• « First

61 Replies - 9776 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why Microsoft has made developers horrified about coding for Windows 8

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

Posted Image

Just had to, thank you random button on XKCD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Why Microsoft has made developers horrified about coding for Windows 8

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

I believe most of the hate is just a combination of clinging to the past, as well as lack of understanding.

What developers need to realize is that the traditional model of computing is dead, or at least soon to be. Large desktop systems are barely sold these days, and laptops themselves are growing less popular. Mobile devices, such as phones and tablets, simply fill the need of the average user; there is no need to go around carrying a 6 kilogram Vaio.

That facilitates the use of new technology in development, or at least a shift in mindset with the old one; Sure, Metro is a bit of an odd thing for the standard desktop and web programmer. Applications used to be all about presentation; standard apps were pushed to the front, simply because they looked ,,professional" and pretty. In the metro dev paradigm, appearance has to be simplified, because most computers these days have small screens. That's basically the issue with metro most devs have today - but, I believe metro represents all computing is going to be for the next 5-6 years. Also, there is actually a lot you can use metro with: you can do it with the ,,new" dev stack of HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript, you can do it with .NET, or you can do it natively. Natively s a bit of a imploded term here; basically, you can either go the C++ route (C should be tricky, as the API's are object oriented, though you *could* do it with some pointer kung fu), or you can just pump out assembly. And it will still work; though the assembly part isn't going to be portable.

WHen it comes to portability, there is another thing very few people are realizing, to my surprise; and that is: the word has changed meaning. Portable meant something that works on multiple software platforms (e.g operating systems). But now, portable is all about hardware, instead. If you can take your metro program from the AMD64 to the ARM, run it on Win8 and it works - it's portable. And that is, in my opinion, how it should be.

Just my two cents.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First