out there. That didn't happen, obviously, and before anyone tries to do some historical revisionism, I was there. The MS sponsored conferences in late 2001 and mid 2002. The panic of early 2003 when Microsoft realized there were massive flaws platform-wise and it wasn't catching on nearly as fast as they hoped. (I remember a MS rep standing in front of an audience, which I was part of, and saying as a matter of fact that by 2005 nearly 100% framework penetration was assured. HAH!) In 2003 it was pretty obvious to most veterans what was going on. They started showering us with freebies. Not unusual for MS, but this was way, WAY out there. Personally, in 2003 I wasn't a active MSDN participant yet in what I saw as an act of desperation, MS sent out nearly $10,000 worth of material to some 4000 people, including me. They were desperate. That was 2003. Anyone who didn't see this crap coming THEN, was either too young or too stupid. NET failed as a platform, a failure almost from the start.

My favorite? I love how they kept moving the goalposts. First it was supposed to be everything and everywhere. Heck, the next OS (Longhorn) was supposed to be a NET platform showcase. Yet not a single component or even the simplest app that shipped with the OS (which was called Vista in the end) was NET dependent. Probably because according to most leaks to date, the bloated buggy mess of a OS that was supposed to showcase NET and its supposed versatility, well it was scrapped by all accounts somewhere in 2004. To date nothing of any importance has been done in NET by MS internally. Nothing OS-wise, or MS-office-wise, or anything-of-any-importance-wise.

In the 2005-2008 period they tried to salvage what little of the dream was left and attempted a final NET push onto the desktop environment. It failed. Decade later, how many apps written in NET of any import can be found in the retail or shrinkwrap space? You know what, forget retail or shrinkwrap, how about just "out there" as far as regular desktop user is concerned? Paint.NET? HAH! So now they have finally resigned and relegated NET to various server and intranet ecosystems, as can be seen from their language. Saying "Hey, that was our plan from the beginning!". Yeah, right.

In simple terms, my NET platform aficionados:

Game over.

Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »